Gears??

singlehanded

Reaction
I was wondering what gears to put in the back of my94 ranger. I have a 4 litre/manual transmission with an 8.8 rear end. I am running 33,s right now but going to 35's when tires get low on tread. I saw the chart on the ranger page which recommends 4.56 or 4.88. I also plan on rebuilding engine to around 250 hp later this year. But I was wondering what other people were running. Also whats a good shop in north orange county to buy detroit locker and gears and install them?

THANKS

local

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
This may not apply but.... Recently put a 7.5 ranger rear end in my toyota. It has 4:56 gears and an Auburn limited slip. 31" tires. The gearing makes freeway driving slow going. Max speed is around 75mph in 5th. The 35" tires with 4:56 should be fine in my opinion. The limited slip is SWEET. Was amazed at the differance.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Go for the 4.56s. 4.88s in an 8.8 would not be recommebded by any good gear guy because they have to grind down the gear to get it to fit properly. Notice that Ford does not make anything larger then a 4.56 for the 8.8. That is a good way to tell if you are having a good gear guy do your rear end or not.

Pat what is your overdrive ratio?

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I agree with the 4.56's...It's nice to be able to use your 5th gear as overdrive...4.88's, my guess is you'll be spinnin' 3500 rpms at freeway speed...not good for gas consupmtion.
Jaron

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
What is your gear ratio now? If you have 3.08's and were happy with the performance with stock tires then go with 4.10's, 3.55's go with 4.34's and 3.73's go with 4.56's . My personal opinion is that 4.56 are to low for the highway for your aplication. If you are really going to build the motor I would go with the 4.10's, you will be happy with the all around performance.

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Kris, I replaced a broken 4 speed a couple of years ago with a junk yard 5 speed out of a celica.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>