golf cart drive belts

brad inch

not a golf cart guy,but why cant they make a clutch and rear hub that uses two belts,or just use a damn chain???

harleys dad

chains streatch, I dont have any belt issues on my turbo Polaris, pre running and glamis over 800 miles zero issues. I dont think there would be a way to put 2 belts, one thing forsure some have belt issues others dont but one thing is forsure sand dunes can and will heat a belt to failure and glamis has nothing on the dunes they went threw in Peru, much respect for that, some of those dunes were gigantic
\

mrlentle

not a golf cart guy,but why cant they make a clutch and rear hub that uses two belts,or just use a damn chain???
Chain would make a CVT pretty complicated compared to what a belt can offer.

michael_loomis

Chain would make a CVT pretty complicated compared to what a belt can offer.

I agree with my esteemed colleague mrlentle. You’d have to have a pretty complicated gear change system for the sprockets.

CVT belts ride in clutches and secondary clutches. The clutch sheave that the belt rides in is a constantly variable width depending on load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zambo

6000 miles on my CanAm and haven't blown a belt. Of course I change it out every 1000-1500 miles just like I would change a worn down tire.

bajaherbie

Toyo needs to make a UTV specific tire for Team Speed.... and others.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

bajaherbie

Robby had lots of issues but lighter tires would have put less stress on the rubber band in the CTV.

Zambo

Toyo needs to make a UTV specific tire for Team Speed.... and others.

Light weight everything on a UTV is key, but especially unsprung weight, and double especially rotating unsprung weight.

partybarge_pilot

Rubby did the best he could with those tires. Shaved them within an inch of their lives. Inner sidewalls too. Probably should have done the inside and the outer sidewalls too.

Reminds me of the 35" Yok's that Cam had to run at the 500. At least they bought him real tires for the 1000.......

Bull-dust

Team cvt - belt

Subaru cvt uses a chain in an oil bath

With the 15-20 percent power loss of a cvt belt vs a sequential gearbox. Depending on the rules (and obviously available gearbox rotations/ matching engine rotations etc. Mount the SXS engine (rear or back from mid) longitudinally run into a front wheel drive race car sequential (mounted behind the sxs seats longitudinally) and then into front and rear diffs for four wheel drive. Many different manufacturers make 2wd fwd sequential now hewland, xtrac, sadev, Holinger, quaife?, etc use an external oil cooler and no belt swapping necessary.
e.g holinger sequential (77 lbs and 106 lbs)(don't think albins make a front wheel drive box) & use with a ap race clutch (quick change)
SF
MF-2WD
Not that it takes much time to change a cvt belt.
Changing a can-am belt

43mod

Bull dust that made my head hurt. Pretty large effort to build a 1000 cc class 1/10 car

Zambo

Why would a CVT have a 15-20% power loss compared to a sequential? If you're talking about v-belt friction being higher than friction between gear teeth that are directly in contact with each other, sure. But the most fuel efficient cars in the world run CVTs and they wouldn't do it if it took more power to drive the wheels.

With a CVT the car has unlimited gears basically and its always in the power band compared to any other kind of transmission where you have to go from one gear to the next. The requirement to have multiple gear ratios in a single box and shift between them while trying to put max power to the ground negates any efficiency from direct gear to gear contact. Watch any UTV in-car and you see as soon as the driver hits the gas the motor goes immediately to max RPM and stays there until he lifts.

Again, if the car is set up properly, you shouldn't be blowing belts even in a Baja 1000, and if you do its like getting a flat. The belt is like a fuse that protects the gearbox. Its pretty rare to hear of any UTV actually blowing up a transmission, although I'm sure it does occasionally happen.

Hendricus

Why would a CVT have a 15-20% power loss compared to a sequential? If you're talking about v-belt friction being higher than friction between gear teeth that are directly in contact with each other, sure. But the most fuel efficient cars in the world run CVTs and they wouldn't do it if it took more power to drive the wheels.

With a CVT the car has unlimited gears basically and its always in the power band compared to any other kind of transmission where you have to go from one gear to the next. The requirement to have multiple gear ratios in a single box and shift between them while trying to put max power to the ground negates any efficiency from direct gear to gear contact. Watch any UTV in-car and you see as soon as the driver hits the gas the motor goes immediately to max RPM and stays there until he lifts.

Again, if the car is set up properly, you shouldn't be blowing belts even in a Baja 1000, and if you do its like getting a flat. The belt is like a fuse that protects the gearbox. Its pretty rare to hear of any UTV actually blowing up a transmission, although I'm sure it does occasionally happen.
Good input Zambo. Is it your opinion that the CVT is here to stay in the SxS's? Would you say for both the recreational SxS (which are build to many levels of performance too), and for the Baja race car too? I mean, CVT did just win the Dakar (SxS class), and every CanAm out there was CVT too.

partybarge_pilot

But the most fuel efficient cars in the world run CVTs and they wouldn't do it if it took more power to drive the wheels.
Totally different animal. Those have metal belts and run in oil. The clutch "shifting" is also controlled by a computer, not just some centrifugal weights. From My recent Nissan rental car test, they do not like neutral drops or being rallied in manual mode. Running whoops with one would surely not end well.

Zambo

Totally different animal. Those have metal belts and run in oil. The clutch "shifting" is also controlled by a computer, not just some centrifugal weights. From My recent Nissan rental car test, they do not like neutral drops or being rallied in manual mode. Running whoops with one would surely not end well.
Lol, I'm not suggesting putting a CVT from a street car into a buggy. I'm just talking about the general principle.

I always equated a CVT to the constant speed prop in an airplane or helo. The engine is always right in the power band, and when you give it gas, centrifugal weights move to increase the pitch of the prop, just like the weights in a CVT clutch. It allows the motor to use every ounce of power and keep the engine as light as possible.

Zambo

Good input Zambo. Is it your opinion that the CVT is here to stay in the SxS's? Would you say for both the recreational SxS (which are build to many levels of performance too), and for the Baja race car too? I mean, CVT did just win the Dakar (SxS class), and every CanAm out there was CVT too.
I don't know. The thing is that although belts are a lot stronger than they used to be, they are still a limiting factor for how much power you can generate. Every bit of power to propel the car gets to the wheels by pulling on that belt. Just because they build a set of pulleys and a belt that is more than capable of using 172hp to push a 1700lb car down the trail on 30" tires doesn't mean you can just throw bigger tires that are twice as heavy on a car with 220hp that weighs over 2500lbs and still get the same results. Its still the same belt. I dunno, I only got my first SxS a couple years ago when the x3 came out, but after messing with this thing all that time I find myself tempted to beef up this and that so it'll be "bombproof," but in the end I always come back to the philosophy of keeping the car light weight.

michael_loomis

Nissan also makes the worst CVT’s in the world.

michael_loomis

What if we used electromagnetism?

Say 2 tiered sprockets opposing one another.. magnetic loops around each “gear” segment, as it spins, the computer fires them off in order and gets the second cone spinning. Follow me?

michael_loomis

IMG_4815.jpg

ISRengine

We have use belt for decade in snowmobile, we was doing ice drag racing, and with engine that have way more hp then SxS in baja or dakar,
where is hard it's dust and cooling in dakar
It happen when it broke that it can destroy clutch and ripe in multitude of srting, so it twist on the primary,...., been lost like 4hours get it fit in deep woods,...

On snowmobile it will last if you use your head