Gas mileage

Tyson

Reaction
I have a question that is out of left field, I was wondering if someone could settle a bet.

What kind of gas mileage do TT get?

LIke I said, sorry for the lame question.

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

pciscott

Reaction
1.8 to 3mpg depending on terrain in my truck.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

deleted

----
Reaction
wrong TT get much worse than that. They are about 2 mpg is your really lucky, 1.5 usually. Protrucks get 3 if they are lucky.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
My Truck Jumps So Sick

deleted

----
Reaction
ignor my prior post. PCI Scott is the expert at this level of racing, i bet that fuel injection vs carb. makes a difference as well. I need to try reading before i post.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
My Truck Jumps So Sick

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Holy crap, that's bad! Well, CART cars are only allotted enough methanol that if they don't get 1.8 mpg they won't make it to the finish line. And that's a 1550 lb car on asphalt.

Live your life like a Budweiser commercial

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Shoot...we only get 4 mpg out of our 6 cylinder

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

PLS

Reaction
8-10 in our 5-1600. It isn't the street!
Pete- BOYD RACING

billymanfroy

Reaction
We only get maybe 4 in the desert, and about 1.5 - 2 in the shortcourse races. And that's in a ~2.6L 4-cylinder!!!

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Those are some bad numbers but on anothe racing note top fuel graster I thought got about 10-12 gallons with 1 burn out and then a 1/4 mi run and they run nitro isnt that stuff like $28.00 a gallon but what do you expect from 6000 HP, wow off road is way cheaper :)....Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

martininsocal

Reaction
As a general rule- 10 mpg in a 1600 car. We got about 5mpg with the 7s toy(22R). Who sadi racing was CHEAP?! any class requires some money, but there is a difference between cheap and affordable. Some folks can afford a HUM-V but drive a CHE-V ! Race gas really is a major expense because for most folks, it costs more to buy the gas than the entry fee for the race. Add in tires, a shock or two and thge neccessary rebuilds at regular intervals and you just can't say racing is cheap in any class. But, some classes are more affordable than others.

If your gonna go, go BIG

jcorsico

Reaction
Gas (off-road), alcohol (some road racing), and nitro-methane (Top Fuel), are all fundamentally different types of fuels. So it's hard to compare MPG between the three because each requires a different mixture ratio with air to burn properly. But yes, the NHRA top fuel guys would certainly take credit for burning the most fuel in the shortest period of time, and also the highest per gallon costs. They also have fairly complicated fueling setups, where they have nitro methane in one tank, and plain old alcohol in another, and then they mix them at the engine in a ratio of about 93% nitro to 7% alcohol. Pretty volatile stuff.

ntsqd

Reaction
Not to hijack this thread, but the fuel cars I was around (didn't crew any) only started on straight alcohol. What ever the alcohol to nitro ratio was, was mixed in the trailer b4 being poured into the tank. 97% is a pretty hot pot. I know most (all ?) have gone to dual pumps to get the fuel volume, but this is the first I've heard of on-the-car mixing.
Since Nitro carries it's own oxygen, they've discovered that the engine almost doesn't need to ingest ambient air. Think of a TF/FC engine as an 8 cylinder rocket motor and all the blower does is fan the flame........

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Big cubes in a big car do very well on the street in real world driving...How would a Big Block Chevrolet with Tuned Port EFI do out there??? It would be mostly cruising at any vehicle speed. Right?

<font color=blue>"A Ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"</font color=blue>

jcorsico

Reaction
Well, I got that information from a crew member on a top fuel team at an NHRA event I went to in September. I was speaking to him in the pits as they were rebuilding between runs. It's always possible, however, that he was wrong or I heard him wrong. And I have to admit, it seems unlikely that they mix the fuel in the car rather than in the pits, but that's what he told me. He also stated that they used to run 100% nitro-methane, but that was too volatile and it became dangerous because cars would routinely have violent explosions, so current NHRA rules limit them to 93% nitro and 7% alcohol.

And yes, they were all running dual fuel pumps. The mechanic said they would start the car on one pump, do the burn out on one pump, and then when they were staging behind the christmas tree, activate the second pump to go to full fuel pressure. I didn't get to ask him why they only started and did the burn out on one pump however, so I have to admit, I don't understand what's going on there, especially because the cars sound different when they activate the second pump. The engines run smoother and coughing is less pronounced.

And they were running about 50psi on the blower, which to me just seemed totally insane. It was quite a show.