gas to diesel swap

dunerking

Reaction
Hoping to get some referals as to who could fab & complete a project to be finished.Looking to fab something that will tow a 15,000lb fifth wheel trailer,daily drive,decent offroading.Donor truck is a 79 ford f-350 standard cab,longbed,4x4.Would like to ditch the tired 400 in exchange for a 98 24 valve cummins diesel(no smog,gas mileage,towing cap.).Suspension,simple Deaver springs with some 7100 bilstens?Would like to keep ride as plush as possible,while still being able to tow the trailer down to Glamis.Would like to find professional fabicator to take on project(will spend the cash for real quality work).

hit it hard

K5Blazer

Reaction
Try giving this place a call. I was in there once and was talking to the owner and they just happen to be swapping a diesel into a older dodge truck.

Mike Murphy
California Customs
(760)244-4717

Reaction
There is an article on this swap in the Feb. 2003 OFF-ROAD Mag. Spirit Racing in El Cajon just did the same transplant in a mid 90's F350 Crew Cab.

dunerking

Reaction
Thank you for the heads up.I'm hoping to find the right fabicator who will be as involved in this project as i will be.Once again thank you for the info.....dunerking.

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
Thank you for the advice,hoping the info will take me in the right direction.Looking forward to starting this project(and finishing).Thanks again.......dunerking.

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
Thanks for the info,just in the pocess of trying to contact some of these resources. Would like to ask for the number for TST?Picked up the 2003 off-road mag,very good article.Brought up some more questions 1)transmission on donor is c-6 with married transfer case,is there an adaptor for cummins diesel to c-6,or do you have to run the dodge transmission(which would involved more fab & more $).2)The shop that did the swap was located in South Carolina,would like to keep this project in Southrern California,as well as to keep the quality of work up.

hit it hard

MNotary

Reaction
TST (Joe Donnelly, x Cummins engineer) has a web site. Apparently the most knowedgeable on the Cummins.

Also check the TDR, and Diesel Ram Forum web sites also. Dodge gear box is easy. It has a way to high reverse gear though. May not work for your application...

Watch who you get to do the work. Check out the shops closely. Cleanliness and how they answer the phone. If you aren't familiar with them, get familiar. Find the customers, not just the hanger arounds. I have horror stories....

shrek

Reaction
I have the best advise by far...................................Buy a new ford with a power stroke!! ha ha

good luck........

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

dunerking

Reaction
Mnotary,appreciate the web site info.I'll check them out and get a few tele numbers.In the 03 off-road mag,seen a web site for a fordcummins,maybe a good source of info.As going out and buying a new ford with a power stroke.........I already own a 2000 crew cab, SB,power stroke.Sold 2001 weekend warrior & 4 seat long travel car & in the process of selling 91 toy & 2000 ford.I guess I would rather spend 10,000 to 15,000 paid off to finacing 35,000 for 5years.Any ways back to my project at hand,haven't found a listing to Spirit racing in El cajon.Called over to H&M spoke with a guy named Dave,said he was into making necessary motor mounts,intercooler,radiator,suspension,etc....but not so into final motor touches.But will try calling around.Maybe thinking more about using all Dodge motor trans,transfer case?????Thanks again for the tips,hope to get started!

hit it hard

MNotary

Reaction
If you can get "perfect work" from a couple of places, that may be the way to go.

I am pulling the body off to correct all my "problems".

Check them out carefully. You amy spend more but it will be worth it.

dunerking

Reaction
Wow just got done checking out Spirit racing web site,looking forward to giving those guys a call this coming week.Looks like they take there work pretty serious & have the open minded vision to maybe take this project head on.Thanks for the web site source.......Dunerking

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
Ramsey thanks for the tip.Going to call those guys some time this week,hoping that i will hear some good news,wll report the info I get from calling them.The way there web site explains there work seems like there the right people.Thanks again for the info.

hit it hard

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
I've used Spirit and several other shops. Spirit's quotes are expensive BUT they are
also the only shop I've ever dealt with that hit the estimate AND turned out flawless work.
Both the prep and fab work from that shop are second to none.

dunerking

Reaction
Chris I appreciate hearing the good news.Nothing worse than a shop telling you that they can do the job 500 then you go to pick up the goods and now he says 750 what gives?With all this said now even more excited to give Spirit a call.Seem like they may have most of the answers to my dumb questions.Thanks again.

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
What's going on out there?Well I called over to Spirit this morning and spoke with a Jeremy(really easy guy to talk to)gave him a brief run down on what I was looking to down,and he had mentioned that they were either about to finish or had finished near the same of swap in a mid 90's ford.A little excited to hear that they have done something close to what I'm planning on doing!Through talking with him he had mentioned that after finishing, the truck ate 3 torque converters.This he said was do to Banks kit that had been installed and not beefing up the (dodge)transmission,now producing 700lbs of torque.He was quoting me in the ballpark of 10,000 just for labor.......ouch,that's not including the motor,trans,transfer case.But there is no doubt about the quality of work.
Called over to H&M and spoke to a guy Dave,seems just as eager.Has anyone experienceed any of there work?

hit it hard

dunerking

Reaction
Just starting to maybe get a little discouraged that my project I was really looking forward to doing may have to go in the trash can,I may have been a little to hopeful about this whole project.I just didn't want to dump 15,000 to have it half way finished.Maybe somebody out there may have some other options.Maybe I should go and buy 95-98 Dodge diesel,but I really don'y care much for them,was looking forward to restoring this classic truck with some new school guts
If anyone has any advice please help.

hit it hard