Getting creative (Cheating)

Bricoop

Reaction
Reading in some other threads about the ways guys have bent (broken) the rules, I'd like to hear some stories of ingenious cheats that have come up over the years?

AZ7000'

Reaction
Entering the SF draw twice since chassis tags weren't required on the entry.... ;)

PS, it was completely legal for that race is the word

Last edited:

Bricoop

Reaction
I love when guys find loopholes in the rules and force changes to the rule book. I seem to remember a certain someone allegedly flying off a cliff to cutoff a bunch of the course because there wasn't a CP at the bottom of the valley.

Reminds me of Highschool where the admins obsessed over the rulebook. We started bringing George Foreman grills to make burgers at lunch. They we're livid with us, but our smartasses pulled out that rule book. Sure-as-poop, the next year's rule book outlawed electric grills.

MTPyle

Reaction
I dont understand cheating. I understand getting the most out of the rules available.

If you cheat and win, did you win?

its not like we race offroad for the big paychecks or glory, Its for ourselves to prove we did what was very hard. Its simply for self satisfaction. Can you really feel good about racing if you cheated? How does one be satisfied knowing they won by cheating?

its like beating a trophy lite with a Trophy truck, would that make you feel good? of course not, but cheating is the same thing. Maybe the cheaters are the kind of guys that beat women and it makes them feel tough?

I just don't get it. defeats the whole point of racing.

Mike

Bricoop

Reaction
Not condoning it, just interested in stories. Lots of interesting cheats have been discovered in Nascar, F1, WEC, etc. Some pretty creative "solutions" to get around the rules.

Steve Marolda

Reaction
Yes, there's no end to stories of "cheating" in the NASCAR and also sports car racing. One thing that turned out to be pretty common was engine sizing. The tech guys checked the engine size by using a P&G gauge on no. 1 cylinder. Once the teams realized they always checked the same cylinder.... well they left that one alone and bored out the others.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I love when guys find loopholes in the rules and force changes to the rule book. I seem to remember a certain someone allegedly flying off a cliff to cutoff a bunch of the course because there wasn't a CP at the bottom of the valley.

Reminds me of Highschool where the admins obsessed over the rulebook. We started bringing George Foreman grills to make burgers at lunch. They we're livid with us, but our smartasses pulled out that rule book. Sure-as-****, the next year's rule book outlawed electric grills.
I once went to a company picnic and the rules for alcohol specifically said "no glass, aluminum only" since it was at a park so I brought a keg. Technically it was aluminum, and I always had a line for refills lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CMA GUMBY

Reaction
Fremont Street in Vegas requires alcohol in plastic containers. I tow a cooler behind my mobility scooter. I refill my "Commuter Cup" as necessary.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
I don't feel like "cheating" or "creative interpretation" of the rules has as big of an effect in desert racing as it does in pavement racing. Although we do have "limited" classes, they aren't nearly as restricted or homogenized as other forms of "limited" or "spec" racing. I feel like most team's time would be better spent trying to improve the efficiency of their pits rather than trying to squeeze out an extra 5hp in a spec motor. I think we can all agree that talent, prep, and logistics are the most important parts of the equation to win a desert race.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
People cheat in Off-road racing ?

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
This wasn't cheating but it was damn creative-

This was years ago in baja.

We were crewing for a 6 truck and running second and reeling in the leader. Our truck enters a congested area and off on the side of the course clear as day is the leader. They look like they are broken. Hood off. driver and co driver out of the truck and running around like they are trying to fix it.

So we think were in good shape. Physically and corrected we are in front and our truck has no issues. We can slow down a little and cruise to the finish and still win.

Nope.

Turns out the leader has a prerunner that is damn near identical looking to their race truck. His chase crew sorta staged things to look like they were broke to mislead us. It worked. We lifted and cruised until somehow something happened and the team figured out what happened.

I don't remember how well we finished. Maybe Nimrod does.

There was nothing illegal about what happened. It was actually a brilliant move and it worked. I wish I had thought of it.

The racer who tricked us. Dave Caspino.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I recall the Arciero Team refueling 11 years ago. The team built a mechanism that allows for refueling while in motion on the highway used during that years Baja 1000.

Here is the long version of the video. Skip to 1:25 if in a hurry.

M_Solms

Reaction
A class 11 racing Baja in the 80's with louvers punched in the front fenders to get air to the shocks.
SCORE was not amused but since no material was removed from the fenders it was a gray area for the rules.
The car was allowed to race and the driver told to never show up with those fenders again.

Honda48X

Reaction
I know someone last year for some really odd reason had NO TAIL LIGHTS.

J Burleson

Reaction
Smokey was the man! 7/8th scale trans am camaro, acid dipping Is "interpretation" of the rules created alot of new rules!