Getting started in class 10

Jessaca

Reaction
I have lots of questions. I am looking for a class 10 car. Have been looking at the classifieds every day. The prices seem to be all over the place.

Are the Eco techs really the only way to go? Anyone have a idea of how much it is to have the motor inspected and sealed by SCORE?

Thanks!

Zac Reish

Reaction
Quality of the cars is all over the place hence the price.
No there are other options but don't waste your time and money. Ecotecs are the best engine for the class.
$300 to seal.

Martin

Reaction
I have lots of questions. I am looking for a class 10 car. Have been looking at the classifieds every day. The prices seem to be all over the place.

Are the Eco techs really the only way to go? Anyone have a idea of how much it is to have the motor inspected and sealed by SCORE?

Thanks!
There are several factors on why car prices are from 25k to 110k. The major effect on the price fluctuation are the chassis, transmission, wiring, ECU, and quality of bolt on parts. Transmissions for example the price range is from 10k to 30k.

drofmij

Reaction

Thanks!
Class 10 is really competitive, if you aren't running top of the line equipment, your donating to the winners check. Class 10 just got first overall at the last M.O.R.E. race.
We were in the same boat as you, we wanted to jump in and race class 10. We ended up picking up a class 3000 car to get our feet wet. Glad we did, alot to learn.

Jessaca

Reaction
We have been running a class 3/sportsman car for many years. We aren't green behind the ears. That truck in the pic is what we race. We have had lots of mechanical issues and some drivers issues. We have resolved the drivers issues.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Well spend 30k on a 6 speed sequential to start. you will gain 1 - 2 seconds on every sharp turn. Times that by say ( est. of course) 600 turns in a race. What is that 10 + mins in time and then add in all the other factors like Big $$$ shock package , Big $$$ Electronics , new lighter weight car , New DI not junkyard 35 in tires and rims etc etc and to be up there consistently 100k plus easy. That's just to stage. There is nothing wrong with the class its just for the guy that does not want to spend 200k to race class 1 and could never beat Harley or Parkhouse lol

drofmij

Reaction
Well spend 30k on a 6 speed sequential to start. you will gain 1 - 2 seconds on every sharp turn. Times that by say ( est. of course) 600 turns in a race. What is that 10 + mins in time and then add in all the other factors like Big $$$ shock package , Big $$$ Electronics , new lighter weight car , New DI not junkyard 35 in tires and rims etc etc and to be up there consistently 100k plus easy. That's just to stage. There is nothing wrong with the class its just for the guy that does not want to spend 200k to race class 1 and could never beat Harley or Parkhouse lol
So when are you building a new class 10 car?

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Haha , Im waiting for the spec L S engine , spec 4 speed non sequential transaxle buggy class. It will end up being the biggest buggy dork field ever when it happens.

standfast

Reaction
It would appear from the outside that class 10 just traded super expensive engines from the pre-ecotec era for super expensive transmissions. Or were folks using 30k transmissions back then too? $30k!? Is that the real number for the competitive trans in these things now? What setup is 30k?

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
It would appear from the outside that class 10 just traded super expensive engines from the pre-ecotec era for super expensive transmissions. Or were folks using 30k transmissions back then too? $30k!? Is that the real number for the competitive trans in these things now? What setup is 30k?

No. It's not what is really happening. Plenty of guys running a 5 speed Fortin and some guys running the 6 speed Mendeola sequential for half that price and having great success like the RPM Muffler car.

You don't need a 6 speed to win.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
No. It's not what is really happening. Plenty of guys running a 5 speed Fortin and some guys running the 6 speed Mendeola sequential for half that price and having great success like the RPM Muffler car.

You don't even need the high dollar DI motor either, last year's Baja 1000 winner ran the old, original motor. Its still close enough that good driving will overcome and beat the fancy poop every time.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Come on boys to go build a new car like yours is 100k + and you know it. Yes every dog has his day and wins whether its the others in your class broke , crashed or had bad luck. But to win consistently you better have the goodys.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
I think a REALLY old Chenowth 10 car with a 5 speed Mendeola just won Caliente......... :)
Your right, Good driving will do wonders! GET DOWN Wich/Pooch! T-BAGGIN BABY! LOL

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Ok bags now lets see you do V-2 R or Baja in that car Bags. Love ya brother. See ya at the night race. I guess my boy is driving Ricks TL in class 10 without a body to have some fun

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
You want those guys to lose to a 30 year old car too?? It's got the motor now! lol

M.Tornel Jr

Reaction
The six speed fortin sequential was 29,500 i believe

Robin Hood

Reaction

Full circle...right back where it was before it died off.

standfast

Reaction

How long do you see that being sustained?

Full circle...right back where it was before it died off.

It sure feels like that. The class is quite healthy now so it's a tough point to make, but some consideration has to be made about the long term attendance in the class. You have to be encouraging newcomers. With the entry cost to the class continuing to grow, one has to be realistic and question the sustainability. I believe it is too late to reel this back in. I get it. $$ were spent, cars were built, racing is expensive, live with it. If I had to prophesy, the current attendance is a bubble created by the relatively cheap Ecotec rule change. As long as the 5 speeds still have a chance to win, the class will maintain but I fear it's just a matter of time. I have a passion for this class personally and I am trying to be honest about the future. I see how big this class is now, where it's headed, and the what ifs. What if there was a 5 speed rule? Would the class be more healthy and sustainable? Either way I know I would be pissed if I spent $30k on a badazz trans and was forced to downgrade. That investment is clearly part of my edge and a tough pill to swallow. The other option is getting the transaxle down into a more manageable price range but that is entirely down to the vendors and competition within the pricing. That is unlikely to change as well with demand so low. Understanding that this is not the top class in desert racing makes me question the presence of such an expensive transmission within the competition. To me, it's silly to me to have a $30k transmission coupled to a sealed factory 4cyl engine and if that is the future for the class I can't help but see stagnation looming ahead. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself and seeing this all wrong. Driving may be able to make up the difference for a long time moving forward. To be honest, I hope I am wrong. I love watching this class being heavily contested.

drofmij

Reaction
We just switched to the DI motor in our 3000 car, I don't think you need a 6 speed with the DI. It would have been nice with the LE5 we were running. If and when we do a 10 car it will be with a DI and mendi S5.

ht racing

Reaction
you can't take a class and trim it down to fit your budget. you take a look at what you can afford and race that class. class 10 is a great class with really fast drivers. one flat will take you from a 1st place finish to a 6th place finish. some of the super fast guys out there have a 5 speed. they don't always win and have other problems that cause bad results.