Good daily driver/tow truck

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I am selling this truck. 1998 Ford F-150 4x4, 5.4L, XLT. $12,500. It runs awesome. It has 126K miles on it but still runs like new.

<hr></blockquote>

Jerry, have you had any problems with the coachwork on the truck? Stuff like interior trim, power window issues, etc ?

My wife has a 1999 Expedition Sport with the 5.4 and all the upgrades. It only has 40k miles on it and we'd like to keep it 'till 80-100k.

PJCinLV

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
PJC,

Is yours the Camburg lightning that was all done up by them or is it still stock suspension?

See ya in the dirt!

shrek

Reaction
Jerry--Why do you think that the reliability is not there with the 4.6?? Have you had some bad experiences, or is there a test out there somewhere??The only difference in the 5.4 and the 4.6 engines is the stroke and the computer. Everything else is the same, in fact if you put them side by side, same years, without the badging on the top of the engine you would not be able to tell them apart. My company only buys the 4.6 engine in all of our F-150's and we have hundreds of them. At least on the west coast I have never heard of any engine failures??? We only run them to about 100K, though and then sell them.

I tow our race truck and trailer with my F-150 4X4 and they weigh about 7-8 thousand pounds, with about 1000 in the bed and it is pretty rough going up Cajon, but the truck has 90K on it and it is still running strong. There is no doubt that the 5.4 is a stronger engine, but if you can find a good used 4.6 for a good deal then I think it would be a good truck to tow a ranger with.

Stick with ford, support those who support desert racing.......................................not to mention it is the best truck that you can buy. ha ha

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
PJC,
The truck is just about perfect. The only problem in the inside is about 1" of the piping is worn. It would cost $50 to fix it. Other than that no problems.
As for the 4.6 vrs the 5.4. A freind of mine has an automotive shop and serices 100 ford vans. He says that the 5.4's go 300K mi with oil changes and spark plugs. The 4.6 goes around 150K and they need a new motor. He says the motors are not the same. Weaker crank in the 4.6. I have owned the same truck f-150 4x4 but with a 4.6 and the 5.4 is way stronger.

dunerking

Reaction
Not quite the same,the first generation power strokes did not come with the intercooler as well as a few other things.I personally would stick with a f-250.The payload difference between the 250 and the 350 are only 500lbs.But going with a 350 the problem for me is that in the eyes of the DMV they are true commerical vehicles which means that the registration will never lower,and for the extra 500lbs payload is not worth it.Iwould get a f-250 and put air-bags on the back,making it like a f-450 with 40lbs in the bags.Take this info for what is.I just sold my 2000 f-250 crew cab power stroke for $25,000 .

hit it hard

J_Dog

Reaction
Singlehanded,
Just for reference, I have a '97 Dodge 1500 (1/2 ton) with a 5.9 V-8 that my buddy and I tow our Class 7s Ranger with on a 16' Carson flatbed trailer. I will be buying a F-250 or F-350 diesel this summer, though. The Dodge tows fairly well, but what you need to remember is that you will want to load other items in the bed (more weight to tow), etc. My Dodge is almost to the bumpstops when we tow the race truck, and we try to limit what we put in the bed and my buddy drives his truck with most of the spare parts and tools in it. 1/2 ton trucks are vey limited for towing. Some might say to load the race truck a little farther back on the trailer to take the weight off the tongue, but if you do this the trailer doesn't track behind the truck very well (tends to swerve back and forth a lot). Just my $.02 to you. I would buy at least a 3/4 ton light-duty if you want a good dialy driver / towing compromise.

Jeff Matlock
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

martininsocal

Reaction
In that sense, I have towed my old 7s Toyota 4x with my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2. never had any problems with the weight, just getting the tongue weight right. I know folks who tow with half tons all the time, just make sure you have the tongue weight right. One buddy pulls over 6k with a half ton Ford van with a 351W (5,8 liter for you young guys!) and has no problems. This is up and down the hill from Big Bear. I would still go with the square cab 250 with a power stroke.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

dunerking

Reaction
If are going to run a 1/2 ton Eazlift makes a torsion bar and swar bar hook-up,makes things much safer to tow with at speed.

hit it hard

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Is yours the Camburg lightning that was all done up by them or is it still stock suspension?

<hr></blockquote>

The suspension is all tock with the exception fo Edlebrock shocks.

PJCinLV