• Forum membership has its advantages....

Gen 1 Vs Gen 2 Raptor upgrades

punchdrunk monkey

I was going to step up to the 2017 Raptor but with the hype, comes the wait. So I am thinking about upgrading my 2013 Raptor instead. Does anyone have any real life experiences with Raptor suspension upgrades? Manufactures and/or kits? Most important upgrades? It is my daily driver to, so keeping the street-ability is important.

I will be driving my Raptor in the Baja 4000 rally. Is there any manufactures that want some advertising? My truck is a clean palette for you company logos during the Rally.

nimrod

KOOK!
I would think Deavers and Fox 3.0 dsc shocks would be plenty, maybe some rear bump stops. Contact fox and ask about a discount in trade for running their logos. Never hurts to ask.

PS. You might want to get the weld in spindle gusset kit too
A few people think the ride for the street is not as soft with 3.0's but the dsc should help with that.

PAB

40's rock!
Keep it simple, it's not a pre runner.

I love the package we have on our trucks and we use them quite a bit in Baja.

3.0 with QAB upgrade FOX Shox package all around
Deaver Leaf pack with specific weight allotment for bed when off road and anti-wrap
We have a rear bump stop but we run nearly no pressure in it so I think not a huge need
We changed the upper arm because we heard they were the weak point
We run the stock spindle and lower arm
We changed one truck to a steel driveshaft but the aluminum has not been an issue for us

Number one biggest improvement was getting on the 37 BFG KO2. Fills the chatter in and gives a bit more clearance. The added sidewall at lower tire pressure when we off-road with the 3.0 fox and Deaver make it ride like a Caddy when cruising Baja. All specs are on you but this is what we have done.

If you want to pound it then you need info from someone else

We added a coupe lights on front so you can really see at night as I think the stock lights are a joke. We use Baja Designs and love them, duh.

We have two of these trucks we are considering selling if anyone is interested. We have 2 new ones coming, we think. 2011 with 145k for $29,500 and a 2012 with 105k for $34,500, both proven and well prepped. The 2012 has a Race-Co bumper and front end clearance done.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions but if you want simple and functional then I like this. I drive one every day.

The steering upgrade you probably want to do would be a better reservoir/cooler and Howe has a good one. I think with that the stock pump will likely hold up but we always carry a spare steering pump with clips, an alternator along with CV and clips.

The 37 Spare underneath is not hard to do. We have helped a few friends build this package and add a race radio and GPS and they also love the simple set up.

FYI - Never shift to 4x under load. You are better off getting stuck and then stopping and shifting to 4x and then working to get out. Load shifting into 4x on the current truck we have seen a number of them gain the skip click on the transfer case.

Have a nice day

johndjmix

Happened to me. On transfer case #2 on my 2014.

For suspension all I know is I saw a guy down in encenada that 4 linked it. Go big or go home!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

redline

We put the King package on ours and works pretty good. Also we put the SVC adjustable rear bumpstop kits on them and they are worth every penny. Especially if you are ever going to haul or tow anything. So much nicer ride and control when weighed down!

punchdrunk monkey

We put the King package on ours and works pretty good. Also we put the SVC adjustable rear bumpstop kits on them and they are worth every penny. Especially if you are ever going to haul or tow anything. So much nicer ride and control when weighed down!
How does the bumpstop kit help with towing?

punchdrunk monkey

Keep it simple, it's not a pre runner.

I love the package we have on our trucks and we use them quite a bit in Baja.

3.0 with QAB upgrade FOX Shox package all around
Deaver Leaf pack with specific weight allotment for bed when off road and anti-wrap
We have a rear bump stop but we run nearly no pressure in it so I think not a huge need
We changed the upper arm because we heard they were the weak point
We run the stock spindle and lower arm
We changed one truck to a steel driveshaft but the aluminum has not been an issue for us

Number one biggest improvement was getting on the 37 BFG KO2. Fills the chatter in and gives a bit more clearance. The added sidewall at lower tire pressure when we off-road with the 3.0 fox and Deaver make it ride like a Caddy when cruising Baja. All specs are on you but this is what we have done.

If you want to pound it then you need info from someone else

We added a coupe lights on front so you can really see at night as I think the stock lights are a joke. We use Baja Designs and love them, duh.

We have two of these trucks we are considering selling if anyone is interested. We have 2 new ones coming, we think. 2011 with 145k for $29,500 and a 2012 with 105k for $34,500, both proven and well prepped. The 2012 has a Race-Co bumper and front end clearance done.

I'm sure there are lots of opinions but if you want simple and functional then I like this. I drive one every day.

The steering upgrade you probably want to do would be a better reservoir/cooler and Howe has a good one. I think with that the stock pump will likely hold up but we always carry a spare steering pump with clips, an alternator along with CV and clips.

The 37 Spare underneath is not hard to do. We have helped a few friends build this package and add a race radio and GPS and they also love the simple set up.

FYI - Never shift to 4x under load. You are better off getting stuck and then stopping and shifting to 4x and then working to get out. Load shifting into 4x on the current truck we have seen a number of them gain the skip click on the transfer case.

Have a nice day
Thanks PAB, this is the info I was looking for. I'm not pounding it, but I want it to work a little better in Baja.

Do the 37" fit with the stock fenders? I know the inner liners needs to be removed.

PAB

40's rock!
Thanks PAB, this is the info I was looking for. I'm not pounding it, but I want it to work a little better in Baja.

Do the 37" fit with the stock fenders? I know the inner liners needs to be removed.
We didn't remove the inner liner for the 37 and have many off road miles logged. We trim the bottom of the plastic and metal where it rubs at the rear bottom of the wheel well. The 37 fits with a little rub with stock shox in the upper mount but you need to make sure alignment is correct. With the 3.0 shox upgrade we just trim the back of the opening as stated.

Chris_Wilson

You put bump stop extensions on and increase the bump pressure, rides on the bumps like an air shock and works great for towing, especially if you have a soft set of Deavers or Nationals. When not towing, swap in the normal bump pads and take the bump pressure back down low.

punchdrunk monkey

Guess it's time to start looking for the best deal on shocks/tires.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

redline

The SVC kit has three mounting locations for the bumps. Long travel if you have deavers, then position for stock springs, and then the bottom location is for when towing. Like chris said you just move them down and up the pressure and they act like an air spring/bag and stop the truck from squatting and helps get rid of sway.

Plus helps strengthen the frame where they tend to bend by making the bump mounts being basically bolt on gussets!

Ntm95

Check out the svc podium package.

-3.0's/deavers/bumps, around 30% faster than stock on a closed test loop I run often. Big g-outs and larger angular whoops are still going to kick your ass. Roughly equivelant performance to a gen 2.
-stock coilover with lca's that allow the use of an 3.5x8 external bypass/deavers/bumps/bed cage/16x3.5 external bypasses. This is a nice step up, and much more capable of handling the big holes and larger whoops.
-long travel front and links, never lift !

37's are cheap suspension, you will need glass fenders to accomadate, if you're getting some you can take the inner liners out with 35's...
With stock wheel offset you can get by with pulling the liners, hammering the firewall pinch seam, and doing some light trimming. If you have methods, you need glass.

The power steering cooler sucks, and the ratio is wrong on the ps pump for sustained loading at high rpm operation. It spends a lot of time on the bypass and cooks the relatively small volume of fluid in the system, leading to pump failure. Having a spare pump on hand is a good idea.
Increasing total fluid volume is a good idea, and if you go to a remote mount transmission cooler, the factory transmission cooler can be used for ps.
The 37's and/or long travel beats up the rack output bushings quicker, but no way around that until someone builds a slave rack for them.