GM 4L60E transmission leaking

Ryno

Reaction
My 4L60E in my 94 Chevy is leaking from the pump seal, in the front of the transmission. The fluid is actually leaking through the flywheel cover. I've never been inside the guts, except to change the servo piston, and do some small valve body work, etc. Does anybody have a diagram so I can see exactly what I am getting into? I would like to keep it out of a shop, and from what I have seen, the seals are cheap, just have to pull the transmission. Thanks for any info/ tips!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
It could be leaking from one of two places. Either the main seal (torque converter snout) or the 0-ring around the pump body itself. To do anymore than the shaft seal without a good book is not logical. If it is the shaft seal, you should inspect the various nearby parts (snout, bushings, etc) for excess wear. Pulling the pump housing out should not be done without knowledge. There are thrust washers and other goodies inside which can become dislodged or misaligned.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>