Gears on 22re?

ThriceGuy

Reaction
I have a 2.4L in my Tacoma and I know I have some more power than the old 22re's. I want to run 33x12.5's and was wondering for you guys with 22re's how is the power with tires bigger than 32's.

My engine is stock and and I am regeared to 4.56 with exhaust and an auto. The power is ok but just worried that I will be too slow with 33's.

gary

Reaction
<-------22r with 4.56s and 33x12.50s, but with a 4 speed manual...power is okay, for no efi, 3000 rpms on the freeway at 70+ mph...ya just gotta talk loud.

cleartoy

Reaction
On my 94 22RE, im running 33s with 488s and lock right, header, 2.25" exhaust and intake. It does ok, not what id call fast, just tollerable. Gearing itself is where it should be, just a slow motor.

If im alowed to get off on a tangent, id like to redo the motor with a strong bottom end, lo comp pistons, and install a turbo. Id probably go down to 430 or 456 gears at that point.

In your case, the displacement is the same as mine, just 4 valve head, DOHC. No difference off the line but more HP mid - top end for sure. If you do alot of freeway driving, id say it would be better from a gas mileage point of view. For more desert\sand freindly gearing, look for 488s.

ThriceGuy

Reaction
Cleartoy..So in other word I will be fine with 4.56's because i do mostly street driving...Thanks

cleartoy

Reaction
Yeah i think that would work well for you.

JasonHutter

Reaction
We are running 5.43's in a Ford 9" behind our 22r with a 4 speed manual transmission and 33x10.50x15's. We aren't doing any freeway miles though. I haven't been able to do it yet but my buddy Paul that I race with had it up to 105mph on the gps at a Primm race! Typically 95-98mph is about all we will get.

Jason

JasonHutter

Reaction
That is about right, we redline at 6500rpm! Most of the time we are in 2nd and 3rd gears anyway, when we are running the top end it usually isn't for very far. We haven't run a Baja race yet though. We will turn 5000-6000rpm all day with that motor.

Jason