Good daily driver/tow truck

singlehanded

Reaction
I have started to look around for another truck for my daily driver and tow my ranger around. I like the f-150's 97-newer and the sierras and silverado 99-newer 2wd and extra cab. Dont have the money to get a new one. Anybody have any recommendations or what I should steer clear of. Whats best for towing?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

martininsocal

Reaction
If you can afford it, I would go with a 92-96 F250 powerstroke extracab from ford. Still tough suspension and the benefits of a good diesel. Stay away from the 6,2 GMC diesels.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

singlehanded

Reaction
dont think I will get anything bigger than a 1/2 ton.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

YZFster

Reaction
get a powerstroke for sure...my dad tows a 33 foot trailer, said and done it weighs about 14000 pounds and it tows it like their is nothing there......didnt believe it until he let me drive it from laughlin...what a dream....

Go Big or stay there.

singlehanded

Reaction
not towing 14000 lbs sorry but just need to tow a 3500-5000 lb ranger. read my first post

YZFster

Reaction
i dont care about your first post......you asked for a good tow truck.....

Go Big or stay there.

yotatech

Reaction
I would say the chevy/gmc would be a good choice. The 5.3l has plenty of power to tow a ranger and its gets pretty good gas milage from what i recall.

Clifford

Reaction
AAA has a good tow truck.............................I would say stick with the Chevys. You'll get more bang for your buck. Better interior than any ford out there. My interior on my 01 S-10 is much nicer than my friends 01 F250. Sure, he can tow more with a V10 compared to my 4.3 but I only drag my Vw prerunner around. It's the same weight as a 5/1600.

hoeker

Reaction
either should be fine for what your towing, a diesel is nice, but i'd stay away from anything older than 99 in a diesel. on a tangent--- we towed my 26' tag 13,000lb race trailer about 10,000 miles last year with a 2000 f350 v-10. and while the truck was maxed out, it went fine. the v-10 is still plenty for that heavy of a trailer. if you only use it to tow occasionally, or not too long of trips, it works great.

back to the original question. a decent half ton will work fine for your ranger, just don't forget how much bigger tires and lift kits hurt towing capability. you may want to look for a 97 or newer light duty f250. they were the new f150 body style with a little more load capacity. still a 5.4 and the f-150 look, but a lot better tow truck. not sure exactly what year, but in 99 or so they started to sell them as a f150 7700lb capacity. i know a couple people who love these things for occasional towing of trailers up to about 10,000 lbs. they're kind of hard to find over here, just search the web for those years f250, or f150 7700. most people that own them know what they have. i think it'll be in your price range too.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I am selling this truck. 1998 Ford F-150 4x4, 5.4L, XLT. $12,500. It runs awesome. It has 126K miles on it but still runs like new. The only reason I am selling it is because I want 4 doors. These trucks run so good I would buy a used on with the same miles to save $$$$. Buy a 5.4 do not buy a 4.6, the 4.6L will not run as long. You can put 300K miles on the 5.4 and about 150K miles on a 4.6.
Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

dunerking

Reaction
I owned a 2000 f-250 Power Stroke and loved that truck,but like you said you don't need a truck that big,I would say that the Ford F-250 light duty truck would be your best bet,with the 5.4.My experience with the GMC/Chevy is that they are very plush inside,but they have always fallen apart on me.Like the Ford commerical says "built Ford tough".Take this info for what you want,just .02 cents,goodluck.

hit it hard

singlehanded

Reaction
I saw some 99 f250's in the trader in my price range. Is the v10 f250 a powerstroke? Might be summer before I get one, my ranger is fine to drive until I find the right one just looking for one will low miles and the style I want.

hoeker

Reaction
the v-10 is gas. the powerstroke is a v-8

the v-10 super duty f-250's are really pretty nice all around drivers. fuel economy isn't too bad, and they can handle a lot more trailer than a 1/2 ton. if i was going to tow for my racing i would have to get a one ton diesel, minimum. when i get a dedicated hauler, i will probly get a v-10 f250, just for towing around town, and occasional trips.

desertratt

Reaction
we picked up a 2000 f-250 4x pertty cheep. it pulls our 25' toy box no problem. its got the 5.4 motor in it. it getts about 15 miles per gallon reguar driving. we were using our dodge 1500 2x that i had the springs beefed up by deaver. it just sucked going up cajon pass though. way to slow. nothing like getting passed by a semi.

drive fast and take chances!!

YZFster

Reaction
whats wrong with a 97 powerstroke???????same as today>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Go Big or stay there.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Ford has a shade under 45% of the market share for trucks. They build something like 200K of their
V-8 engines a year. They have to be doing something right and like the old saying goes, there is safety in numbers.

The choice should be easy. Actually, I'm suprised there is even a debate over this subject!

See ya in the dirt!

singlehanded

Reaction
so if i get a f250 which would be better for towing and street driving the v8 or the v10?

hoeker

Reaction
the 97's don't have the power of the new ones, and are a lot noisier. not that there are problems with them, i just think it's worth the money to go newer.

as far as triton v-8 or triton v-10, i can only comment on the v-10 as i have never driven the 5.4, but i have no desire to. the 5.4 would probably be plenty for your ranger, but the v-10 barely handles what i need, so that's the smallest i'd consider. the v-10 drives plenty nice, milage is around 13 empty, about 10 with a small trailer, and about 8 maxed out. all of these are at about 75 mph

hope this helps

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
My daily driver is a 1995 Ford Lighting. It has a Vortec SC and a few other tricks. On 100 octane gas, it does 12 sec quarter miles with street tires. :)

I bought the truck for $12k with 42k miles on it in perfect condition. I have about another $4.5k in it.

I really like these trucks. IMHO, There are already, "true classics". Consider that only 2000 or so were made that year.

It has the big trans, rear end and brakes and could easily tow a ranger around.

Overall, it's a real blast to drive. Even before the SC, you could break the wheels loose between 2nd and 3rd at 80 MPH.

PJCinLV
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pjc on 03/02/03 08:57 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

desertracer

Reaction
The 5.4 has decent power, we have been towing to the races for a few years with a 4x expedition that has the 5.4. It does all right with the 24' enclosed behind it, 55 up cajon. Did tow it once with a f-250 v-10 and it did better but not as much as I thought. Luckly a few friends just got new trucks, 2500HD chevy with 8.1/ allison and a f-350 dually psd, so we should be set for towing. The 5.4 should be fine for what you need.

MDR #112