Getting Started in Desert Racing

Hunter642

RDC Crypto
Hi everyone, I am new to the racing community and I am wanting to get started racing but I don't know what class would be best to start in. I have looked into the Trophy Lite class, but I honestly don't know what I'm looking for right now. I was hoping it get input on what would be a good class for beginners. I don't have any race experience currently but am hoping to change that soon. With being a beginner I am hoping to find a budget class per say, something that will allow me to better my skills and move up in classes as I get better.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Hunter

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
#1, learn the search function.

I remember someone posting you should take 5 $100 bills out back to your bbq then set them on fire. You just hit a rock and blew up a wheel. If you are good with that then keep moving forward. Off road racing is not cheap, at all. Also og wisdom, buying the race car is the cheapest part, you need shop space, tow vehicles, bomber friends, trailers, and almost a second vehicle for spares.

That being said I asked the same question as trophy lites we’re being born in the 07 range and have been racing ever since. Reliability, hard work, and different skill sets can take you far. You will get good advice and some will be dicks.

Best advice I have is get in with a team and see the real work that is done. Golf carts seem to be a good entry class but I can’t tell you the best. Learning off road from experienced racers can’t be bought, but could literally save your life. Many just jump in too.

Suerte

Slippery P

RDC Crypto
Class 9

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
For sure budget should drive your decision.

A race vehicle can cost at least what you spend to buy it every year to race it. You buy a $100k car expect to spend $100k to race it. Buying the race vehicle can be the cheapest part.

I greatly underestimated the cost of racing. Granted we race in a larger class in more expensive races but just the tools and support vehicles are a ton of money.

So start with something you can afford. Or partner with someone. Although that can be a mess. Haha

Mike

kyle_pc_75

RDC Crypto
Where are you located? Find some local teams, find out what races are closest to you. Go spectate, volunteer for one of the teams or the organization, and I don't mean just on race day. Get a real life feel for what it's all about.

IRONGOOK

RDC Crypto
Hi Hunter,
My recommendation is you take a hard look at Jeepspeed. It is a true entry level class. If you are seriously interested, team Wolfpack will be more then happy to help you along. send me an email with your contact info at TeamWP@yahoo.com . if you really want to dive in, we are going to be racing the Baja 1000 next month and you can come along.

Wayne "The Irongook"

tapeworm

RDC Crypto
Class 9. If you want to win, expect to spend $1000 on the trans every race and have it inspected EVERY race. Otherwise parts are cheap and they are easy to work on.

If you want to win expect every small series race to cost around 3-4 thousand dollars for entry, fuel, travel, and re-prepping the car and another 5,000 in parts replacements throughout the year with no catostrophic failures.

The only way to race cheaper is to pay to ride in the right seat.

RYAN COHEE

RDC Crypto
Start in a beam car class learn the process and learn how to finish the race then move forward from there.

Viola1685

RDC Crypto
I agree with some others here as well. Start out helping a team because knowledge can save you a lot of time and money later. I think it was corky McMillin back in the day that said being stupid in off-road can cost a lot of money. All that aside if you want a class that you can prep yourself and is reasonable because let’s face it doesn’t matter what class your in if you want to finish it’s expensive everything is relative. I started in 1600 worked my way up to class 10 and now working on a pro2 for short course. 1600 is going to give you the knowledge of how to take a little car and be faster then the half the cars on the track. Getting a good 1600 used would be a good start you’ll likely get some decent spares which will get you started. Even with 1600 though I can be expensive too we had 1 season we spent a little over 50k just to prep it that year but we also had seasons were we got away with 10k in prep and still finished every mile. Realistically the best way would be get as must knowledge and experience as you can helping a team then set out a realistic budget that you can afford to light on fire and after all that if your still juiced to go racing then get a 1600 car.

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
x2 go help teams. Pitch in some money to navigate in the right seat. I think it will help you as a driver if you know how to make notes and manage all of the things a navigator does. You will see the things that go wrong and learn from that. Racing with experience team in any class they will show you things that can go wrong from their experiences.

Hunter642

RDC Crypto
Hi Hunter,
My recommendation is you take a hard look at Jeepspeed. It is a true entry level class. If you are seriously interested, team Wolfpack will be more then happy to help you along. send me an email with your contact info at TeamWP@yahoo.com . if you really want to dive in, we are going to be racing the Baja 1000 next month and you can come along.

Wayne "The Irongook"
that would be awesome! I will send you an email with my info.

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
jeepspeed, all the parts are in a junk yard still, they are too cheep to acctually race, And finish& get on the podium, also fast enough for a newbie to have to learn a few desert skills/ driver techniques to make them go fast, that or i would go Ivan Stewart like BG said

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
there are a Lot of off roaders in Utah, you could easily find a team with a dirty shop floor that needs cleaning, ( thats how i got into this ' cool desert racer' thing...

critter81

RDC Crypto
Laramie, I have always wondered what the off roading was like there... I have driven past there a bunch but never stopped.. I think you should attend a SNORE race near vegas and then see if you can chase the legacy races next year that will give you a good idea of what it might take... The point to point races are much more difficult to organize than the smaller loop races like they have in Primm