Gas vs Diesel

trenchless

Reaction
What kind of mpg are you guys getting? I'm getting around 13 combined from my 01 2500HD 2WD with the 6.0. I use it for work and do around 200 +miles a day, maybe tow about 30% of the time. I was wondering if a diesel would be better or worse, may be a 1/2 ton with a V8 would be better yet?

TauMau

Reaction
Newer turbo diesels will yield you much better fuel economy whether or not you're towing. I'm pretty sure same story for older ones as well. Unless you do a Cummins swap I'd recommend staying away from Fords. I'm a Ford guy but am not going to pretend their diesels are as reliable as Chevy.

Ryno

Reaction
it all depends on your right foot. I know guys getting 20mpg out of duramaxes, but they have to keep it @ 65. I get about 15mpg out of my 2500hd 8.1, on the highway. Keep in mind, the truck gets driven about 3500 miles a year, and is mainly a tow vehicle. My toy hauler has a fuel station on it....when I'm done for the weekend, I pump it back in the truck. Works out well, otherwise, I'd have to stop on the way home for gas.

Chase 2

Reaction
My new 3/4 ton 4x4 Duramax with the LMM motor is getting just under 15 around town as a daily driver. Much better than the 11 I was getting with my 04 Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 gas. The power is awesome and right now diesel is cheaper than gas at the pump.

trenchless

Reaction
The diesels do that much better around town? I'm a contractor so my truck sees in town use as much as highway. I'm wondering how much $ I could save if any. I'm open to Ford or Dodge, or another Chevy.

Chase 2

Reaction
The diesels do that much better around town? I'm a contractor so my truck sees in town use as much as highway. I'm wondering how much $ I could save if any. I'm open to Ford or Dodge, or another Chevy.
Yeah and I've still only got like 4k miles on it, it should get better as it breaks in. This is my first diesel and I love it. Its much quieter than the old ones and with the new fuel it doesn't even reek. Go check them out. If you go 2X you'll get super mileage.

hammer down racing

Reaction
Newer turbo diesels will yield you much better fuel economy whether or not you're towing. I'm pretty sure same story for older ones as well. Unless you do a Cummins swap I'd recommend staying away from Fords. I'm a Ford guy but am not going to pretend their diesels are as reliable as Chevy.
The new Ford diesels suck. The old 7.3s are still ba, though.

lowdownndirty

Reaction
my 2000 f250 7.3 crew cab 4x4 on 35's with 373's and the auto got a avg of 15-17 with mixed driving and a medium foot and as good as 19 on the highway empty running at 65-70

5.3Ranger

Reaction
my 07 classic 2500HD LBZ Duramax with 38k miles gets 14-16mpg on the street & 18-21mpg on the highway as long as I keep it under 2000 rpms all the time. Cruises at 70mph/1800rpm on the freeway with 33's. On the other hand my 8.1 big block 2500 Suburban gets 9mpg on the street & 11-12mpg on the freeway... towing something heavy it prob gets 5 or 6 mpg. Now I see why they stopped making the 8.1, too bad Chevy doesn't make a 2500 Sub with a 6.6 Duramax. That would be the ultimate family wagon. Also. besides my Ranger Race truck, I wouldn't never think of buying a Ford, buts that just me!!!

gunit

Reaction
I have a '05 Duramax with 75K miles, my combined city/hwy average mpg empty is about 16.

I have gotten as high as 20 mpg hwy. However, the hwy mileage is very speed sensitive and it gets about 17.5 when you drive 75 on cruise.

I get 10.5 to 11 towing my Bronco prerunner, I usually keep it under 70 while towing.

mebuildit

Reaction
I have an '02 Ford crewcab 7.3 dually, I only get 14 in town due to the fact of I have 4:10's in the rear (big mistake). Everyone I know is running 3:73's with better luck on the fuel mileage.

As for buying a diesel? Yes, they are the workhorses no matter which one you get. I'm sure that all of the big 3 companies have their weakness, but look at what you will be doing and choose wisely.

I have always had Ford's in my driveway and always will. That doesn't mean that Chevy or Dodge doesn't make a good truck.

Good luck with your choice.

Wild bill

Reaction
Here's the data I can provide. 06 Dodge mega cab 4X4 cummins gets 12 in town and 16 on the highway. 06 Dodge quad cab 2x4 cummins gets 15 in town and 19 on the highway.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Simple bolt-on mods like mild chip, intake and exhaust will also free up some additional MPG as long as you don't keep your foot planted on the floor!!!

Modern diesels are great!!!

A word of warning though, while I have yet to hear someone complain about the power of the 6.4-liter Power Stroke Ford, I have heard MANY owners complain about the mileage!!!! If you are looking for good mileage you need to look at a Chevy or Dodge. With the Chevy's holding a slight edge.

In my opinion, Ford builds the best chassis and suspension with a so-so engine, while the Chevy has the best trans, a good engine and good body, finally the Dodge has the best engine with a so-so trans and chassis...

Have fun making a decision, you should be able to find some great deals right now both new and used!!!

trenchless

Reaction
Looks like another Chevy or a Dodge should be the one to get. I plan on buying used as it will get dinged up pretty fast, what years should I look for? I would like to get a 2500 Dodge 4x4. Whats the mileage difference between a 2WD or 4x4? Thanks for all the input!

Haycock

Reaction
Simple bolt-on mods like mild chip, intake and exhaust will also free up some additional MPG as long as you don't keep your foot planted on the floor!!!

Modern diesels are great!!!

A word of warning though, while I have yet to hear someone complain about the power of the 6.4-liter Power Stroke Ford, I have heard MANY owners complain about the mileage!!!! If you are looking for good mileage you need to look at a Chevy or Dodge. With the Chevy's holding a slight edge.

In my opinion, Ford builds the best chassis and suspension with a so-so engine, while the Chevy has the best trans, a good engine and good body, finally the Dodge has the best engine with a so-so trans and chassis...

Have fun making a decision, you should be able to find some great deals right now both new and used!!!

x2 on everything you said...

i have a 03 dodge 4x4 cummins and i would average about 18-19mpg on the highway then i put a chip in it and would average about 22mpg on the highway and about 19 around town.

if your looking to buy a dodge buy a 04 and a half and newer. they came with the HO motors. i still have not heard to much about the new 6.7 cummins or their new trannys.

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
i have an 04 6.0 psd. i have heard all the horror stories.. but have never had an issue. i run mobil 1 synt. ive towed up and down california with no problems. once clocked 20 mpg with a trailer. between the big three all have their ups and downs. the cummins is a strong engine but dodges are hokey, psd havnt been known not to be the best.. but with some maintainance and controlled driving habits they work damn well. if i had to chose over id get the chevy with the duramax and the allison. chevy interiors are way nicer fit and finish than everyone else.

jbarker@banks

Reaction
When it comes to power and mileage the diesel will win hands down. On average, stock your going to see anywhere between 14-18mpg average with just about any of them. When modified i've seen as high as 23mpg but that is FAR from the norm. When it comes to the newer trucks that are equipped with the DPF systems the mileage will jump around wildly. You can go from 17mpg down to 9-10mpg at the drop of a hat. This is due to the fact the truck uses some diesel to "clean" the dpf out. Your driving habits will determin how often ths happens and how long it takes to "clean" it.

trenchless

Reaction
What mileage could I expect out of 7.3 TD? I'm open to all makes, I'm looking at used from 2001 up, what make would be my best bet? What mileage (how high) should I stay away from>

Ziggy

Reaction
My 07 Dodge 6.7 diesel gets 15 in town and 18 on a long run.Its automatic

Sparky

Reaction
When my Wagoneer had its stock gasser 360, it got 12 average, maybe 14 on the highway. With the diesel it gets just over 22 average and I can pull out almost 25 if I keep it below 70 on the highway. Plus it has tons more power now.