• Forum membership has its advantages....

Getting an '88 Corvette back on the road...

Offspring

My brother bought a brand new Corvette, drove it lightly and parked it in 1992 to go to grad school back east and it's been parked since. Still sits on old gatorbacks with 1988 air in them and he's non-oped it every year. The oil was changed when parked and it was run out of gasoline too. It's been stored inside since and covered. Car has around 27k, will know exactly how many when I get rid of the OEM delco battery.

I'm trailering the car to my house in next month or two to start a 'no hurry' get it back roadworthy project. It's a C4 L98 with a Nash 4+3.

Will do fluids and filters. Is there anything I should do with the motor before it is started? Wondering specifically about the cylinders and valve train. Also have heard the brakes can be tough to bleed. Any thoughts on the dry fuel bladder or in-tank pump/sender? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Slippery P

I would pull all the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders and let it sit over night. Then turn the engine over by hand, you never know if the rings are stuck to the cylinder wall. Moisture in the air will enter the engine through the PCV system regardless of how it was stored and cause things to rust up a bit. If it were me I would also pull the valve covers and lube up the valve train and lifters as much as possible before firing it off. Before you start it crank it over with the plugs out of it until you have good oil pressure, then install the plugs and light it off.

Also beware that every seal in that engine including the valve guide seals are likely going to be crusty dry so don't be surprised if it developes oil leaks and or burns oil through the valve guide seals.

As for the brakes, you need to flush the fluid completely out of the system, you can do this with a good pressure bleeder. Brake fluid is considered a "dry" fluid and does nothing but collect moisture. Same thing goes for all the seals in the brake system as the engine seals probably crusty dry so don't be surprised if you find leaks or the piston seals in the master fail.

Good luck!

Offspring

Jason P thank you. Your comments regarding seals has already crossed my mind and I have warned my brother of that possibility too. A lot of the stuff I see with this car is all too familiar to the Grand National I used to own and it was driven and leaked too. Funny what was 'in' in the 80's. He should have bought a Porsche, lol. Thanks again.