• Forum membership has its advantages....

Go Pro race setup/problems

Bravo

Hello - looking for guidance for those who run gopros during races. We have 3 Hero7 Blacks, but they all seem to die in 45 min to an hour range. I have read a bit that battery life is not great, but that seems a bit rediculous. We are running at 1440/60fps, smoothing on. Been frustrating! Some will have remaining battery power, but just stop recording for some reason.

I think we will look into hard wiring battery power, and maybe set up the remote turn on. Any tips, suggestions appreciated.

MTPyle

We get our Butts kicked with our Gopros also. We have 2 and they shut off all the time. We have them hooked up to vehicle power. Sometimes they shut down from heat. At V2R qualifying we didn’t make it thru the course before they shut off and said overheat.

We have an Audio input device that also creates problems. The Hero7 audio input just sucks and shuts down.

At a small Local race they only lasted an hour and just stopped recording. Missed our roll over which sucked.

The crazy thing is we are tech guys by trade. We deal with complicated electronics every day. But somehow the GoPro is kicking our butts.

I have a Garmin VIRB for my plane that I think we will put in the race truck. Maybe that will be better?

Mike

Bravo

Thanks Mike, Sad to hear of the same problems, but makes me feel better. Overtemp maybe the other issue. Of course, we have missed some awesome potential footage as well due to shutting off. I have hours of footage of us staging tho!

Might have to look into other brands. Let me know how the VIRB works out.

Chris

MTPyle

We think the problem with over hearing was that we put a dead camera into the truck so it was trying to charge it and created heat. Next time we will make sure to have them fully charged before we put them in.

Also we are pretty sure that the audio input device has a bad connection and when the audio signal goes away it stops recording.

The Garmin has Bluetooth audio so we are going to try and add a Bluetooth streaming device to our comms output.

The camera that does not have audio seems to work better.

Another bone head problem was not cleaning the lens while racing. We actually got a bunch of footage from V2R but it was so dusty it was unusable. We need a reminder to wipe it clean. Haha.

Mike

EOR1488

Hello - looking for guidance for those who run gopros during races. We have 3 Hero7 Blacks, but they all seem to die in 45 min to an hour range. I have read a bit that battery life is not great, but that seems a bit rediculous. We are running at 1440/60fps, smoothing on. Been frustrating! Some will have remaining battery power, but just stop recording for some reason.

I think we will look into hard wiring battery power, and maybe set up the remote turn on. Any tips, suggestions appreciated.
Well battery life in them isnt great but that seems a little less than normal. Try 1080p 30 or 60fps should be fine. We post most video on to Facebook, Insta and Youtube and no one watches it over 1080 anyways because there streaming it. Also make sure your screen brightness and other things are lower to help that battery life out at all. I usually get about 100-110 minutes out of mine.

Bravo

Probably right, anything more than 1080p/30 is probably a waste, especially after 5 minutes of dust accumulation. Will try that in Laughlin and see what happens.

Bravo

Another bone head problem was not cleaning the lens while racing. We actually got a bunch of footage from V2R but it was so dusty it was unusable. We need a reminder to wipe it clean. Haha.

Mike
We need those formula 1 rotating lens self-cleaning assemblies!

paranoid56

set it up with external power but a good plug setup. I seem to always have issues with gopro lol.
their software also sucks. having the video and gps data is awesome, but they dont have software to make it all work lol

Zambo

I’ve seen an app that lets you record the audio and gps data with a phone and sync it to the GoPro or other camera, but now I can’t remember the name of it. Seems like a good idea because the mic adapter for the GoPro is the most ridiculous thing ever and also because the GoPro can’t get good gps signal inside the cab under the roof where I like to put it. If anybody knows what app I’m talking about let me know.

sredish

For Iphones, there's a Myk Video App. Not sure about androids offhand.

dzrt performance

a real motorsports camera with no battery to mess with. even better if you already have Motec in your ride, it will read the CAN data and overlay the telemetry natively in the video

yes i have used them and they work flawlessly. you can select what resolution, what gauges are displayed, automatic start/stop parameters and so forth. and yes it more expensive then a go pro.

paranoid56

a real motorsports camera with no battery to mess with. even better if you already have Motec in your ride, it will read the CAN data and overlay the telemetry natively in the video

yes i have used them and they work flawlessly. you can select what resolution, what gauges are displayed, automatic start/stop parameters and so forth. and yes it more expensive then a go pro.
its 4x the cost and doesnt even come close to gopro in features and video resolution. All modern gopros can also do gauges due to the built in gps

Bravo

thanks will look into this. Looking for reliability and ease of use. I’m sure I can just add a button or two on the multiplex button stack to turn the, on or off. Don’t need high res.. 1080p probably fine.

dzrt performance

thanks will look into this. Looking for reliability and ease of use. I’m sure I can just add a button or two on the multiplex button stack to turn the, on or off. Don’t need high res.. 1080p probably fine.
you cant beat the motec for reliability and ease of use......for example it uses a Deutsch motorsports connection for power.....bullet proof....and it has an app you install on your PC to setup what you want it to do......then you put it in the truck and forget about it. its 1980x1080 at 30fps....what more do you need? and yes you can manually control it by simply wiring the power to a switch if you aren't already equipped with Motec. sure its expensive compared to gopro....but what good is a cheaper camera if you have issues with it?

paranoid56

depends on who your audience is. I dont even own a 1080p tv anymore lol. But for 90% of your audience, 1080p is fine. but oh man does 4k look good :D
you cant beat the motec for reliability and ease of use......for example it uses a Deutsch motorsports connection for power.....bullet proof....and it has an app you install on your PC to setup what you want it to do......then you put it in the truck and forget about it. its 1980x1080 at 30fps....what more do you need? and yes you can manually control it by simply wiring the power to a switch if you aren't already equipped with Motec. sure its expensive compared to gopro....but what good is a cheaper camera if you have issues with it?
agree on all points. just sucks that they are 10years behind on tech. 1080 @ 30fps is 10years or so old now. they need to upgrade. with some tweaks the battery side (external) its been solid. now the software is something else, but there are some good alts out thee for that

One-Eyed Peter

Get multiple batteries ( I think they're about $15/each) and do a battery change at each pit. ;)

landshark

We have been using a Garmin Virb360 the last few times out (A guy in my crew owns it). It has allot of bells and whistles and accepts a 256GB memory card which lasts about 6 hours shooting 4K video in 360 degrees, 128GB card lasts 3 hours. If you just want regular aspect ratio - ie front facing camera recording only at 4K it will last around 12+ hours but you should be able to look up the specs to be sure.

We hard wired the camera into a usb port in a race Bronco but it does have an on board battery as well, we don't know how long it will last on that.

Not sure if it has audio in for comms but assume it might have something, It does have blue tooth and streaming functionality. I don't really care if we capture intercom audio because I bet half the stuff I say is dumb anyway :) besides most people just want to hear the engine noise.

Oh the audio is also 360 - but you can turn off the front or back microphone if you want to eliminate wind noise or something else int hat direction.

Uploading to YouTube it formats it into a 360 video that you can click and drag around in, on mobile devices you can do the same with your finger or move the phone around.

Here is an example from the 2019 NORRA1000 -

Below is a recent one we shot while testing in September, we moved the mount to the back of the cage to see the dash gauges, we are going to move it again to be higher for a better view of the road ahead and eliminate the glare. Warning, it was windy and we have no windshield - ie. wind noise.

It records a laundry list of telemetry that you can overlay on your video in a bunch of different styles and custom the location/layout. Its pretty cool.

PROS: Great Camera, shoots excellent video and seems pretty reliable, we used it in excess of 14 hours a day for 5 days without an issue. Has a ton of features that you can turn on or off. Shoots in 360 degree 4K resolution. Has multiple microphones, Accepts 256GB cards. Has a simple remote you can mount somewhere else to control it when you can't reach it.

CONS: The Garmin Software is really not great, but it does work. The software is better on a Windows machine and the machine needs to have some beef to the CPU and Video Card. On the Mac the software is barely useable and if you can stop it from crashing its slow to process video and export it.

Last edited:

michael.gonzalez

Wow! Now that is the setup! Thanks for showing us and giving your input. The 360 is so neat and the gauge overlays on the dash was a total surprise!