'glass install

In_the_works

Reaction
\'glass install

I just picked up some glass for the front of my truck and I'd appreciate some tips on the install. These are going to be mounted on a stock body (no engine cage) and I don't want to sawzall anything I shouldn't. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I tried a search through past posts and came up with nothin. Feel free to PM me if you dont wanna post.

thanks again

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

Skyler

Reaction
Re: \'glass install

I don't know about your Ford for sure, but on my 'yota the stock fenders just unbolt and the fiberglass one's will have to be trial fitted for alignment and the hole to be drilled for mounting. I took my time and gently grinded some of the thicker edges of fiberglass down so they fit flush with the hood and doors. Good Luck and just take your time and do 'em right the first time

<font color=green>Skyler</font color=green>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

On the f150 the inner and outer fender I believe is all one piece. You need to sawzall off the skin of the outside fender leaving the lip and of the inner fenderwell intact so you have a flat mounting surface for the top of the glass. Basically what you are doing is trying to remove the entire outer skin. If you have a spot weld drill you can drill out all of the spot welds and just take the outer skin off. That is not too bad of a job. This is how my chevy fenders were mounted, It saves a lot of money over mounting them to a tubular core support and you leave your computer and battery in factory locations.

"faster than it looks"

In_the_works

Reaction

That's what I had heard, that they had to be separated. Any recommendations on grade/type of mounting hardware, and where to place the mounting points??

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

motoxscott

Reaction

I had a '92 Bronco and started to go the route John mentioned (removing the outer skin), but when it was all said and done I ditched the inner and outer fenders completely and built a new core support from the cab to the core. The only thing is you have to mount the battery tray, airbox, hood hinge pivots and some other stuff to the new supports. I wish it was as easy as the rangers are, but it's not.

I'm pretty sure you can't just pull the outer skin off and mount them, I've never seen it done that way on the '92-'96 F-150's, its always been a new core support. I could be wrong though, if you can do it leaving the inner fender you have to do some major trimming to it.

Maybe call Camburg, H&M, Newline, etc and ask them.

Hope this helps..........

-Scott

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

Just bolt it to the existing inner fender wheel, No fancy hardware needed you can use screw, or do it a little nicer and use nuts and bolts and washers. It will bolt to factory locations usually in two places so line those up then drill the upper hole mounts.

"faster than it looks"

1992f150

Reaction

listen to motoxscott what he said is good advice. If you try to cut off the fender it will be a big pain in the ass because the outer fender goes behind the headlight assembly, by the door, under the wheel well etc........boy does it suck trying to glass these things. If your not gonna do new core support, use the spot drill method so the new fender fits up good.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction

The others are correct yank out the inner and outer together.....make the new core supports and call it done....the Sawzall method will have you shaking more than a pitbull trying to poop out a peach pit....

Start drinking till you see double and act single

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

In his question it says these are going to mounted to a stock body and not an engine cage. I could have told him to go to Camburg and have a tubular core support built the right way but that was not what he was looking for.

"faster than it looks"

In_the_works

Reaction

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds to me like I'm better off waiting until I put in my engine cage to mount them. Not like I'm gonna need 'em until I get coilovers anyways. I just couldn't pass them up at $250 for the pair.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250