• Forum membership has its advantages....

GOOD, BAD AND UGLY ABOUT NORRA M1K 2019

CHINOLAS

Now that the Happiest Race on Earth is in the books, please feel free to let me know how we can improve and make this a better event for all of you guys.

New ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

mgobaja

This was my first year racing in the event. Had an absolute blast. Seemed to be well organized. Instead of the overnight in Bahia De Los Angeles, would it be possible to have that nights stop be in Guerrero Negro or Constitution, where there are more resources available possibly ? So possibly add some miles on day 2 to accomplish this ? Or with Fewer bike teams, have them over night in Bay of LA instead possibly ?

CHINOLAS

This was my first year racing in the event. Had an absolute blast. Seemed to be well organized. Instead of the overnight in Bahia De Los Angeles, would it be possible to have that nights stop be in Guerrero Negro or Constitution, where there are more resources available possibly ? So possibly add some miles on day 2 to accomplish this ? Or with Fewer bike teams, have them over night in Bay of LA instead possibly ?
Never thought about that, invert the overnight, motos to Bola and cars to Guerrero Negro or Vizcaino or San Ignacio on day 2, that could be a cool thing to do for 2020.

mgobaja

Never thought about that, invert the overnight, motos to Bola and cars to Guerrero Negro or Vizcaino or San Ignacio on day 2, that could be a cool thing to do for 2020.
My main reason being is there has been far more car entries, with typically larger crews as well. So more lodging, auto parts stores , repair shops would all be a huge benefit.

TRAVISD

Eliseo, the event was great. For me the biggest issue we had to deal with was the faster cars starting behind us. Very few of them gave us respect and roosted us when passing. Most of them when passing would go by and immeditalety stand on the gas throwing rocks at us, 3 of them broke our windshield. This was manily at Day 3 leaving Bay of LA. I am not sure what the answer to this would be, except to start the cars back in order. I will say Pat Dean in his car was very respectful when he had to pass us, by slowing excelerating away from us. He knew he was down on time and no reason to roost us.

luvbaja2

Eliseo, great job by all in general again. My 10th year participating. First year on a motorcycle, #67 1993 Honda XR 600, 1st in class. I want to thank you in particular for all your hard work and great communication. I was amazed by how early we got in each day compared to when we run our car (#4 , 1976 Funco "Staggered Tandem") We finally got to participate in the daily food/drink parties. So any way to have the cars start earlier would be a benefit (to us slower cars) next year. I understand the bike vs car safety issue. We look forward to the NORRA Mexican 500 in Oct. Bruce Galien, FireForceRacing

y2kbaja

Online coverage was great. I was able to watch at work for over 8 hours each day with no break in coverage. Got me thinking about next year...I hope i'm there not here.

volks 73

Eliseo, the event was great. For me the biggest issue we had to deal with was the faster cars starting behind us. Very few of them gave us respect and roosted us when passing. Most of them when passing would go by and immeditalety stand on the gas throwing rocks at us, 3 of them broke our windshield. This was manily at Day 3 leaving Bay of LA. I am not sure what the answer to this would be, except to start the cars back in order. I will say Pat Dean in his car was very respectful when he had to pass us, by slowing excelerating away from us. He knew he was down on time and no reason to roost us.
What about starting everyone 1 minute apart, 30 seconds is not a lot of time between mixed classes of cars . The time added to start everyone doesn't seem like a deal breaker.
Its my understanding that when cars miss their start time they get mixed into the start line shortening the gap between cars.

Zambo

Eliseo, the fact that you created this thread is one of the reasons the race is great. Thanks for seeking input and listening to the racers.

I thought the Stella worked well enough. Online tracking seemed to be pretty good although we had to manually refresh a lot. I hope we use it again next year mainly so I don't have to change anything. Dealing with a different tracker every year is tedious. I like that it has an odometer built in to it. It would be nice if we could somehow show up with an online class completion rather than have to send the whole team into that classroom.

Mark Stahl was circulating a petition to give some weight to NORRA veterans when it comes to BOLA hotel rooms. I signed it because I think that those of us who have raced this race for many years should be given priority over first timers. Especially when a computer glitch at signup can cost you big time. At least I was able to be online when registration opened, but as an airline pilot I could be in the middle of a 6 hour flight and not be able to sign up in time to get a room.

The party tent in BOLA is a good idea, but I have to say that most of the other parties aren't something I think we really need to spend time organizing and paying for. For example, at the Mission Hotel in Loreto, if we just told them to be ready for a ton of visitors that night, I think it would be just as good of a party if people just paid for whatever they want out of their pocket. Just announce where the party is going to be and the racers will take care of showing up and partying. Seems like a lot of effort for little return, especially since the majority of teams probably don't have time in the middle of the race to actually party.

I didn't go to the main after-party this year because frankly they have been too painful in the past. Maybe this year is different but I think a party should be a party, not the offroad version of the Oscars award show. Setting up round tables on the sand looks nice but isn't conducive to mingling and partying. Maybe we could move the "party" back to Thursday night after the race and have an awards ceremony on Friday morning. Anyway, just some ideas, like I said I was over halfway home while the party was going on this year so maybe it was different. I do know that every year, a big part of our entry fee goes toward these functions and we rarely get a chance to take part in them. The guys who have enough money to pay other people to prep their cars don't need to have their fun financed by the teams who are too busy working and transporting their stuff around to attend.

I know you guys don't want people prerunning, but its really important for us to have a better plan for pitting with Mag7. These stock UTVs only go a short way when you're on the pipe and its not enough just to have mileage from gas station x to pit y. We have to know where these things are physically going to be so we can look at chase and pit opportunities before the race. I think there is much to cover WRT Stock UTV and Mag7 but that's probably its own separate thread.

One final idea/thought before I end this long post.....is it possible on a day like the start in LaPaz to simply not do the first transit section, and just stage the vehicles at the start of the first special? Seems like a lot of effort to get everybody racked and stacked, just to drive down the highway to the real start of the race.

Again, thanks for everything, the stuff above is nit picking what is always a great race and this year was no exception. Hasta la vista!

TRAVISD

What about starting everyone 1 minute apart, 30 seconds is not a lot of time between mixed classes of cars . The time added to start everyone doesn't seem like a deal breaker.
Its my understanding that when cars miss their start time they get mixed into the start line shortening the gap between cars.

That will just delay the pass. Some of the real "vintage" cars dont stand a chance in HP against a class one car or any EVO car or truck. Each day I would see who was starting right behind me and if I knew they would blow by me I would go talk to them and tell them once I saw them I would let them by, but just dont roost me. The biggest issue is getting the EVO or Prerunner class drivers to understand that if they are starting behind us they are slower than us and to have some respect. But they all think they can catch up and win the race and we are just in their way.

Fourstroker

Eliseo, the fact that you created this thread is one of the reasons the race is great. Thanks for seeking input and listening to the racers.

I thought the Stella worked well enough. Online tracking seemed to be pretty good although we had to manually refresh a lot. I hope we use it again next year mainly so I don't have to change anything. Dealing with a different tracker every year is tedious. I like that it has an odometer built in to it. It would be nice if we could somehow show up with an online class completion rather than have to send the whole team into that classroom.

Mark Stahl was circulating a petition to give some weight to NORRA veterans when it comes to BOLA hotel rooms. I signed it because I think that those of us who have raced this race for many years should be given priority over first timers. Especially when a computer glitch at signup can cost you big time. At least I was able to be online when registration opened, but as an airline pilot I could be in the middle of a 6 hour flight and not be able to sign up in time to get a room.

The party tent in BOLA is a good idea, but I have to say that most of the other parties aren't something I think we really need to spend time organizing and paying for. For example, at the Mission Hotel in Loreto, if we just told them to be ready for a ton of visitors that night, I think it would be just as good of a party if people just paid for whatever they want out of their pocket. Just announce where the party is going to be and the racers will take care of showing up and partying. Seems like a lot of effort for little return, especially since the majority of teams probably don't have time in the middle of the race to actually party.

I didn't go to the main after-party this year because frankly they have been too painful in the past. Maybe this year is different but I think a party should be a party, not the offroad version of the Oscars award show. Setting up round tables on the sand looks nice but isn't conducive to mingling and partying. Maybe we could move the "party" back to Thursday night after the race and have an awards ceremony on Friday morning. Anyway, just some ideas, like I said I was over halfway home while the party was going on this year so maybe it was different. I do know that every year, a big part of our entry fee goes toward these functions and we rarely get a chance to take part in them. The guys who have enough money to pay other people to prep their cars don't need to have their fun financed by the teams who are too busy working and transporting their stuff around to attend.

I know you guys don't want people prerunning, but its really important for us to have a better plan for pitting with Mag7. These stock UTVs only go a short way when you're on the pipe and its not enough just to have mileage from gas station x to pit y. We have to know where these things are physically going to be so we can look at chase and pit opportunities before the race. I think there is much to cover WRT Stock UTV and Mag7 but that's probably its own separate thread.

One final idea/thought before I end this long post.....is it possible on a day like the start in LaPaz to simply not do the first transit section, and just stage the vehicles at the start of the first special? Seems like a lot of effort to get everybody racked and stacked, just to drive down the highway to the real start of the race.

Again, thanks for everything, the stuff above is nit picking what is always a great race and this year was no exception. Hasta la vista!
All great ideas. Wish I got a chance to talk and meet you. Saw your car twice. Once I was about to start an engine replacement in BOLA. And the 2nd time you were on the side of the course and waved me by on day 5. Maybe next time

TrophyBurro

First time racing this event and it has been on my radar for many years. I say it beat all my expectations. The event was so well organized. Very impressive all around. My only issue was the stella was not showing us cars parked on course till we were on top of them. Maybe just a setting? We did have some one look at our unit and it worked better after that!!

mgobaja

Agree, I chased you in #543 for MILES, just couldnt catch you. But on day 3 as you mentioned we had LOTS of fast cars start behind us, pass then we would catch them shortly after they were parked in ditches or broken. I bet you and I passed 30 cars in the first 100 miles of day 3.

BajaTriumph

Elisio
Having attended and participated in many event/races, your M1K is by far the most Fun!
Each year is better and because you openly listen and desire feed-back only makes your efforts successful. I founded and directed the largest (10k+) motorcycle event in Mexico, the Rocky Point Rally, 18years in Sonora and truly understand to massive magnitude of your accomplishments. I have ideas as a participant with truly vintage race cars and will get back to you all. After I reset my brains ‘Check Engine Light/Limp Mode’ when we get back to AZ. Gracias Amigo

bajabird

My friend, we need to talk about the 5 hour wait for a room in bay of LA. Thank you for the drink tickets while we waited.

I also want to talk to you about the incident with trucks #2 and #1818

We can do that online, or in private.
The damage to my car is bad and should be corrected; Along with NORRA procedures for engagement of clean passing.

Chase2005

Eliseo, kuddos to you and the entire NORRA crew for another great race. Despite ours being cut short again for mechanical reasons, it really seems as though you work hard to make improvements each year. GREAT JOB!

Zambo

My friend, we need to talk about the 5 hour wait for a room in bay of LA. Thank you for the drink tickets while we waited.

I also want to talk to you about the incident with trucks #2 and #1818

We can do that online, or in private.
The damage to my car is bad and should be corrected; Along with NORRA procedures for engagement of clean passing.
I had a really nice view of #2's rear bumper for about 30 straight miles.

jon coleman

one suggestion, i was involved a little bit in vintage road racing, laguna seca, no. island, ect, one way to ' calm ' the drivers down was a threat of being banned till A fter next year, ussualy a driver would be pointed out by fellow drivers and watched Closley.if a guy is getting a rep.sit him down and say one more complaint , your 'sat out' next year, that straightens up most bad habbits, especially if a certain race is Very popular.yup, i had a guy at parker go Way over to kiss my windshield on a pass in shea road wash, sssuks

volks 73

Eliseo
Great race your team does an outstanding job.
I have to agree with TravisD although I'm not sure what the answer is either. Start the cars back in starting order or add more time to the start intervals 45/60 seconds. If in fact cars get moved in when they miss there start maybe just make them have a rear start to allow the 30 seconds between cars to remain. Zambo makes a lot of great points some of which my team talked about before the race during and on our way home. I say have the party tent and food in BOLA. No party in San Felipe, Loreto or La Paz. I think the party in Cabo should be the same day/night of the finish. Do it at the finish line, don't cater it just have food vendors and drinks that can be purchased. Finishing this race is an accomplishment that's the day to celebrate everyone's energy is high. It seems like this could lower the cost of entry. If things remain as is with the party the night after the finish we most likely will start our trip home the morning after we finish and skip the party. I wouldn't mind skipping San Felipe, how about going back to the Pacific side . If it's going to remain a 5 day race make the day 1 stop in San Quintin and day 2 in Gerro Negro or Vizcaino or BOLA.
Thanks for asking opinions i'm sure you will get a lot of them.