Glamis / thanksgiving

hoeker

Reaction
i just wanted to check if you guys had any advice, good or bad about Glamis over thanksgiving. i'm planning on making the 38 hour drive for the first time in 3 or 4 years and didn't want to get there and be totally surprised about major changes in policy. in the past we've stay on gecko road near the ranger station. we'll probably just bring the dirt bikes again this year.

Build it right, Drive it hard.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Be prepared for rowdyness. Not sure the last time you went was but you will need to purchase parking passes and also bring your bikes registration. You may be charged an out of state fee (if you live outside cali)for each bike since they are not california green stickered. Stay away fromt the idiots at night and you are good to go. If you go to the hill at night...dont go up and down the rows!!!!!!

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
dunno about the truth to this but iheard that the hills gonna be closed at night due to the big party scene that is there.

Gregg

YZFster

Reaction
Go out to Ocotillo for Thanksgiving..Wey more fun..and safer to many F***ing a-holes at glamis for that weekend..Poleline road is the spot...

Go Big or stay there.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I stopped going to Glamis on holiday weekends because of the knuckleheads that ruin the fun for everyone else. Too many dumbasses pullin' out guns & knives at comp, getting into fights and being dangerous to others to even want to go back on a busy weekend...unless you are into that stuff. I used to have a lot of stupid fun back in the day but not like that and not with my family! Glamis has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years. On an off weekend, the riding is awesome!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Unless you plan on getting there at the beginning of the week, Gecko will have no vacancy just my experience from previous years. I have friends that pick a spot and stay there or trade off days to hold the spot till everyone gets there when they get there. Like Kritter said just stay away from all the stupid action and you should be fine. If your going to the hill go early and dont go to the bottom. Dress warm and watch the craziness from the top of a hill.

hoeker

Reaction
what and where is octillo? is there enough riding room for a week??
at glamis we generally headed south as far as fuel allowed to avoid the traffic. found plenty of killer dunes without the crazies.

www.rosshoek.com

drtdevil93

Reaction
i heard some of the party spots would be closed off to trucks, only open to buggies and bikes, to stop the party scene. i heard from a friend of a friend of a friend, so i have no idea about the authenticity of it. seems like a weird rule, though.

erik

tkr

Reaction
I've been to Glamis for Thanksgiving the past 4 or 5 years in a row. I wouldn't let all the stories of all these idiots causing problems keep you from going. Finding a campsite may be an issure though. You may end up in one of the washes. Unless you get there at least a week early, Gecko will be full. If you do make it, just avoid Comp Hill at night...especially Friday night. And be super careful on the road to Olds.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

jeff

Reaction
I actually prefer camping out in the washes away from most of the dust and noise. Some of my friends love being right smack dab in the middle of all the action and I just can't handle the 24/7 noise and dust. If you are like me (love explosions and fireworks followed by peace and relative quiet) the washes are great because the law doesn't get up in your business. Regarding Comp or Olds during a busy night... that's when Glamis looks more like MadMax and it is worth checking out. I usually take the dunes back and forth to camp and avoid Sand Highway because everytime I take that route we either break down, get hit, or get pulled over by the law. The stupidity displayed on Friday and Saturday night is priceless so be sure to take pictures or video. It used to be that if you didn't bother "them" they wouldn't bother you... that's not the case anymore and the advice to avoid the rows is excellent. If you have a deathwish or don't value your personal property by all means cruise the rows - just expect damage and you won't be disappointed when it happens. If you like watching people drive their vehicles or riding their toys through fire you'll like the rows... if you like naked girl on girl action you'll like the rows. If you like listening to music at levels that make ya deaf you'll like the rows. If you like watching people run around on fire you'll like the rows. If you value your personal property you won't like the rows. It's weird though - you'll see families just kicking back alongside total debauchery. Too much drugs/alcohol is always a bad thing and if you happen to end up in the wrong spot at the wrong time you might just not make it back - if it starts to get ugly just get the hell out of there.

Anyone have word on the projected law presence or increase this Thanksgiving?

Aloha

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Glamis

They will have undercover officers looking for drugs and under age drinking. A huge showing of force and they will be bringing their portable jails also. They will be giving out 502's like invitations to parties.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Last year there were a total of 73 rangers working during the week. This number was dramatically less thank the previous year because of 9/11. The regular amount of rangers working during the week is 100-140 to my understanding. I would guess that there will be more this year than last year.

Also remember, there are plenty of rangers on quads, in trucks, and in Funco Big 5 Buggies. They are ticket happy for helmets, double riding, flags, DUI's, and stupid behavior!

Where did you get the information about undercover rangers busting people for drugs? Just curious.

BRAAAAAAAAP!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BajaWaldo on 10/22/02 08:58 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

rdc

Reaction
Rangers no, but Officers yes drug enforcement

martininsocal

Reaction
I know my agency participates on the big holidays with state law emnforcement oficers, and communications. CHP, the local Sheriffs departments, BLM and DEA all will be there. And please don't complain about people getiing cited or arrested for DUI's, underage drinking, riding double, etc...the alternative is less pleasing and could ultimately lead to an end of Glamis, period.

If your gonna go, go BIG

rdc

Reaction
what is a 502??? is it a DUI

<font color=green>That which is, cannot be that which is not except in the minds and hands</font color=green>

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I now I have done some stupid things in the past, especially there. I was haulin' ass down the sand hwy at night one time and another truck came into my trail and tagged the side of my truck. Noone was hurt, it was his fault but I was wasted so I said lets just fix our own! I thought I had hit someone on a quad...that would have been catastrophic! Luckily that was the first and last time that ever happened.

People think that since they are in the dez that they can drink and ride/drive...please think twice.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

hoeker

Reaction
what's up with needing the bikes registration? i don't even have registration for my bike. we don't need it for anything over here, so i guess they just get lost or, for a while i don't think they even came with registration. do you have to have it to get a sticker? or just if they find reason to stop you. i'm not worried about the laws being enforced, riding is dangerous enough without alcohol and drugs. i just don't want to end up unprepared if stopped, or involved in someone else's mess.

i think the last year i was down there was '99 and i think this was the first year of the camping permits, but i've never bought a sticker.

do they enforce spark-arrestors?

www.rosshoek.com

Bonzen

Reaction
Thats why it's good to have the 4wd and bypass all the checkpoints....just go through the dunes and your in there like swimwear! There is no way they could shut down comp or the drags......they would need like the national guard or something. Bottom line is...dont drink and drive, run a whip, and dont speed by rangers if you can help it and you will be fine. Last year, they did have a comp check point going in and out of it. personally, I wouldnt mind if they did it again, cuz it doesnt effect the responsible people or the people that are really there to ride/bonze. They need to crack down on the non-offroading crowd that just comes there to be a holes and start problems.

-Ryan

tkr

Reaction
I've heard they have been checking stickers when you drive past the ranger station. I always get there in the middle of the night when no one's there, so I can't say for sure. The only time I've been stopped while riding was when my whip bracket broke off somewhere in the dunes. And even then he didn't check my sticker. Anyway, to get a sticker....at least here in CA, you have to go to the DMV and register it.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing