Getting Started in Desert Racing

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
I believe they do some racing in Montana and there is always BORE and VORRA that would be kind of closer to you. And I think there is a small series in Oklahoma too.

cynicwanderer

RDC Crypto
I race bikes... it's the most economical. I also help on a team, when I can. buying a seat for a segment is the cheapest you can get into it, if you can find someone who will trust you to drive their car. UTVs are the entry level after bikes. you can race an almost stock UTV in most of the series, just need to do all the safety mods, or buy a used UTV that is already setup. it's true that you will spend at least as much on race support per year as your race car/bike, if you are racing a series, so budget accordingly.

Gritt

RDC Crypto
Laramie, I have always wondered what the off roading was like there... I have driven past there a bunch but never stopped.. I think you should attend a SNORE race near vegas and then see if you can chase the legacy races next year that will give you a good idea of what it might take... The point to point races are much more difficult to organize than the smaller loop races like they have in Primm
look up Yellowstone off-road racing. I just raced a Prophy that I built and brought to Cody. check out next years races and locations. come to a few and learn. the advice to start in Jeepspeed is excellent advice or a drivers class like 1600 where a lot of started then 7s etc. come to the Mint. look around, go through contingency, pits etc. observe and learn. good luck.DDB

Lyle Hogue

RDC Crypto
I currently live in Laramie Wyoming, and I will be spending the majority of this next summer (2022) in Utah for work.
Hunter, I know you stated you would be working in Utah next summer, but check out the Yellowstone Off Road Racing series in Montana. We have races in Wyoming and South Dakota as well as two in Montana. You can get into a buggy class for under $5000 and be competitive.

El Mamito USMC

RDC Crypto
Hi everyone, I am new to the racing community and I am wanting to get started racing but I don't know what class would be best to start in. I have looked into the Trophy Lite class, but I honestly don't know what I'm looking for right now. I was hoping it get input on what would be a good class for beginners. I don't have any race experience currently but am hoping to change that soon. With being a beginner I am hoping to find a budget class per say, something that will allow me to better my skills and move up in classes as I get better.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Hunter
try renting a vehicle or look at the classified section here. start with small classes like 5, 5/1600. you might find some good deals here. from there go into small affordable orgs like CODE, RECORD. in the states the only really affordable one that i know is STORR in El Paso,TX. But i would say there are a few in AZ and NV that are affordable also. Bikes and ATVS are also a good way to start but not sure if you are into it.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Just get involved with a team and see how you like it first. It is not a one man sport you need a team of ppl to help. Get ready to spend loads of money I don't care what class your in or get involved in a team and pay for a seat. Still way cheaper than a owner.

BajaboundMoto

RDC Crypto
Website
bajaboundmoto.com
Someone earlier this year posted similar question and seemed eager to help chase to learn.
I sent them a note, and a text, about helping at VtoR, never heard back, they haven’t posted on RDC again.
Don’t be that guy.

A few thoughts about comments…
A class 5 isn’t “entry level” IMO.
A UTV isn’t the way to go, but there are some good UTV race series out there. Spend $30k on a basic UTV? Might as well spend $15k on a beam car or Jeepspeed then spend $15k racing it.
Bikes? How do y’all know he’s got bike skills? Did I miss something?

Beam cars - 5/16, 9, 12, 16 - semi cheap, you’ll always find them for sale, all series include them, pretty basic to work on, hold their value well, simple to support/chase/pit, and you’ll learn how to drive (opposed to a stupid belt car that anyone can drive).
BOR and VORRA have mellow crowds, not beat to Hell courses, inexpensive.
SNORE is similar but the competition increases greatly, and is about as far from home as you’re going to want to travel.

NRT_Chris

RDC Crypto
Website
www.instagram.com
I Started with Jeepspeed In 2005 and never left. I have raced in other classes over the years but have only owned/built 1700 Jeepspeeds. It Great organization to be involved with.

Attachments

• 77adrian_photography--1524936865361.jpg
    77adrian_photography--1524936865361.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1936613_130919216670_7527736_n.jpg
    1936613_130919216670_7527736_n.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0

Hunter642

RDC Crypto
Thanks everyone for all the input. I will definitely look around and see what I can find. Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you at races and see what it is all about!
I'm looking forward to where this is going to take me!

Thanks,
Hunter

FourLow

RDC Crypto
Thanks everyone for all the input. I will definitely look around and see what I can find. Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you at races and see what it is all about!
I'm looking forward to where this is going to take me!

Thanks,
Hunter
I'm in Reno and race VORRA and Ultra4. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in tagging along to some races.