• Forum membership has its advantages....

GMC's All Terrain X pickup goes to war with Ford Raptor?

Chris Tobin

Saw this through Yahoo Finance. The article says it has the z71 suspension but doesn't have anything close to the raptor suspension price. Does anyone actually think this will compete with the Raptor?

GMC's All Terrain X pickup goes to war with Ford Raptor
Sounds more like a TRD type sticker package rather than a Raptor fighter... Bummer, it would be nice to have competition for the Raptor and for GM to throw their hat in the performance off road ring!!!

Dirty Harry

I agree, I thought it was pretty audacious of them to even mention the raptor in the title!
It is the off-road truck that all others are measured against. Manufacturers want the Raptor's sales but don't seem to want to put in the effort to actually make a competitive product.

Chris Tobin

I agree, I thought it was pretty audacious of them to even mention the raptor in the title!
In GMs defense, they did not write the article or headline. That would be the USA Today "car/truck" guy that sensationalized the headline trying to drum up readers and controversy. The GM guy quoted in the article seems to know it is just an appearance package...

“Styling is the biggest influence on Sierra customers and the new Sierra All Terrain X builds on that with a more aggressive, personalized appearance that complements its exceptional capability,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC sales and marketing, in a statement. "It joins other models such as the new Sierra Elevation and premium Sierra Denali to offers more choices for finding the premium truck that matches customers’ style and capability needs."

It is the off-road truck that all others are measured against. Manufacturers want the Raptor's sales but don't seem to want to put in the effort to actually make a competitive product.
It really is a bummer that they do not want to put in the effort to step up and compete. But in reality, except for a relatively small percentage of Raptor owners, trucks do not get driven aggressively off road except for those in our Desert Race community. I am amazed by how many Raptors I see driving around here in Tennessee, most of which never even touch the dirt.

Just like when GM, Ford and others started dropping manual transmissions from their lineups, there really is only a very small demand for products like the Raptor to be used as it was built/intended. I am not at all a Ford guy, but I commend them for building and sticking with a platform that probably should be a simple sticker package according to all the bean counters!!!

Dirty Harry

It really is a bummer that they do not want to put in the effort to step up and compete. But in reality, except for a relatively small percentage of Raptor owners, trucks do not get driven aggressively off road except for those in our Desert Race community. I am amazed by how many Raptors I see driving around here in Tennessee, most of which never even touch the dirt.
I see a million Jeep Rubicons in Reno that never go off-road either. It doesn't matter how people use them, it matters how they could use them. People are buying an image and lifestyle. And they want that to be authentic, even if their actual usage isn't. F the bean counters. They would have axed the Raptor and they would have axed the Rubicon. Both have sold way more than the bean counters ever anticipated yet other manufacturers don't seem to get the hint that people value authenticity more than sticker packages.

Chris Tobin

I see a million Jeep Rubicons in Reno that never go off-road either. It doesn't matter how people use them, it matters how they could use them. People are buying an image and lifestyle. And they want that to be authentic, even if their actual usage isn't. F the bean counters. They would have axed the Raptor and they would have axed the Rubicon. Both have sold way more than the bean counters ever anticipated yet other manufacturers don't seem to get the hint that people value authenticity more than sticker packages.
Amen, brother!!! Preach!!!

I would love the see GM pull the trigger on the 4.5L Duramax for the 1/2-ton trucks and SUVs as well as the ZR2 Colorado they showed a while back but the bean counters seem to keep on getting in the way of the cool things we want!!!

biggjim

LOL!!! Z71 is nothing but a skid plate and some white body shocks....GTFO! Oh dont forget the 1980's roll bar and Square roof lights

5280Ranger

LOL!!! Z71 is nothing but a skid plate and some white body shocks....GTFO! Oh dont forget the 1980's roll bar and Square roof lights
I thought the same thing about the roll bar

"Taking design cues from past pickups with a sloping bar connecting the roof line with the edge of the truck bed, the 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain X joins the growing mix of pickup trucks with luxury pricing and aggressive off-road styling and capability."

biggjim

I thought the same thing about the roll bar

"Taking design cues from past pickups with a sloping bar connecting the roof line with the edge of the truck bed, the 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain X joins the growing mix of pickup trucks with luxury pricing and aggressive off-road styling and capability."
There.....fixed it....

"Taking design cues from past pickups with a sloping bar connecting the roof line with the edge of the truck bed, an all new sticker package and the same old 6"s of wheel travel the 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain X joins the growing mix of Poser pickup trucks with luxury pricing and aggressive off-road styling......No new capability included."

Charlietuna

In GMs defense, they did not write the article or headline. That would be the USA Today "car/truck" guy that sensationalized the headline trying to drum up readers and controversy. The GM guy quoted in the article seems to know it is just an appearance package...
“Styling is the biggest influence on Sierra customers and the new Sierra All Terrain X builds on that with a more aggressive, personalized appearance that complements its exceptional capability,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC sales and marketing, in a statement. "It joins other models such as the new Sierra Elevation and premium Sierra Denali to offers more choices for finding the premium truck that matches customers’ style and capability needs."

Just like when GM, Ford and others started dropping manual transmissions from their lineups, there really is only a very small demand for products like the Raptor to be used as it was built/intended. I am not at all a Ford guy, but I commend them for building and sticking with a platform that probably should be a simple sticker package according to all the bean counters!!!

While I agree with your overall point, CAFE fuel standards have more to do with the OEM's dropping manual transmissions than anything. Humans can't shift/drive vehicles better than the computer to achieve maximum fuel efficiency, so government regulations essentially forced the mfg's hands in this aspect of it.

As to the truck in the link, I give it a half-hearted "meh".....5.3 and ~365hp vs the 6.2l at ~400+ horses? Pretty sure which one I'd put my money on.

Chris Tobin

While I agree with your overall point, CAFE fuel standards have more to do with the OEM's dropping manual transmissions than anything. Humans can't shift/drive vehicles better than the computer to achieve maximum fuel efficiency, so government regulations essentially forced the mfg's hands in this aspect of it.

As to the truck in the link, I give it a half-hearted "meh".....5.3 and ~365hp vs the 6.2l at ~400+ horses? Pretty sure which one I'd put my money on.
The take rate on manual trans F-150 had dropped down below 1,000 per year if I remember correctly from the press conference when they dropped the option. That has nothing to do with CAFE and everything to do with a TINY percentage preferring to shift their own gears. I believe that most models that offer a manual and auto still show better MPG in the govt testing than an auto showing once again that CAFE has little to do with it. Additionally, the percentage of MT vs AT sold is so insignificant that it would barely budge the needle on the CAFE average...

johndjmix

I don't see why a company like Toyota doesn't give it a shot, I'm all about ford and love my raptor but why no challengers?

I'm thinking a 1/2 ton with either irs or a 4 link, some serious suspension up front, stock 37's, and a chase rack as a factory option would kick ass.

FYI, was Ivan Stewart's TT IRS?

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

nimrod

KOOK!
I think that the biggest group of buyers mostly want a truck that looks tough cruising a mall and can get down a fire road or through a little mud. I get Chevy and Toyota marketing to them but for the rest of us I'm very grateful for Ford and the Raptor.

ChromolyKid

Haha that's awesome.

On a side note, I'm glad to be seeing more power wagons lately.
I just bought one a couple weeks ago. Best truck I've ever driven, and incredibly capable. No factory 1/2 ton would stand a chance against a PW, the TFL video of a Raptor trying to climb a mining trail is comical.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

J Prich

Is the "capable" off road truck market really robust enough to support a manufacturers war? If the Raptor is already filling a niche market, what incentive do the other manufacturers have to spend the time, money, etc necessary to field a competitor just to get a small slice of the tiny slice?