gearing

troyharper

DA Meatball
1 up on the counter, 3 down on the rear baby! (dez) What else is there?

FullsizeFun

On my 01 CR250 I run 14/45 for the Dez, it could be a little taller too, but dont want to go any faster til i put a STEERING DAMPER on it jajaja.

troyharper

DA Meatball
how much difference is there between 14/48 from the stock 13/48?
1 tooth on the counter sproket = 3 on the rear.
So 14/48 =13/45.
Always try to go up in the counter 1 st.

Bmello

I run a 14/51 on a 450x...I would like to drop to a 48 on the rear. Do you guys find that to be a little too tall for the tight stuff? I mostly run open desert, but just curious about the "goat trail" type sections.

LIL ROG

the key is that you dont want to take away too much of your low end. So what you should is buy a 14 and try that out and if you feel like you need some more up top and the low end feels good then drop a tooth or two down on the rear.

rmracer09

the key is that you dont want to take away too much of your low end. So what you should is buy a 14 and try that out and if you feel like you need some more up top and the low end feels good then drop a tooth or two down on the rear.
okay thanks, i know i have to play with some ratios to find the right one, but i needed a basis to start with so thanks t all of you for your help, any further input would also be appreciated.

Dezertpilot

Just an FYI with my 6 speed and 511cc I run 14/48. I can top out at 103mph and its still pretty decent crawling. I mostly always start out in 2nd gear as 1st is too low or is that tall? LOL, but 1st does work awesome when I stop in sand and take off again. But I guess it all depends on what type of bike you have as in an R or X model, how many gears, engine size, etc. But a lot of good info has been offered on the site.

rmracer09

okay well im looking for a longer haul gearing, i run through the gears way to fast with the stock, so will 14/48 give me that?

dirtdudeaz

thats pretty tall harper...sounds like a street/enduro gearing.

try 14/48 and see how that feels. If you still need to space out your gears go down in the back to the 45.

rmracer09

thats pretty tall harper...sounds like a street/enduro gearing.

try 14/48 and see how that feels. If you still need to space out your gears go down in the back to the 45.
alright thank you, i just needed to know if it would space them out a little, thank you everyone!!

Ryno

That's the great thing about a CR250. You can lug it through the low speed stuff. I run 14/48 on mine, and it does fine. I've had it past 80mph. I don't know if a 15t will clear the case.