Getting into ATV racing

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
I am 17 and I want to get into desert racing I have thought about doing ATV desert racing I don't have a lot of money and I don't know where to start what would be the best way to start?
To quote an old Steve Martin bit:

"First...get a million dollars..."

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
What are the best beginner atvs?
What is your objectively quantifiable skill level in driving an ATV? Have you owned one before? Have you driven one before? Have you raced one in sanctioned competition before?

And for that matter, why do you want to race an ATV as opposed to racing a motorcycle?

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
I have never driven or owned an ATV my parents don't want me riding motorcycles so much
I respect your parents, and it's good that you're respecting them too, but by the time you have enough money to buy a vehicle, you're going to be an adult and making your own decisions.

The REASON your parents don't want you riding motorcycles, is because it's dangerous. And ATVs are even more dangerous than motorcycles.

The idea of you having zero experience, and more importantly zero skills, and going racing, is the most dangerous part of your idea.

If you want to get involved in desert racing, I'd recommend that you start volunteering as a helper for some race teams, so that you can learn a little more about the sport. If you're going to help out at any of the races in Mexico, you're gonna need a passport.

And please understand that having a cage, harness, and window net around you is going to be much safer for you, than running the very real risk of having a 400-pound quad use you for a tent peg, much in the same manner that the ACME anvil does to Wile E. Coyote in the cartoons.

Argentino

RDC Crypto
Pussies will never be heroes. Get something and ride the hell out of it until it breaks, then do everything in your power to fix it and do it again.

Don't worry about anything until it comes. Learn as you go.

The smaller your program, the less you have to worry about.

Good luck!

Tornavacca

RDC Crypto
I respect your parents, and it's good that you're respecting them too, but by the time you have enough money to buy a vehicle, you're going to be an adult and making your own decisions.

The REASON your parents don't want you riding motorcycles, is because it's dangerous. And ATVs are even more dangerous than motorcycles.

The idea of you having zero experience, and more importantly zero skills, and going racing, is the most dangerous part of your idea.

If you want to get involved in desert racing, I'd recommend that you start volunteering as a helper for some race teams, so that you can learn a little more about the sport. If you're going to help out at any of the races in Mexico, you're gonna need a passport.

And please understand that having a cage, harness, and window net around you is going to be much safer for you, than running the very real risk of having a 400-pound quad use you for a tent peg, much in the same manner that the ACME anvil does to Wile E. Coyote in the cartoons.
I will keep that in mind

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
Would a utv be a better option?
Heck yeah. But they're MUCH more expensive.

I've scoured the rule book, and the only four-wheeled class that looks "affordable", is Class 11. Steel wheels, a single 2" non-bypass shock at each wheel, stock gas tank, yada, yada...

El Mamito USMC

RDC Crypto
Ok I will look into that
if you are in Utah, look into Legacy Racing. Voluntteer for some of their events and you'll see first hand whats up with racing. Also some WORCS races are in Utah. Go check them out

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
As in many motorsports disciplines, I suspect that the race vehicle is actually the least expensive part of the operation. You still need a truck, trailer, fuel, hotels and meals for you and tour crew, entry fees, maintenance, crash repairs, safety gear that goes out of date and needs to be replaced, and so on.