On Topic golf karts!!!

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
Since this is supposed is about UTV's and racing will make only a quick comment about UTV racing teams. UTV class has helped greatly to bring people to the sport and their youth programs are great at growing the next generation. I enjoy watching them and also appreciate how easy it is to roll them back over. As part of a team that provides Medical and pit assistance for various racing orgs I have interacted with several UTV teams. The main issue I have had is from pit crews and teams. There has been times when teams are directed as to where pits stop and end and also have been asked to not park chase vehicles in the dry brush. I have never has a problem with PRO UTV teams, however some of the other classes have shown disrespect toward pit officials. I have been cursed at for asking people to park within the pit start and pit end signs had them go down the race course to leave a pit when there was plenty of room to back out and go how they came in. Asked them to not drive and park outside pit area on dry brush only to be told to eff off. asked them to back in and not park parallel to course to give other teams room and told that they are the reason there is even a car count and they park how they want. The disrespect for staff and other racers as well as cleaning up after themselves is my issue. Granted it is not always just UTV racers and crews but as of late they have been the most difficult to cooperate with. Thankfully the Orgs we work with have been great and have worked on having them understand it is always best to obey race officials.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
I agree with this a far as the teams in the pits. We had a situation this last weekend in baja where a team came in and set up right next to our pit and then stopped their car in front of our pit mat with our truck 5-10 seconds behind them making our truck have to drive around them to get in the pit. We were there 2 hours early and I personally told them our truck was close. The set up anyway...

Tube ride

Reaction
What exactly do you think Colton Udall was referring to when he said utv is ruining MC racing?

cjohnson

Reaction
I agree with this a far as the teams in the pits. We had a situation this last weekend in baja where a team came in and set up right next to our pit and then stopped their car in front of our pit mat with our truck 5-10 seconds behind them making our truck have to drive around them to get in the pit. We were there 2 hours early and I personally told them our truck was close. The set up anyway...
There was a brouhaha last year about UTVs and racing etiquette and the basic consensus was that we are racing and all is fair. IE if that spot of desert before your pit is open and it's a good spot for them to pit their UTV it's fair game. I was in the minority in that argument BTW.

ht racing

Reaction
building a race car from scratch no matter if you have one built or do it yourself means you are in it because your serious. get a utv from a dealer and bolt on some mods and be a pro in one day. that's the problem. we have repaired so many that went 200 ft and rolled on a brand new unit.

Jet mech

Reaction
building a race car from scratch no matter if you have one built or do it yourself means you are in it because your serious. get a utv from a dealer and bolt on some mods and be a pro in one day. that's the problem. we have repaired so many that went 200 ft and rolled on a brand new unit.

So if I purchase a used class 10 car I am not serious racer??
There are a lot of serious racers is the SXS classes!!

Rslhc

Reaction
What exactly do you think Colton Udall was referring to when he said utv is ruining MC racing?
I inferred two things:

- Destructive nature of UTVs on terrain vs MC’s, making the racing courses that much more crappy
- Growth of UTV market causing SCORE to focus efforts on building great 4 wheel races with MCs as the afterthought.

could be wrong on both counts. But that’s what I took from that, and what I see myself also. Hence my observational bias with his comment.

Rslhc

Reaction
Biggest "get off my lawn" thread in a while.
I agree. And as someone who has contributed to this attitude it does make me wonder why.

Because as many have listed here, there are a lot of great attributes to the UTV scene. From both competitive aspects to practical aspects, like having one vehicle that your whole family can enjoy the desert in.

I think it boils down to a couple things that we in the desert community need to figure out to find a long term sustainable position in.

1. Environmental effects
No one here is saying that a UTV tears stuff up more than a buggy or a TT. But it’s a matter of quantity with the level of decay and issues they cause on terrain. As an MC guy living in Havasu, this is a real issue as there are now areas of our desert that are unrideable due to the Rzr-chop or whatever your circle calls it. As well, many small or even single-line trails are being widened and beat up from UTV use.

I don’t know what the answer is to this one, as more HP and more suspension capabilities and more popularity will make this worse. But the combination of factors here is making a big problem. We are seeing areas stateside and even ranchers in Baja closing areas because of the abuse that UTVs are bringing to the terrain.

2.Culture Issues
Read through the comments and so much frustration is from the bad apples in the UTV crowd that bring the disrespectful, destructive, or dangerous attitudes into racing or recreating. This is hard because this is nothing new. I think about the quad community back in the day. Or even the FMX reputation before it became what it is today.

But the rapid influx of people into the off-road community via the UTV market has for sure introduced a LOT of bad apples.

I think the only possible answer here is education and more intentionality from manufacturers, 3rd party brands, and local organizations/dealers. I don’t think that all the bad apples are complete jerks, but that most of them are just uninformed on how to care for riding areas, how to promote safety in the desert, and how to keep this sport around for future generations.

I do think it’s possible to keep moving forward without making UTVs the demon in the room, but I really think that for the sustainability of our sport and hobby, there need to be real conversations about preserving riding areas with the new reality of UTV traffic and also on educating new UTV owners better

Tube ride

Reaction
Great answer! And if any of that education or resource management slows down the sales or cost the manufacturer e tra money it won’t happen . Not until it affects their bottom line.

fastfelix

Reaction
ok, what im mainly seeing on this thread is a nuclear meltdown 😂... all in all UTV's Might be good for the racing scene because it gives race promoters money, but not good to race against (so it seems) but here's the thing, something can only last XX amount of time before it dies off, so when UTVS die off like classes usually do, wtf are people gonna turn to? class 11..
Class11 is where it’s at!!!!

DG_BTI

Reaction
I cant speak for Colton, but as a bike rider/racer I can agree 100%. Our local desert has been changed dramatically in many areas, mainly sandy roads. UTV's cause a wash board type terrain change due to their belt drive. The chop is so bad on so many roads it just sucks on a bike. I curse the crap out of UTV's constantly these days. If you ride a bike you know what I mean, its frustrating. Not to mention these guys are just swarming around with zero clue to think about on coming traffic. Not only that, northern Baja roads now have gates and pissed of ranchers. Why, well a big part of it are the clowns in utv's that have zero respect for their land. They show up at the border, dozens in some cases, and its game on all the way to Mikes. This is not an opinion, its a fact. Ranchers have blocked us many times, on bikes, and pointed us back. They are over it. Goons destroying their property, throwing out trash and beer cans. The only cool thing is one new gate we rolled up on. It had a small opening to the side for bikes. So, my guess is this is the kind of stuff Colton is referring too. Not necessarily the UTV racers, just the recreational ones. Oh, and I had a utv and raced one. I since have sold it and will stay on my bike.

DG_BTI

Reaction
This is a new one to me. How is that exactly?
Was wondering the same thing. Lol. The poop people come up with...
"the poop people come up with?" You obviously have zero point zero off road experience. All credibility out the window in one statement. Not even worth explaining to you as you don't understand "poop" WAJ. Been around the sport for decades and have racked up plenty of wins on a moto bike. So I have just a little knowledge. But thanks for the comment.

For those who actually are asking, its a "chop" in the sand, dirt. A wash board reaction to the pulses in the cvt. Its real, and it sucks on a bike. Remember, Colton said utvs ruining it for "bikes", so that is what I responded to.

MTPyle

Reaction
Interesting theory. I know the chatter bumps all too well. I knew it was from UTV's but did not know why. This does make sense.

So really its the CVT we hate, LOL

Mike

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
You obviously have zero point zero off road experience.
Yeah, I've never raced before and definitely not a full season, and definitely didn't win the championship in our class.

Anyways. Chatter bumps have always been a thing in the desert, even prior to UTV's. I get your desire to pin it on a scapegoat but chatter bumps will and have existed without UTV's.