GOOD, BAD AND UGLY ABOUT NORRA M1K 2019

LantanaTX

Reaction
We got hit in 2017 on the morning stage out of Loreto. Some one who stopped for us said he thought it was a four seat car but wasn’t 100% sure. Sounds like it might have been the same jerk.

knotcher

Reaction
Late to this thread. Way late. 19 M1K was first rally, Baja, desert race on moto.

1. Need a rider's meeting. Not a driver's meeting. Have it EVERY race morning. Say the same stuff every day, just like other forms of moto racing. We're real dumb. You gotta drill it in.

2. Might consider a rule that riders are off bikes before fuel goes near it. I was doused in fuel before I had a chance to get out of the way. Super dangerous on a hot bike. Coming in hot for a splash we may need a second to collect ourselves before getting off the bike.

3. Leadnav in the ear is fine, but it isn't always correct. Unless you use an offboard high quality GPS it can be way off. Also, it seemed like all of the vados on day 2 were wrong so full trust is a no go.

4. THE ROADBOOK THE ROADBOOK THE ROADBOOK. That thing was deadnuts accurate. EVERY TIME. Also, I don't agree that it slows you down appreciably once you start vibing with it. I also think it helps keep attention up as there is always something to look for. Bite size chucks of focus.

5. Not sure I ever got the scoop on the move the 100 buggy pulled going around us when we had riders down on day 3. There were rocks that were close to turning a bad day into tragedy. Penalty system seems like a mystery.

6. I love the idea of a party that starts when the first bike finishes and goes into the small hours. Awards the next night. Maybe we just do that without NORRA setting it up.

7. I wouldn't say those of us that are running roadbooks are necessarily there for the adventure. If anything, I'd say that the people in cages with a person handling their nav for them are the tourists . . . I kid. :)

See you in Ensenada.

Zambo

Reaction
A little over 2 months out if my watch is correct....any updates on UTV pit support for this year? @CHINOLAS what can you tell us? Muchas Gracias in advance!

CHINOLAS

Reaction
A little over 2 months out if my watch is correct....any updates on UTV pit support for this year? @CHINOLAS what can you tell us? Muchas Gracias in advance!
Two Months from the next adventure, PIT support for Stock UTV´s Turbo and Non Turbo will be provided by Mag 7 as always but this year NORRA will install Tracking Equipment on each Pit and also MSAT Radios for Total Communication in the case one of them is out of their assigned location, all PITS will be verified by NORRA Ops and also this year we will install Stock UTV Fuel Splash Pits every 65 miles on long stages.

All Special Stages longer than 65 miles will have a Splash Pit for Stock UTV´s when no access or Highway crossing is available for Chase vehicles to refuel.

Currently, I am working on the course maps and will post mileage info next week.

Zambo

Reaction
Two Months from the next adventure, PIT support for Stock UTV´s Turbo and Non Turbo will be provided by Mag 7 as always but this year NORRA will install Tracking Equipment on each Pit and also MSAT Radios for Total Communication in the case one of them is out of their assigned location, all PITS will be verified by NORRA Ops and also this year we will install Stock UTV Fuel Splash Pits every 65 miles on long stages.

All Special Stages longer than 65 miles will have a Splash Pit for Stock UTV´s when no access or Highway crossing is available for Chase vehicles to refuel.

Currently, I am working on the course maps and will post mileage info next week.
Thanks Eliseo, can't wait to get back! Besides simply being in the right place I'll reiterate that having serviceable dump cans that are appropriate for the job would be a fantastic upgrade. When a pack of 4 Hunsaker dump cans, with hoses and everything, can be found for 200 bucks there isn't much reason to use ancient moto cans that pour slowly and leak all over the place, including the fueler and drivers.

CHINOLAS

Reaction
Thanks Eliseo, can't wait to get back! Besides simply being in the right place I'll reiterate that having serviceable dump cans that are appropriate for the job would be a fantastic upgrade. When a pack of 4 Hunsaker dump cans, with hoses and everything, can be found for 200 bucks there isn't much reason to use ancient moto cans that pour slowly and leak all over the place, including the fueler and drivers.
Will definitely talk to Mag 7 about this.

CHINOLAS

Reaction
Just out of curiousity, I don't suppose the moto course will have any singletrack or more technical sections :D?
We have a few options and have always asked what you guys want me to layout, we have time now to discuss, what do you guys think we should do for Bikes in 2021 ??

rustyb

Reaction
My opinion would be to not make it much more technical. A lot of people do it because it’s not SCORE and is doable for a non-racer type. I know I wouldn’t be able to ride 5 days straight if I were getting beat up every day. JMHO.

Unrelated, but I am jonesing bad for Baja and was looking at 1000 videos on YouTube and came upon a great on from Eliseo (CHINOLAS above). Loved the big NORRA sticker on the hood!

knotcher

Reaction
My brother and I were first timers last year, but really enjoyed almost all of the race course. Nothing I am asking about modifying is a result of something that wasn't already great.

Firstly, the things that we recalled as incredible.

• Day 2 stage 2 from just after Coco's to the end at hwy 12 (after Punta Prieta).
  • Day 2 stage 3. The end of this stage right next to the road, with the instructions to stay off the road. I do know that many people just jumped up on the road. That section needs some policing if used again :)
  • Day 3 from El Arco to the transfer. This section is some of the best motorcycle racing/riding I've ever had. 10/10. Even the dirt "super highway" that runs through Guillermo Prieto. Smoothest road in Baja.
  • Day 3 stage 2. Pretty much the entire thing.
  • Day 4 stage 2 felt like the safest place on the whole course (other than Laguna del Diablo) to just rip. Super fun.

These are just some observations that could make it even better, I think, for most riders.

• Not sure it is possible, but some long single track sections. It would enable using the bikes where they are really in their unique element where other vehicles can't go. It would really add to the sense of being "off grid", too. I know there's some good stuff down there, but not sure if it can work with your logistics. It would be incredible if it did.
  • More offroad miles without speed control getting our of San Felipe. Use the washes?
That's about it. You could tell me we were running the same course and we'd still show up. The only other thing I'd mention again is implement a rule that riders are off bikes for fueling.

edit - I get where Rusty is coming from and appreciate the difficulty in pleasing so many people. I would agree that if it was too rough, it would turn off some riders. I just think there is room for a little more difficulty, or even moderate single track.

An option you could borrow from the enduro type events is that certain classes would skip specific stages. Sounds like a logistical challenge.

Last edited:

drGarbinsky

Reaction
Knotcher's (faster) bother here,

For me the biggest issue with the setup was the lack of a 6th day. 😁

In actuality I want to second Knotcher's feedback. Great race, some single track would be cool. Fewer speed controlled miles on day 2 if possible.

knotcher

Reaction
Knotcher's (faster) bother here

*checks 2019 results*

1607125399077.jpeg

knotcher

Reaction
Norra typically has a truck or two follow the last bike to pick up any disabled motos/riders. With single track that backup would not be there.
Maybe that's fine, but something to consider.

You need a tow bike and a nylon strap. Like I said, it may not work out logistically.

overall, I’d be happy with some double track that was a bit more technical here and there.

jeff

Reaction
You need a tow bike and a nylon strap. Like I said, it may not work out logistically.

overall, I’d be happy with some double track that was a bit more technical here and there.
There's no shortage of ways to make a Baja race more difficult on the rider. If you want to make the NORRA more difficult for you and you alone there's plenty of opportunity to do that. ;)

The higher ups in NORRA have told me their # 1 goal is to make sure everyone gets to make it back home safe and sound after the race. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen and the addition of more technical sections (especially singletrack) make an already difficult job of rescuing riders that much harder. Towing a broken bike is one thing but towing a broken rider out on another bike with a Nylon strap isn't going to be any fun. Crashes happen and people die.

There are some sections that we do in 4-wheel vehicles that I drive through and think to myself it could be worse... I could be on my dirt bike right now.

Aloha

Last edited:

knotcher

Reaction
Single track crashes are nearly universally less damaging that balls-out dirt road crashes.

Technicality doesn’t have to be a function of risk.