GOING TO V2R AS SPECTATOR

FilemonaTheXJ

Reaction
Hello Everyone, my dad and I are planning to go for first time to an open dessert race in the US, we have gone to Baja and , we want to watch the Jeepspeeds, since score races are not in the official schedule. so we want to go to V2R, we want to go to the race day, but we do not know where to go as an spectator, or where is the startline. I'm asking for recommendations, as we see in the mint 400 exist spectator zone, i don't know if in v2r is the same, if we have to buy tickets? what do we need to do, HELP !

AZ7000'

Reaction
Might not be the best race to choose, smaller races in CA or NV open desert may be better. The start is supposed to be closed to spectators but you could most likely get to the line and see them shoot down a long straight road. BITD and the Nevada LEO's frown very hard if you stop on the highway, the pits are supposed to be racers only but you could probably BS your way in to see cars at the pit speed, maybe 15mph??

Great race to race and chase, but the only spectators you really see out on course are along the last 30-40 miles and they appear to be locals knowing where to spectate. If you are way north then it would be ok, dark for most of the racers but ok.

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Not exactly like Baja or V2R, but I'd highly recommend hitting the King Of The Hammers if you have to pick an event as a visit to the USA. You can rent a motorhome and join 80,000 race fans in the desert. Good spectator opportunities right in Hammertown, but it would be best if you also rented a Jeep or other vehicle to get you to spectator spots, especially at night when the non-racers hit the tough sections - I could see the area Chocolate Thunder lit up like daylight at 4am from my camper outside of Hammertown. I'm telling you, it is really worth going to and you might see some jeeps. Or what used to be Jeeps. I brought 'non-offroad people' including a teenager from Japan. They LOVED it. This community is pretty close knit. You might be able to reach out in advance and arrange for some help in getting to the spectator spots.

FilemonaTheXJ

Reaction
@AZ7000' Which BITD race do you recommend me to go, and you think will be better for an spectator?
@TwistyItch Yes, we're planning to go to 2020 KOH, I think it's a great event that I must witness, btw any recommendation for the hammers? can I choose a spot near to the race course, or something like that, we have a cherokee, so the trail is not going to be a problem

Last edited:

Pee Wee

Reaction
Don't be afraid to go to Vegas to Reno to spectate. There are plenty of places to see the race go by. If you are going to watch Jeepspeed cars the I strongly recommend you hook up with Clive or Mike at tech and they will hook you up.

C4

Reaction
Vegas to Reno is quite easy to spectate. The pits are supposed to be race teams only but none are regulated. Pit captains have more important things to do than to care about who comes in or out. All are very near to highways and if you had a driver or class you wanted to track you could easily leap frog them up the highway.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
I just messaged you with my cell number text me and I can steer you to the Jeepspeed promotor and a few teams who would be glad to have you visit with.

vegasloki

Reaction
I've spectated V2R and I found it to be a hassle. Possible but spectator unfriendly. Were I going to pick a BITD race it would be Laughlin or Parker. I like Laughlin because it's a loop and there is a festival atmosphere along the main drag.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Good thread for this time of year. Spectating VtoR is similar to a peninsula B1K in that the cars only go by once making it somewhat boring. The main difference is spectating is NOT encouraged in Nevada where in Baja it's a way of life. And the tacos. And the beach. And the 'ritas.

J Prich

Reaction
The biggest issue I see is given the heat, the best places to watch from are farther north...say Tonopah and beyond. But if you're waiting specifically for Jeepspeeds, the farther north you go the greater likelihood that they won't get to you until after dark so...

But there are definitely opportunities to go out and spectate. Finding a Jeepspeed team to chase with would probably be more fun for you though.

slim01

Reaction
As a racer, I had a great time passing thru the pit that Locos Mocos were running (2015). If I were looking to spectate it'd either be to chase a team or find out where the Locos crew were going to be and ask if I could tag along with them.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Locos Mocos will be at an undisclosed location being extreme spectators.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
When in Beatty stop in and say Hi to our friends at the Happy Burro Chili and Beer!
100 Main Street Beatty NV 89003
775 553 9099

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
@AZ7000' Which BITD race do you recommend me to go, and you think will be better for an spectator?
@TwistyItch Yes, we're planning to go to 2020 KOH, I think it's a great event that I must witness, btw any recommendation for the hammers? can I choose a spot near to the race course, or something like that, we have a cherokee, so the trail is not going to be a problem

With a Cherokee you'll go everywhere. Backdoor, Chocolate Thunder, the Hammers, etc. About the time it comes around, you'll see a lot more logistics posts happening here. Wind and fine sand is a problem, so bring goggles & facemask (bandana or whatever) and it gets cold at night.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
If you come to V2R come see me at pit 1. I am usually by the road crossing. Where I sit you can see racers come down the hill before road crossing. My truck is same as my Avatar. Rescue 3 with MSS BITD

E-ROC

Reaction
Sign up to be a volunteer. You can request an area closer to the start of the course and be a part of the race too. Who knows, maybe some teams will need help around you and being an "official" you are allowed to lend them a hand. Awesome experience helping the race! I go to alot of BITD races and help with retrieval and safety.
As far as KOH I attend all of the west coast races and work on course doing recovery and roaming to help stranded racers.
You can get ahold of me before the Hammers race and I would be glad to meet with you and take you around to see all the best spectating areas and the places to go watch the non-racing events during the downtimes.

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Sign up to be a volunteer. You can request an area closer to the start of the course and be a part of the race too.

My own opinion as someone who volunteered, is that you can be stuck in one spot and not see anything but that one spot. I chose to volunteer only one day and had other days to show my non-racer guests all over. Glad I did it because I met some great people.

Last edited:

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Don't be afraid to go to Vegas to Reno to spectate. There are plenty of places to see the race go by. If you are going to watch Jeepspeed cars the I strongly recommend you hook up with Clive or Mike at tech and they will hook you up.

Best reply in this thread. I also think the vegas to reno race is a great race to spectate especially the Jeep Speed class. Just stay out of the pits early in the racet because they are crowded. But by the time Jeep Speed gets to most pits they will be pretty empty. Some of the pits are very tight and some are wide open. You drive down a highway most of the time that the race course goes close to. Plenty of place to watch. Especially further into the race. Go check out contingency and buy some stuff to support the venders and go check out the race vehicles up close.