• Forum membership has its advantages....

Getting into the Race scene

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but i am looking for some info on how to get into the desert racing scene. Not really looking to go out and build a $200k race vehicle right now more so looking for how to get on a race team pitting and chasing. Im from Salt Lake City, Ut and am trying to see if there are any race teams somewhat close to where I'm from that are looking for volunteers or anything of the sort. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Myles

yamaducci

I wrote a classified AD and listed my skillset that I was volunteering. I got a few replies. Spoke to them on the phone after a few emails. Basically a phone interview and then went Chasing. I live in Maryland and met a great Team out of California. Offering money to contribute to things like Fuel, transportation cost, beverages etc. can be negotiated and won't go unnoticed. Once you become recognized as an asset you may be offered a seat.
Since you started this thread why not post your resume here? What skills do you have that can be helpful out there during a race? It could be anything...

Anger Issues

Here are my thoughts:
  • I would volunteer to run a checkpoint or road crossing with BOR. You might meet some teams racing locally who also have other plans, for racing in Nevada or Baja. Hopefully you have your own vehicle and knowledge/ability to get yourself to the races, or you are probably barking up the wrong tree.
  • Make it a point to get to know these team(s), especially if you have something in common with them. Don't run up to Robby G. and expect him to give you gas and fuel and hope you show up somewhere. If you have buggy knowledge or interest, seek out a buggy team... same goes for jeeps or side-by-sides. Try to be helpful where you think you can be.
  • Assuming you aren't a total tool, most teams on a small budget won't say "no" to a decent person willing to help out, pour gas, run a remote pit, or whatever. They might send you with someone initially, as it is very important to be able to count on you to be where/when you tell them.
  • Helping prep back home is another way to add some value. Over the years I have put many people in the trucks who were a big help at home, even if they couldn't necessarily afford to kick in $ for the race.
  • Buy your own helmet, suit, and hans device when you can afford it. If you can't afford that, ya might want to quit reading.
  • Speaking of finances, there is always "that" route. Many teams, from us little guys up to Pistola, "sell" seat time to help with the costs of the races. In this scenario, you might have a crash course (pun intended) in co-dawging. You might learn more spending 500-1000 bucks and get in a car faster this way. It can be weird having a total stranger in the car with you (for both parties), so get to know each other a bit before you put your life in their hands.
  • Once you have gone through some of these steps, you can then decide if racing still interests you and is in your pocket-book. If so, pick the class where your knowledge, passion, and budget can go. Whatever you think you might spend, double it and re-think it. Getting sponsors to help sounds great, but unless you have some rich buddies with successful businesses, good luck with that.
Guess that is about all I can think of for now... and BTW, if a team doesn't contact you after the race, or if you get the impression you have done something wrong, consider trying to TALK to them about it, but in the end, don't be afraid to realize maybe it wasn't a good match and try again... or take up Nascar or bowling or something.

Oh, one last thought. If/when you are ready for a car, hit the classifieds. Most of the stuff on their is 50% of what you can build it for, if not less. Also, people tend to have figured out many of the "bugs" so you don't have to. It's not perfect, but a way cheaper way to get started.

riding motorcycles/quads is the most economical way to get into off road/desert racing for the events where they still have moto/quad classes. find a team who needs a rider or pit help. this will get you in the mix and get you meeting people at the events. it will get you exposed to the pre-race and race logistics and the lay of the land, when you go, get into sponge mode and absorb as much as you can by talking to folks and asking questions and offering help. most people don't mind sharing, if they believe you are earnest and have a serious interest. you will meet a few douchebags, stay clear of them, but for the most part people are friendly and open. Vegas to Reno is coming up and is relatively close to where you are. make time to come and check it out.

QurtysLyn

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but i am looking for some info on how to get into the desert racing scene. Not really looking to go out and build a $200k race vehicle right now more so looking for how to get on a race team pitting and chasing. Im from Salt Lake City, Ut and am trying to see if there are any race teams somewhat close to where I'm from that are looking for volunteers or anything of the sort. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Myles
Wish I would have seen this earlier. Just got back from BOR Jackpot 200 in Jackpot Nevada. Our next race is out to Knolls, UT on August 25th.

We've got a race meeting on Wednesday in Downtown SLC if you want to stop by, it's open to everyone. 61 E 700 S, at Suicide Lane Cycles, 7:00 PM.

johndjmix

When you are ready for your own race vehicle, the quad/bike route is the cheapest. If you want to go truck/car the costs go way up. Forget the cost of the vehicle, that’s one time. It’s the repairs/upgrades/etc that are substantial.

I know we spent around $15,000 getting ready for the upcoming V2R. Granted we did a lot of upgrades and a new motor, but still. And that’s for a Trophylite. If your going to run an entire season in a low cost car/truck class I would say have around 100k planned for costs.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert