On Topic golf karts!!!

jon coleman

Reaction
i drove one at this focus group thingy in 09'-10'?, And got paid 400 bucks, they wanted various racers input on some buggy thing they were focus grouping, first time driving one, it was ACTUALLY cool on how fun& quick they were then, cant imagine how fast todays rubber band rockets are

loufish

Reaction
The phrase people are looking for is "desert etiquette"...I like many started on bikes in the desert and got taught the etiquette by the old timers. Back in the early day no quads, no UTVs so hardly any "kooks"....but when the ATC's came out any idiot could ride, took no practice and seat time. Also we went on rides!...not just doughnuts around camp all day. Soon as the quads with their training wheels showed up the riding areas exploded with these new vehicles to ride but nobody to teach any etiquette....I've helped with desert clean ups, and like I'm sure a vast majority here, have cleaned up a mess left by losers...

jon coleman

Reaction
most fast things in the day were home built, by mad scientists and speed freeks, they knew the ramifications of stupid driving " styles", kids today think " style" is donuts& driving lost with your eyes closed and gas wide open, oh well, now
Get Off My LAWN

Bad-Latitude

Reaction
I am really torn on the UTV debate. I have been involved in the desert scene for the past 22 years. I started out riding dirt bikes, which I'm sure is how most people started out. I raced MX tracks and local desert races in District 37, as well as the SCORE series on bikes. I moved into truck racing in the MDR, Snore and More race series in a Class 7S truck. I raced a little bit in other classes as well. Then I landed a spot prepping and racing in a Trophy Truck. I raced the TT in Snore, More and BITD. I also have been building my own race UTV in my garage to race in smaller local races. Coming from dirt bikes, racing in trucks and now owning a UTV I feel like I can clearly see both sides of the UTV argument.

I get very annoyed with UTV owners when they get drunk and rip around the desert with no regard for other people. They also widen every trail so it makes it less fun for dirt bikes, not to mention that they change the terrain for the worse for larger vehicles. I used to get so annoyed in the TT because the woops, main race lines and hills are just plain different after a bunch of UTV's race on the course. The argument that people who buy UTV's are skill-less idiots who have a heavy right foot, no brains and no common courtesy is sometimes valid, (Example: Glamis on basically any holiday weekend.)

However, people that say that UTV owners are the only group that have no desert etiquette are dead wrong. I have met some really stupid UTV owners, but I have met some very talented and smart UTV owners as well. Trust me when I say that money doesn't always equal brains. There are stupid racers in every discipline and every class of racing. I've met people in the highest levels of desert racing that are just plain a$$holes, and plenty more that are really great people.

As for me, I enjoy my UTV. It allows me to get into a fun class of desert racing, at a price that I can afford. They are pretty easy as far as maintenance goes, fairly fast and a ton of fun to drive. I personally choose to race in UTV only races because I don't want to be slowing any of the faster cars down or become a hood ornament for a TT or Class 1 that is lapping me. Just my two cents for what its worth.

P.S. For anyone in a faster class that disagrees with me, please don't run me over, I will gladly move out of your way haha

harleys dad

Reaction
I know they are not cheap, I wrote a check for my 17 xp4 1000 For 22 grand and put a I cant say a small fortune but a large one in it then the next year I drove my friends xp turbo, the next day I bought one for 25 G and did the same thing to it long travel the whole 9 yards to where it could be raced if I chose to then bought a RS1 and have done a lot to it. Must say the Rs1 is the best dune machine I have found easily keeping with turbo cars threw the dunes. I am amazed at how much people put into them and they are everywhere from stock to crazy modded cars now I have a RG car on order, crazy

Class10DAN

Reaction
The term in surfing is KOOK! And the same thing is happening with stand up paddle boards. It used to take a truly dedicated disciplined person to have what it takes to be n the right place to catch the set waves. Now anybody can buy a sup and paddle out to the peak and kook it up.
dude i went out to San O today and a SUP dude cussed me out for cutting him off (the dad dropped in on me and i survived, idk if i had the right of way, but i did pop up and was already cross stepping up my log before he even did his maneuver) so i did what any surfer would do, i pushed the dad of his board, effing kooks always snaking my stick

sand shark

Reaction
I am really torn on the UTV debate. I have been involved in the desert scene for the past 22 years. I started out riding dirt bikes, which I'm sure is how most people started out. I raced MX tracks and local desert races in District 37, as well as the SCORE series on bikes. I moved into truck racing in the MDR, Snore and More race series in a Class 7S truck. I raced a little bit in other classes as well. Then I landed a spot prepping and racing in a Trophy Truck. I raced the TT in Snore, More and BITD. I also have been building my own race UTV in my garage to race in smaller local races. Coming from dirt bikes, racing in trucks and now owning a UTV I feel like I can clearly see both sides of the UTV argument.

I get very annoyed with UTV owners when they get drunk and rip around the desert with no regard for other people. They also widen every trail so it makes it less fun for dirt bikes, not to mention that they change the terrain for the worse for larger vehicles. I used to get so annoyed in the TT because the woops, main race lines and hills are just plain different after a bunch of UTV's race on the course. The argument that people who buy UTV's are skill-less idiots who have a heavy right foot, no brains and no common courtesy is sometimes valid, (Example: Glamis on basically any holiday weekend.)

However, people that say that UTV owners are the only group that have no desert etiquette are dead wrong. I have met some really stupid UTV owners, but I have met some very talented and smart UTV owners as well. Trust me when I say that money doesn't always equal brains. There are stupid racers in every discipline and every class of racing. I've met people in the highest levels of desert racing that are just plain a$$holes, and plenty more that are really great people.

As for me, I enjoy my UTV. It allows me to get into a fun class of desert racing, at a price that I can afford. They are pretty easy as far as maintenance goes, fairly fast and a ton of fun to drive. I personally choose to race in UTV only races because I don't want to be slowing any of the faster cars down or become a hood ornament for a TT or Class 1 that is lapping me. Just my two cents for what its worth.

P.S. For anyone in a faster class that disagrees with me, please don't run me over, I will gladly move out of your way haha
Glamis is loaded with people that are clueless. If you stay away from the main areas the dunes are pretty open with a lot less traffic on holiday weekends. Off weekends are the best out there.

green787

Reaction
So, everybody sees it as a plus that hundreds of thousands of new people are now off roaders that barely have a clue..... And this is a good thing for off road racing...... I don't remember feeling lonely when Competition Hill got shut down......

jon coleman

Reaction
Wait.....there are idiots at Glamis? When did this happen?
hey, dont look at me, haven't been there since......hmmm, forgot, i think Honda atc's were still air cooled...^, wtf! , comp. hill is closed??, when did That happen?, that was the best part of showing up friday night after a long work week, and driving by throwing out emptys......better shut up..

Class10DAN

Reaction
hey, dont look at me, haven't been there since......hmmm, forgot, i think Honda atc's were still air cooled...
so like the early 80's

class5cole

Reaction
hey, dont look at me, haven't been there since......hmmm, forgot, i think Honda atc's were still air cooled...^, wtf! , comp. hill is closed??, when did That happen?, that was the best part of showing up friday night after a long work week, and driving by throwing out emptys......better shut up..
Closed on Holiday weekends*

jon coleman

Reaction
Glamis was way more fun in (insert the year you were young and stupid too) before all the idiots came out.
yes, the older group of stupid drunk idiots( me), were Much safer, you see, We knew there were No blm rangers there to babysit us, & if you saw Any kind of authorities out there, it was usually a really bad crash or somthing similar, aaa, good ole days at Glamis,

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Since surfing and OC did pop up you guys should know that there’s a great white birthing ground between t street and lowers. There has gotta be At least 150 mama great white Sharks that have all given birth. They're super protective of their babies and the food supply has gotten really low in this area for them. Just passing along some info. Stay safe out there.

Class10DAN

Reaction
i was just at T street and i didnt hear much about sharks, i heard about them being near the wedge, help is help tho and i appreciate it

Class10DAN

Reaction
I know they are not cheap, I wrote a check for my 17 xp4 1000 For 22 grand and put a I cant say a small fortune but a large one in it then the next year I drove my friends xp turbo, the next day I bought one for 25 G and did the same thing to it long travel the whole 9 yards to where it could be raced if I chose to then bought a RS1 and have done a lot to it. Must say the Rs1 is the best dune machine I have found easily keeping with turbo cars threw the dunes. I am amazed at how much people put into them and they are everywhere from stock to crazy modded cars now I have a RG car on order, crazy
you see heres my issue, golf karts are actually really fun to just mess around in, but when it comes to racing id be more scared driving behing a idiot kart douche VS being behind a moto guy. because the last thing i would want is to be upside down in the silt because a sxs decided to stop in the middle of a race...

Jet mech

Reaction
you see heres my issue, golf karts are actually really fun to just mess around in, but when it comes to racing id be more scared driving behing a idiot kart douche VS being behind a moto guy. because the last thing i would want is to be upside down in the silt because a sxs decided to stop in the middle of a race...
Way would an SXS be more apt to stop than any other class?

Class10DAN

Reaction
Way would an SXS be more apt to stop than any other class?
because sometimes they can be real idiots, bear in mind I'm not talking about the whole class of sxs, but the few that are just dumb, we have a neighbor who has a sxs and we got into talking about Baja and he told me "the best thing to do in the sild is to go slow and possibly stop to let the dust settle" I giggled and corrected him but I'm sure there are a handful of people out there that genuinely think that