Gas Prices!

WRC

Reaction
Got this in my e-mail....... not a bad idea.

Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.
Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.97 for regular unleaded in some towns.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of
gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:
For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline
from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally million! s of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again,all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES
TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND
KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Sean</font color=red>

choppekx

Reaction
What gas stations do exxon and mobile own. I am sure they own parts of other companies especially since I rarely see exxon or mobiles anymore. Are they in with Shell, Cheveron-Texaco, Arco, Dimond, 76, . e.t.c.? I thought that I heard that exxon owned Cheveron, but I honestly have no idea.

Chris

tkr

Reaction
I'm pretty sure Mobil and BP are the same.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

BradM

Reaction
BP/Amoco an Arco had a merger pending government approval due to a monopoly on the North Slope of Alaska at Prudhoe Bay if the deal went through. I believe Arco sold their interest on the slope to Marathon preserve the deal. Exxon/Mobil are the same. Chevron/Texaco are the same. I believe Shell was involved in a merger as well but I can't remember with whom.

All this crap about consumers manipulating the gas prices by boycots is BS. If you want to complain about the price of fuel start with the state of California. If our gasoline taxes weren't so exorbitant, our gas prices would be much lower.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I may eat my words but gas will NOT go to 3 bucks a gallon this summer. Ask any legitimate economist.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I agree Kris. No way will it go to three dollars a gallon. If it does, we will eat our words together!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Gas has the possiblity to go even higher than that depending on the consumption of the consumer. Look what happened in the 70's (I was a mere toddler but still remember history), nobody saw it coming and it happened.

OPEC decided not to allow more production of oil even though consumption has gone up. This will and has affected the gas prices.

NEVER SAY NEVER!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

BradM

Reaction
I don't buy into that philosophy. The strategists and economists have been claiming for over a year that there exists a huge surplus of oil and gas (natural gas) but no one can actually point it out or identify it. It has to do with proving their theories about the market fluctuations. I think it is all BS and now the reality is starting to sink in that there is no surplus. I know first hand that natural gas storage levels in the US are way down and oil is being produced as fast a economically feasible. What we really need is to open up offshore drilling again and to continue to pursue exploration in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. A compromise can be achieved where the resources can be exploited and the environment can be cared for at the same time. We have to cut our dependence on foriegn oil. Otherwise, the impending conflicts in the Mid East will just make things worse.

I don't see gas prices hitting $3 thi year but I think it will continue to rise for a while. I look for long term prices to stabilize at or near $2.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
The price of gas is inelastic, however, at a certain point it fails to become economically feasible for the consumer (and I'm not talking about Joe Blow filling up his car, I'm talking about the airlines industry, the government, huge corporations with large fleets of cars) to use. At which point the government is forced to step in and either increase consumption of the U.S. reserves, or force some kind of deal with OPEC. Currently, three a gallon is not economically feasible for an economy in a recession as is ours. The airline industry would be crippled!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
From NYT

"The London benchmark Brent crude oil rose 58 cents to $23.91 a barrel Monday, while U.S. light, sweet crude jumped 48 cents to close at $24.32 a barrel. But gasoline inventories remain robust and above average, according to the American Petroleum Institute. John Felmy, chief economist for the Washington-based trade group, said the stockpiles of conventional -- versus special summer grade -- gasoline are at 117.4 million barrels, compared with the 113.4 million barrels the nation had on hand a year ago.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, which produces 40 percent of the world's oil, began cutting crude-oil production in January. The 11-member cartel is scheduled to meet Friday in Vienna to discuss what to do about future production.

In the United States, the summer driving season officially begins in May, on Memorial Day weekend, and industry observers say prices are likely to level off before then because supply is expected to increase. Domestic refineries say they are gearing up production of special summer-grade gasoline that is used in many cities, including those in metro Detroit, between June and September.

"Once you get closer to the first week of May, refiners are building their stocks to meet the summer driving season," said Gheit. "So barring the derailment of the economy's recovery, I think the prices at the pump will stay close to their current levels.""

AS long as we don't piss of Sadam we should be ok.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I feel if the do go higher we'll be punching holes in alaska again.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

martininsocal

Reaction
guys- you have to realize that opec is really I failed spelling when it comes to production. just because they supply it doesn't mean they are the only ones with it! the U.S strategy for at least 3 decades(on the national level) has always been to use the other guys oil. we have reserves, untapped sources, etc...the only real problem is Billary Clinton sold some of those to private industry, but they still haven't tapped into them. mexico, south america, and russia can kick opecs ass in production if asked. even africa has been surveyed and found to have larger underground sources than the middle east. why do we use the middle east? it has been somewhat reliable, politcally stable, and they haven't tried to ripp anyone off. it has always been show. the oil crisis in the 70's? purely economical gain. we never even came close to running out of oil, even 30 years later! what it did was create the oppurtunity to open new fields for future use and remind opec that they weren't the only show in town. the latest is purely profiteers trying to capitalize on the mideast crisis. kinda like the electrical farce of last year.

another real issue is the environmentalists would rather see us all living in caves heating with methane gas(from our asses) than driving cars and using electric lights. hell, theycan't even support windmills in the banning pass area because they make noise and scare animals and kill birds that fly through them. i don't get it...

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

scott

Reaction
I think exxon is a part of chevron....but I think a better way for the consumer to get even is to....Buy stock in oil companies, when the prices go up so does the stock, stock goes down then you win at the pumps again.....A win/win situation....

martininsocal

Reaction
scott- you have missed much of the supply/demand economics class. haven't you seen all the incremental increases in the per barrel price vs the huge increases in the at the pump cost? every time a barrel of crude goes up 1cent, you will see a 3-5 cent increase at the pump. its the IGM mentality(I got mine!) and they all use the excuse for profits. here is a true stories that will blow your mind.

a few years ago, there were 2 refinery fires in california, if this had happened anywhere else, it would be no biggie, but since california requires designer gas that no other states use, it is refined here. there would now be a shortage of gasoline in california and local prices(statewide) began about a 25-30 cent increase due to the shortage. what the wholesalers, retailers, and refiners didn't bother to tell you was they just increased the amount of MTBE they put in the gasoline to make up the difference from the actual loss of gas, and made profit on top of a bad situation. the best part is, this is when MTBE really came to the forefront as a carcinogen and was now being proposed for elimination from gas as an additive. more money and more cancer, even the doctors will get rich off this scheme!

it is all about profit. the petroleun industry has been looping the system since the days they bought up the red line and tore out all the trolley tracks from socal. can't sell gas to trolley riders, but you sure can sell gas, tires, and cars to folks that have to commute to work from the valley! the electric company learned the scam just recently and low and behold, we plenty of unscheduled repair shut downs, etc... last year. amazing what that can do to the spot market! and wasn't it amazing how the breakdowns went from one supplier to the next? what a coincidence. and why wasn't the state inspectors aloud in to check on repairs and damage when these occured? maybe it was because saddam husein was making baby food in those places!

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

martininsocal

Reaction
p.s. exxon owns mobil-they were suppose to phase out the mobil stations a few years back, but decided to keep them up and running for awhile after they had a minor mishap in alaska(i believe it occured in valdez) something about marketing and bad publicity! i know this for a fact. one of their mobil stationsClosed now) is leaking a plume of mtbe under my fire station and they had to drill test wells all over our lawn and wrecked the grass and test every week. so far, they denie any claims that the plume will ever surface.

If your gonna go, go BIG

scott

Reaction
The supply and demand, dollars and cents per barrel increase......what does that have to do with you the consumer getting stock in the companies and making money on the stock when the prices are driven up... then when the stock goes down in price that means your gas is more in likely going down..
How are you losing ????? People bitch about $2.50 for a gallon of gas but yet everyone doesn't bitch about paying almost $4 a gallon for milk, or even better yet 32 oz. of water for close to $2 a bottle.....
Good thing we aren't using evian, or jerseymaid for fuel !!!!!!!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I have probably received 3 or 4 e-mails that are similar to that for the last year or two. Gas prices have never gone that high, and nobody ever boycotts the gas stations..... they just talk.... it's the american way.... :) its that simple

The corporate Chevron building near me now reads "ChevronTexaco" don't know about the others. Tesoro just bought the Ultramar refinery near me also.(we do their signs)

Curtis

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I think the people who buy chevron don't care about paying too much for gas so you'll never get them to boycott. My parents buy chevron in their town, and it is always about 20 cents higher than the place across the street. Luckily where i'm at there is a 76 that is always about the same as the arco down the street, so that keeps me happy...but I'm paying $1.63 right now. a couple months after it was $0.99 that's just not cool.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Scott, we don't need $4 milk or $2 bottled water to get to work and play. The U.S. NEEDS gasoline to survive economoically. We can live without milk or water economically. We could drink tap water. We choose to pay those prices. Just like we choose to pay for gas at a higher rate.

The damn oil companies always raise their prices just before summer and throughout the summer. It pisses me off SOOOOOOO much because being a teacher, I do most of my traveling during the summer months. Bastards!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

martininsocal

Reaction
waldo is right, and i don't pay 4 bucks for milk- get a vons club card and get 2 gallons for 4 bucks. i also live where i don't have to buy bottled water, but you folks are paying through the nose for it!(arrowhead, big bear, etc...) show me one year where the gas companies didn't make a profit? just one. the only time oil stock drops is when they do something wrong(like spill a little oil in alaska and are found negligent) it is big business, always making a buck. the profits are garunteed. they turn money losing propositions into profits on the backs of consumers. doctors do it, electricicity companies do it, all business does it. they have something happen that would cost them money, they just pass it on to the consumer. some things the consumer has the ability to say no, not purchase, and the company has to eat the loss to stay in business, other things(neccessities)like gas, electricity, etc... just screw you to maintain profit margins, keep share holders happy, and create excuses for the cost uprise(middle east, drought, refinery fire, scheduled maintenance). remember the last draught? everyone was suppose to conserve water? we did it so well, that MWD got a request approved to increase water rates because everyone was using less and their profits were down! the only way to make something like this work is to go sole source for gas, everyone buys there, the other retailers start losing money, and they have to reduce prices or close the doors.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG