German Car Mechanic want to get in the sport

LukasMark91

Hi my name is Lukas.
Me and my friend are on a road trip trough the USA West coast.
In Germany we often work on cars. But in USA this is a other dimension.
We are looking for someone with a trophy truck(or buggy, sidebyside) that we can help. We want to collect new experiences and if possible also take a round in the trophy truck.

So who wants our help.

bajadreamer

Hi my name is Lukas.
We are looking for someone with a trophy truck(or buggy, sidebyside) that we can help. We want to collect new experiences and if possible also take a round in the trophy truck.

So who wants our help.
Go to a BITD,SCORE,SNORE, race, it's only easy if you a serious; start talking to a team, put your cameras down, pay attention to what they are doing, be nice and quiet LISTEN and help, its ok to ask questions, don't tell them they are doing it wrong , if are a true enthusiast and act professional and ready to give your time away there's plenty of teams that will oblige you, show up when they ask, if they find out they can depend on you, they will end up giving you a team shirt and a schedule ... These guys spend a LOT OF MONEY and work their asses OFF, it can't be done over night, they're a great bunch of people. I did these exact instructions and have been on 2 fully sponsored teams for 7 years

(You would be very lucky to have ANYONE give you the time of day off of a website forum)

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Last edited:

cynicwanderer

Hi my name is Lukas.

So who wants our help.
Lukas, I will be racing a bike this weekend at the BITD Silver State 150 in Caliente, NV. this event is 150 miles and has bikes/quads and UTVs and there a 3 pit stops. you are welcome to hang out with us, to get a taste of what it's like and meet some people/teams. there is also the SCORE Desert Challenge in Tijuana, this weekend. it's a shorter course (24miles), there are heats for all the classes.

Tijuana Desert Challenge, Sept. 22-24 – SCORE Race Info
Polaris RZR Silver State “150” presented by Method Race Wheels - Best in the Desert

LukasMark91

Thanks for your reply.
Please do not undestand me wrong, i dont want to steal time. We really want to help a few days not only a few hours.

Lukas, I will be racing a bike this weekend at the BITD Silver State 150 in Caliente, NV. this event is 150 miles and has bikes/quads and UTVs and there a 3 pit stops. you are welcome to hang out with us, to get a taste of what it's like and meet some people/teams. there is also the SCORE Desert Challenge in Tijuana, this weekend. it's a shorter course (24miles), there are heats for all the classes.

Tijuana Desert Challenge, Sept. 22-24 – SCORE Race Info
Polaris RZR Silver State “150” presented by Method Race Wheels - Best in the Desert
I dont know it yet, if i have time. I am helping a friend I met on the burning man at his artcar. I let you know in the next days.

cynicwanderer

well, ideally all of the wrenching should have been done before the race and during the race at the pits it's mostly just filling up gas, hydration, check oil/fluids, but with desert races you never know what's going to happen. it's common to break stufff that needs to be replaced with a spare (if you have it), i.e. wheels, handlebars, brakes, etc... probably a similar story for UTV, Trucks and others. when something breaks, it's sometimes nice to have extra hands.

the silver state 150 and the desert challenge are really short races and won't have many pit stops. however, it's good to go anyway network and meet people/teams. how long will you be in the states ? if you are around for Baja1000 you might see if you can get hooked up with a team somehow before then. this year's Baja1000 is point to point, in which case teams need more crew/support people then during a loop year. check some of the websites I listed for their schedule of races, to see whether there are other races to go to.

amateur teams are more likely to need some help/people, while pro teams have it pretty much figured out and it would be hard to get in to help. you might try with the Class 11 teams, they are typically on a budget and some could probably use all the help they can. I know Class 11 isn't trophy trucks, but it's pretty cool none the less. it would be rare to get a ride along offer in the race.

you might also try to volunteer to help at a BITD or SCORE event. I don't know what the process is to get in, but chances are if you are part of the recovery crew, you will get to practice some trail side mechanics to help get vehicles out. it woudl be a good behind the scenes learning experience.

Thanks for your reply.
Please do not undestand me wrong, i dont want to steal time. We really want to help a few days not only a few hours.

I dont know it yet, if i have time. I am helping a friend I met on the burning man at his artcar. I let you know in the next days.

LukasMark91

Unfortunately i will miss the baja 1000. Thanks for the tipps.this weekend i still must help my friend in las vegas. I think we go to an ohv area on the next weekend and then we see :).