On Topic Getting into racing

dreysonk

I was wondering if I could have some advice on how to get into racing. I've always loved off road racing and wanted to be apart of it. I'm a vet and want to build a 1400 truck. any advice on where to send my truck for cage work and possible help with completing the truck. I have an 07 f-150 extended cab. any advice or help is appreciated!

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Where are you located?

What skillsets do you/your team have?

Is your truck bone stock now?

Might be better off starting with a proven used race truck.

Dave

dreysonk

in las vegas, I have a mechanical background, I've been riding and driving off road on and off for 15 years, the truck is bone stock and I dont have 70k sitting around for a proven used truck so I have to build one

snoreracer

you are in Vegas and want to get started with little money I would go this direction classifieds.race-dezert.com/FOR_SALE:Entry-Level-Race-Car-150332

green787

It's just that there isn't really a viable class left for your truck.... Just like 7s (stock mini trucks) has died off... You could make a nice pre-runner out of it... and there are a lot of after market parts out there for it.... Just don't know what number you would put on it....

dreysonk

the 1400 series seems to still be going strong and I was tossing the idea around of turning it into a "luxury" prerunner for as cheap as I can, I just want to race and I know I'll never be able to get into TT but to go out and race has always been my dream and I want to share that with my son!

johnboy

Buy a used Trophylite, and have an affordable blast.

johnboy

They ride great, get up to about 80 mph, run an engine for a couple years. Used ones come with extra parts and spares. Don't run race gas.

Bro_Gill

Yes. There were plenty of Trophylites at Parker. On the plus side, just about any organization will let you run the Trophylites with the 3000 buggies.

MTPyle

Racing is amazing and fun. But it's full of hidden cost and challenges.

I don't know what it cost to run 1450 but I would guess each race is at least $5K? thats if nothing really goes wrong.

Maybe this is a over simplification but it seems like you will spend the cost of the vehicle each season. So if you buy a $40k 1450 expect to spend $40K to race it a season. Tell me I am wrong?

Mike

jeepspeedcom

Take a look at Jeepspeed. Even the low cost Class 1700 have been averaging over 40MPH at recent events. Good used winning examples in all our classes can be purchased under $30K . $850 subsidized entry at BITD races, with payback and $1000 bonus each class each race. We offer pit support. Prep cost can be controlled in Class 1700. Visit www.jeepspeed.com for classifieds and more info. This Wrangler $28,500. The Cherokee $22,500

Attachments

Steve Marolda

When this sport started "big-dollar and high-tech" meant you had lights in your garage. Don't get scared off just build something cheap, legal and safe and know it's just the first day of school. After that.... send in your entry fee and show up at the starting line!

MTPyle

Jeepspeedcom,

What does it usually cost to race a 5 race season in a Jeepspeed?

Anyone have some guesses for SNORE or BITD full season of cost with entry fee, fuel, tires, etc..

My experience is the cost of the vehicle is not the big "expense". for one thing you can sell the vehicle when are are done racing. So there is the depreciation of the asset that cost but the racing expenses seem to be way more.

If I buy a $25k jeepspeed and take care of it i am sure I can sell it for close to $25K after a season. So my cost of owning the Jeepspeed is not much at all.

How much does it cost to "take care of it" Prep=?
Entry fees=?
Fuel=?
Tires=?

Other Calendar or wear items like Fire suits, helmets, safety nets, race seats, fire extinguishers etc.. They all have a cost for each race or season.

All of that you are not getting back so thats really the cost. I don't really include expenses to get to a race, food, drinks, etc.. as I would be doing that anyway.

Not trying to be a Negative Nancy, just talking about the real cost of racing. I think a lot of guys including me get surprised once they get in.

I think I saw Trophylite is about $16K for show up and race. So that gives some idea and I don't know if that covers cost of entry fee? If I race that 5 times I am at $80K which is what it cost to buy a good Trophylite.

Edit- Actually just looked and you can buy a TL for $60-70K so the cost to show up and drive is more than what you would spend for the truck i you bought one. I am sure you can race one for less than $16K by yourself so again maybe the numbers are pretty close.

Mike

green787

the 1400 series seems to still be going strong and I was tossing the idea around of turning it into a "luxury" prerunner for as cheap as I can, I just want to race and I know I'll never be able to get into TT but to go out and race has always been my dream and I want to share that with my son!
Don't listen to these guys.... They're not listening to you.... Put in earplugs and get out the reciprocating saw.... Buy some 2" Chinese steel, dimple dies, masking tape, and a bender..... That's all you'll need for quite a while.....C1500 Interior 005.jpgInterior2 002.jpgXlantis Interior 013.jpg

You won't even need a bender if you built "Kinetic" style cages....

Last edited:

jon coleman

jeep speed entry( when i raced) 360.enterprise truck rental 49.a day unlimmited milage with full ins.( wernt poda' tow any thing!)fuel for parker200-300, food 100,beer for my " pit" crew50.prep for truck maybe average 200.i did all prep. misc50.soooo thats about my average .jp . spd . cost around 5000 to build.first one.second was about12000.1200 trailor also.add it up and that plastic stuff on my book shelf was relativly cheap.what ever u do, dont say someday shoulda , coulda , woulda

MTPyle

Jon,

Nice thats good info and seems like Jeepspeed can be done relatively cheap. And it's possible the racing does not do as much damage to the vehicle as it does with our truck. Hehe

Not trying to talk anyone out of it. Just trying to make sure the guy knows that the vehicle cost is only part of the cost of racing.

Its like getting a SXS to go to Glamis. You end up needing a RV, trailer, camping gear, paddles, mods to SXS, etc.. The SXS ends up being the cheap part. LOL

Mike

SMS81

If you want to land on the podium in any class, racing will cost more than you think. One can have a whole lot of fun giving it there all, racing to their own budget limitation. Yes winning is fun, but it is also fun to compete. I haven’t figured out what I like better over the years, spending very little money and running mid pack or spending a small fortune and sometimes getting the results I wanted but more often not. I think it is always nice to have a little jingle left in your pocket. Build or buy something you can afford and just try to finish at first, then take it from there....
In my opinion your current platform is not advisable to build. If you want a full size truck1400 truck, start with a beam truck and build away. A truck will be way more to build than to buy and not as good as a performer per dollar as a smaller buggy. Good Luck!