On Topic golf karts!!!

Rslhc

Reaction
I have not ridden out in Havasu in a very long time. Get that suspension dialed in and the chatter bumps are not too bad.
Come ride it now and let us know how 'not bad' it is. Also, I dont know about UTVs, but no amount of suspension work can make what has happened to our washes and trails 'not bad'. I was putting some miles on our 450x race bike for the 1000 yesterday. Fresh AHM suspension that was working AMAZING, and the rzr chop / chatter bumps still sucked.

Im not enough of an engineering expert to know why. But in 15 years of riding in Havasu, the advent of UTVs has changed the terrain more than any other time. Is it the CVT? Is it the wheel base? Is it the amount of traffic? Is it the 4wd of the UTVs? Is it the suspension? I dont know. But as a bike rider it sucks. A lot. The single track that is left un adulterated gets some braking and acceleration bumps, yes. But NOTHING like what is being done to the two track in the area. So good luck convincing me that UTVs are not causing new and additional decay / damage to our desert and trail systems. Add to that the lack of etiquette that seems to prevail (and has already been discussed) and the cons of recreational UTV use start stacking up.

Am I a bit ranty? Yes. Because this stuff isn't theory. Its real life here in Havasu. And our citizens and business owners that are fed up with UTVs for one reason or another lump us 2 wheel guys into the category and are pre-disposed to be pissed at us. Even though our Moto group are the ones going and maintaining trail heads, hauling away trash and illegal dumping, and doing what we can to preserve the desert while also enjoying it.

Also, I keep coming back to OEMs on this. Polaris has a testing site 100 yards from one of the most well used trail heads. They abuse the heck out of that area with their testing. To their credit, they do blade a good amount of the common stuff they use to try to help out. But there is nothing from them in terms of environmental responsibility. No sponsoring of desert cleanups from Polaris or the dealership around the corner from me that sells a crap ton of these things. No sponsored new rider/driver safety events. No talk on taking care of this stuff so its available for future generations. Just a whole lot of 'new sales event' 'financing available' and 'buy here' promos. Dont get me started on how said trailhead was just wiped clean and graded flat for the upcoming UTV race here.

Unfortunately someone else said it earlier. And until finances in the here and now are effected the oems won't give a crap about investing in safety and responsibility efforts, and Joe Funbody will keep going and financing a new RZR, X3, XX, etc and will be set loose with no knowledge, skills, experience, or etiquette. He'll then spend his weekend blasting around blind corners with tunes blaring and the GoPro filming so he can get his speed fix and IG likes.

As much as I sound like the old grump on the porch, I do actually think UTVs are cool. We are a family of 4 and a UTV would make a lot of sense as a family desert toy. They are low cost / performance ratio. They are small enough to be towed around by a 1/2 ton truck. They are very capable stock, and get even more so when modified. The oems stumbled upon a jackpot product here, as evidenced by their sales. But the culture that surrounds them has frustrated me so much that I personally will never buy one. Maybe recreational users elsewhere are better. who knows.

Last edited:

jon coleman

Reaction
Come ride it now and let us know how 'not bad' it is. Also, I dont know about UTVs, but no amount of suspension work can make what has happened to our washes and trails 'not bad'. I was putting some miles on our 450x race bike for the 1000 yesterday. Fresh AHM suspension that was working AMAZING, and the rzr chop / chatter bumps still sucked.

Im not enough of an engineering expert to know why. But in 15 years of riding in Havasu, the advent of UTVs has changed the terrain more than any other time. Is it the CVT? Is it the wheel base? Is it the amount of traffic? Is it the 4wd of the UTVs? Is it the suspension? I dont know. But as a bike rider it sucks. A lot. The single track that is left un adulterated gets some braking and acceleration bumps, yes. But NOTHING like what is being done to the two track in the area. So good luck convincing me that UTVs are not causing new and additional decay / damage to our desert and trail systems. Add to that the lack of etiquette that seems to prevail (and has already been discussed) and the cons of recreational UTV use start stacking up.

Am I a bit ranty? Yes. Because this stuff isn't theory. Its real life here in Havasu. And our citizens and business owners that are fed up with UTVs for one reason or another lump us 2 wheel guys into the category and are pre-disposed to be pissed at us. Even though our Moto group are the ones going and maintaining trail heads, hauling away trash and illegal dumping, and doing what we can to preserve the desert while also enjoying it.

Also, I keep coming back to OEMs on this. Polaris has a testing site 100 yards from one of the most well used trail heads. They abuse the heck out of that area with their testing. To their credit, they do blade a good amount of the common stuff they use to try to help out. But there is nothing from them in terms of environmental responsibility. No sponsoring of desert cleanups from Polaris or the dealership around the corner from me that sells a crap ton of these things. No sponsored new rider/driver safety events. No talk on taking care of this stuff so its available for future generations. Just a whole lot of 'new sales event' 'financing available' and 'buy here' promos. Dont get me started on how said trailhead was just wiped clean and graded flat for the upcoming UTV race here.

Unfortunately someone else said it earlier. And until finances in the here and now are effected the oems won't give a crap about investing in safety and responsibility efforts, and Joe Funbody will keep going and financing a new RZR, X3, XX, etc and will be set loose with no knowledge, skills, experience, or etiquette. He'll then spend his weekend blasting around blind corners with tunes blaring and the GoPro filming so he can get his speed fix and IG likes.

As much as I sound like the old grump on the porch, I do actually think UTVs are cool. We are a family of 4 and a UTV would make a lot of sense as a family desert toy. They are low cost / performance ratio. They are small enough to be towed around by a 1/2 ton truck. They are very capable stock, and get even more so when modified. The oems stumbled upon a jackpot product here, as evidenced by their sales. But the culture that surrounds them has frustrated me so much that I personally will never buy one. Maybe recreational users elsewhere are better. who knows.
I've noticed a lot more utv's being placed in rDc classifieds, question; does Klaus have financing available?, ,,, 90 days same as cash???,0 percent for 6 months? no??( wow , thats gotta suck for mx, i ride, sorta, and hit that utv crap just alittle out at Plaster city, mainly around the main camp areas, it is horrible, lucikly thers all kinds of off 2line riding out there, i think this phase of idiots will fade away like the fourtrax dune goon invasion of Glamis back in the day

Last edited:

ht racing

Reaction
I have not ridden out in Havasu in a very long time. Get that suspension dialed in and the chatter bumps are not too bad.
😂 😂 😂 😂 there is not any way to get your set up good in chatter bumps if you did the car would be so soft and tires down to 5 psi then the first big hit and its over with. this is not normal chatter this is hard as a rock beat down 12" chatter.

Tube ride

Reaction
No wonder walker evans is so busy these newbs go blow out their stock shocks first couple trips out ! And this is their first look at the desert , they don’t know anything else

Bro_Gill

Reaction
because sometimes they can be real idiots, bear in mind I'm not talking about the whole class of sxs, but the few that are just dumb, we have a neighbor who has a sxs and we got into talking about Baja and he told me "the best thing to do in the sild is to go slow and possibly stop to let the dust settle" I giggled and corrected him but I'm sure there are a handful of people out there that genuinely think that
When was the last time you were racing behind a SxS?

ht racing

Reaction

the ppl that do not live in havasu do not get it. these are the worse trails from over utv use ever!

sand shark

Reaction

Unfortunately, there is a new group of off-roaders that just lack common sense and trail etiquette. They apparently don't have someone to teach them the ways. Some are as annoying as the Jeep guys that plug up trails and never mover over to let you pass by.

Chatter bumps are no fun I get it and on a bike they must make your hands go numb. I had my suspension redone on my X3 and the chatter bumps are less annoying. Running 32" tires and finding the right speed to get across them helps.

UTVs are heavier, more powerful and run bigger tires than years past so if you get enough of them on the same trail over and over again it is going to change the terrain.

UTVs are here to stay and so is UTV racing. Maybe the promoters will blade some of the trails out there after the UTV Championship race.

I do plan on going out to Havasu this fall or winter to go check out the area. I will report back.

So far the chatter bumps on the ride from Barstow to Stateline are the worst I have encountered.

Maybe it is time for you to get a UTV. You might like it. LOL!!!

DG_BTI

Reaction
idk, I see utv's as their own worst enemy on the recreation side, not racing. Government will regulate them to death. It's going to happen, just a matter of time.

jon coleman

Reaction
idk, I see utv's as their own worst enemy on the recreation side, not racing. Government will regulate them to death. It's going to happen, just a matter of time.
trouble is they ( bad utv owner) drag Everyone else along into Their regulatory hell, so me on my dirt bike get to " enjoy" the fruits of bad utv s labor, , Thats why we had a party in the military, involved a' blanket', one bad apple fu ks it away for the whole squad, so this A hole utv crowd( not all), thing needs a good ole' Barny Fife bud nipp

jon coleman

Reaction
every utv needs to come with a blade on the back of it!!!
and traction control, when i was out riding at Plaster city, i notice Every frikken utv had to get going by Stabbing the throttle and spinning those skinny tall sand gouging tires and leaving trenches everywhere, if you have tc, no spin, no trench

ht racing

Reaction
and traction control, when i was out riding at Plaster city, i notice Every frikken utv had to get going by Stabbing the throttle and spinning those skinny tall sand gouging tires and leaving trenches everywhere, if you have tc, no spin, no trench
yes! i have run a trail over and over with my own utv no bumps..... throttle jockey!!

Tube ride

Reaction
As far as desert racing in America goes. I see many imminent threats to our sport. Politics, land closures, the Joshua tree getting deemed endangered , the green new future and solar farms, urban expansion, the gas car California bs, tariffs on resources, insurance and injury and so on. So to say utv is another problem sucks. I know chatter bumps suck , but in light of the big picture we may need the big corporate interest ( Polaris, CanAm,Yamaha....) These companies are so busy raking in the money they haven’t noticed that this absolutely is going to affect their future. As everything in life together we stand divided we fall . If Polaris wants to hire me to run a blade across the desert and pick up trash it would be in their best interest.

McCredie A

Reaction
I think grooming trails will become the reality of the future. If anyone has ever ridden snowmobiles, the major trails get groomed by a snow cat to get rid of the whoops.
They grade the state park at ocotillo wells a few times a year. When I end up over there and see it was just graded I feel like a PAB.

green787

Reaction
Screw it..... I give up..... I've come over...... I guess they are OK..... They are so ugly and sound like poop...... but Madie Wedeking is the grand daughter one of "my girls" at Fallbrook High School..... Class of '72..... She was so nice how she always accepted my forged progress reports "signed" by my Dad..... So..... Go UTV's!!!!! UTV"S (golf cars) forever....!!!!!! I'm selling the Toyota and buying a Robby Gordon special....!!!! So I can BE somebody!!!!!!!