• Forum membership has its advantages....

GMT900 Silverado 4wd (07-13) Mid Travel or upgrade stock?

Dooflatchie

Hey guys, I'm planning a build in the future and am tossing around ideas. I'll cut to the chase:

Vehicle I'm planning to work with is an 07-13 Silverado 1500 4x4 Crew cab

My intended purpose is what leaves me undecided. I want a truck that will be able to meet 3 criteria

--Handle well off road at speed. No extreme woops at 60mph but dirt trails through woods / mountains would require upgraded shocks at a minimum I'm sure? Not sure how durable the GMT900 front suspensions are but at a minimum upgrading to stronger components would probably be a good idea.

--Capable through slower, slicker / muddy conditions, (as why Im going with 4wd.) No 6 foot deep mud holes but deep puddles and soft muddy ground is very commonplace around here.

--Streetable enough for long car rides (say a 3-5 hour ride) This is easy as anything near stock will obviously drive and ride well, not the least of which I'm used to bouncing along in an old rusted out K2500 anyway.

I'm happy with a 33" tire and would prefer to keep the stock fenders, trimming if needed.

Also, any input on what to do for rear suspension is much appreciated.

This leads me to think, would a mid travel kit be worthwhile? Or is simply upgrading stock style components going to work well in my case? I was looking at some offerings by Baja Kits, Mazzulla, and Camburg. They all offer mid travel kits and/or upgraded stock style performance suspensions parts / kits.

Any input, advice or guidance you guys have would be much appreciated. Also any other companies you recommend looking into would help. Thanks!

TL;DR: Whats a good suspension upgrade for a 4wd GMT900 so I can beat on it through some wooded trails?

Sreidmx

With the use and tire I'm inclined to suggest an upper arm with the uniball for reliability reasons and a good shock, it doesn't sound like you need height, the stock suspension isn't bad if valves correctly can work well given the driver understands the limits. I might upgrade to a stronger tie rod as well, otherwise leave it..

Dooflatchie

With the use and tire I'm inclined to suggest an upper arm with the uniball for reliability reasons and a good shock, it doesn't sound like you need height, the stock suspension isn't bad if valves correctly can work well given the driver understands the limits. I might upgrade to a stronger tie rod as well, otherwise leave it..
Thanks for the input, sounds reasonable and about what I thought too.

At what point would a mid travel kit be of use? Only when more travel is needed for woops and such? Do they help with control and stability at speed off road?

Sreidmx

Mid travel kits add more components, and more complexity, also add coilovers (possibly) which take the performance up quite a bit, I guess it really depends on your budget, if you can justify the extra cost then do it. you wont regret it.

CrzyG

I am in the same situation as you are I have come to the point ere decision is solid.

I want to get upper control arms but want to know how much the stock would open up so I could order some coil-overs King, Fox, or Icon... only other thing is I also want at least 3 inch lift from stock height because of the way it looks...

Also must replace rear shocks too because you want to have similar softness so the ride does not throw passengers up to the roof in the rear seat.

I am highly considering Total Chaos upper control arms and fox or king shocks have not found which size I would place. Or you can order the Icon they have a kit for upper control arm and coil-overs.