Good Digital Camera for Racing Pics

57Racer

Reaction
The wife and I have been wanting a decent camera for awhile now. She wants to take everyday pictures and I want to use it for taking good racing pictures. I know there are quite a few amateur and professional photographers on here because of amazing new pics I see go up everyday. So here is my question.

We are on a budget for the camera (1000 bucks or less) so what kind of options do we have?
I just would like to be able to change out lenses for those really awesome zoom shots, and be able to take some nice clean shots of trucks and bikes racing by.

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

LukeHuff

Reaction
i'd go with my camera. It is kind of a combination of a SLR ( the ones with the interchangeable lenses) and a point and shoot (simple camera just point and shoot). I have a Panasonic DMC FZ-18. Its a few hundred dollars but worth the money! It has an 18x zoom and many different shooting styles, from auto to sports, night, nature, people, indoor, outdoor. I really love the zoom though. I use it when I travel the world and to photograph my friends in sports like racing and wakeboarding. The pictures turn out great and are a really good quality. I'd recommend this camera because its small, light, affordable, and a beast. Hope this helped!
Lucas

cancinoj

Reaction
go for the nikon d60, 10mp 3 frames per second, thats an awsome camera, buy the body only and a 18-200mm so you will not need to interchange lenses, or if you want or can spend a little more, buy the NIKON D90 with HD VIDEO, i want that one for christmas, good luck,.

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
The 18-200 is a good travel lens but its expensive and they hate dirt. 2 races and it will probably need to go back to the factory for repair.

D40
D60
D80
D90

All good choices.

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
Reaction
all the cameras said above are good, i personally have a Nikon D5000 right now and it works okay

57Racer

Reaction
Nikon seems to be in the majority, something special about it over Canon?
KARTMAN, do you recommend a particular lense?

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
i <3 nikon
anyone have 5k so i can buy the Nikon D3

tomahawkracefab

Reaction
Nikon SLR here , buy the fastest ( lowest F: / aperture ) zoom lens you can afford ! they're best for high speed action ( ie, fast shutter speeds ) SLR's are best for upgrading/inter-changable lenses/bodies , enjoy your purchase!:cool:

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
Just as long as its a Nikon. LOL

DO NOT get the 18-200- it does not like dirt. Had one for a month and that was as long as it lasted. I never made it past it's third race.

mattb

Reaction
If I'm not mistaken, the D40 will not work with all lenses (make sure you do your homework). Also- I just got an 18-200 a couple of weeks ago. It is an awesome lens that is extremely diverse, but I can see how it'd had the dirt. All in all, if you're looking for a killer lens, I'd get it, just be cautious about taking it to the desert. Or, just be sure to go get some equipment that you're willing to sacrifice in the desert. If you're wife's in to the camera, she'll be pissed to see how dirty that thing will get out there.

Tipracer

Reaction
If you are going to go with a dslr most people choose either the canons or the nikons(bodies), it is a personal preference...The lenses are what really cost money....this brings up a great question...to all the pro photo guys... In your experience which lens would you prefer to have on your camera at all times....I know that the 18-200 is a fantastic lens(great all around) but it hates dirt...what is the most dirt resistant lens that you use or know of...I have searched The DPreview site and can not find much in the way of advice on this...

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I personally shoot on Canon cameras and lenses and have done so since I started shooting some 30 years ago! The Canon vs. Nikon thing in cameras is much like the Ford vs Chevy thing in motorsports. In general it is what you were raised on and learned to shoot on. I really like my Canon 40D and have run MANY MANY thousands of shots through its processor (I generally will shoot between 2,000 to 5,000 shots a weekend at most events and sometimes I shoot a lot more than that).

From what I have seen, you get more bang for the buck with the Canon product. Some have said that some of the Nikon cameras are better sealed against the elements. I have shot with my Canons in and around dirt, dust, mud and rain with no problems! I also can shoot several thousand shots on the same battery with my 40D. In fact as I type this I am downloading 2279 shots off a 16 GB card that was not full and have another full 16 GB card to download that probably has over 3000 shots on it and I am still using the same battery that I shot them with. I was shooting at the XRRA Eastern Division Final on Sunday and you cant beat my 6.3 frames per second shooting capability for fast pased action sports!

I am looking into purchasing another camera soon (so that my son will be able to shoot with me at events) and it will definately be another Canon probably either another 40D (or if we pick up a used camera we may even go with a 30D to help save money) or we might bite the bullet and go ahead and step up to the 50D. I would love to go to the full-frame sensor 5D Mark II but it is out of our price range for now and it is also a little slower than the 30, 40 or 50D for the action shots that we are always taking!

If you have any other Canon questions feel free to ask and I'll help as much as I can. Costco sometimes has great kit prices in some of the stores and A LOT of the time they have great packages and deals online at www.costco.com that are cheaper than most anywhere else by $100-200 so shop around and do your research. You'll be happy with whatever you get. You may also want to consider purchasing at Best Buy and getting the extended warranty. www.cameraworld.com also has pretty good prices and no sales tax and free shipping on most items!

Have fun!!!

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Speaking of costco.com here are two deals that are great packages that are well under your price cap...

Nikon D60 and lenses for $699.99 (but it only has 3 AF focus zones...)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10604-Cat83&topnav=

Canon Rebel XS and lenses for 699.99 (with 7 AF focus zones...)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10604-Cat83&topnav=

Both of those cameras have 2.5-inch LCD screens and shoot up to 3 frames per second. Both kits come with an 18-55 lens and a zoom lens. The Canon kit comes with a larger zoom lens at 300 mm vs. 200 mm with the Nikon Kit but the Nikon lenses do not have a hole in coverage with an 18-55 and 55-200. The Auto Focus on the Canon seems to be better equipped to handle subjects that are not perfectly centered in the shot... and in shooting action and off-road racing being able to focus well on the largest portion of the image possible is a good thing!

To step up further they have packages with the Nikon D5000 at $999.99... with more resolution 12.3 MP, larger LCD (2.7-inch), much better focusing (11-point), faster at 4 frames per second and a good kit!

Or the Canon Rebel XSi at $929.99 with 12.2 MP, 3-inch LCD, live view capability, 9-point AF, 3.5 fps, longer zoom...

Like I said earlier, do your homework and have fun!!!

By the way my second card had 2,884 images on it so I shot 5,163 images in 1 day on one battery at the XRRA rock race this weekend!:eek: Its a blast!!!:D

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
If you are going to go with a dslr most people choose either the canons or the nikons(bodies), it is a personal preference...The lenses are what really cost money....this brings up a great question...to all the pro photo guys... In your experience which lens would you prefer to have on your camera at all times....I know that the 18-200 is a fantastic lens(great all around) but it hates dirt...what is the most dirt resistant lens that you use or know of...I have searched The DPreview site and can not find much in the way of advice on this...
Good sealed glass is often well over $1000. I would probably go with a 18-55 kit lens (non VR0 and a 70-300 (non VR) with a D90. The 90 is part of the gen of nikon stuff with amazing in camera color control, high ISO and faster focus. Canon makes a great product they are lagging behind on high ISO and in camera color currently.

57Racer

Reaction
This is all really good info, Thanks a ton guys. A lot to consider.

Tipracer

Reaction
why not use the Vr stuff with the nikon???I know the stuff is expensive. but not using the technology has me scratching my head...begs the question of all the lenses out there what would you recommend???

57Racer

Reaction
Another question came up...what type of memory card would you reccomend? Is it really just the more money I spend the better, or is there a point where it gets a little ridiculous and "X" will be fine. Im thinking of the Nikon D60 if that helps.

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
Tip. Non VR for a couple reasons. On a wide 18-55 its useless, just a marketing gimmick to get people to spend more. The 70-300 VR is fragile and dies in the dirt, the Non VR is more durable. I have a few VR lens and always turn it off as it slows down focus.

57. Faster read write speeds are better, I prefer 4GB 300x cards from Transcend. I would not buy Lexar or Sandisk big namebrand stuff, just overpriced. Check newegg.com for good deals on transcend. Size it up to you.

57Racer

Reaction
Tip. Non VR for a couple reasons. On a wide 18-55 its useless, just a marketing gimmick to get people to spend more. The 70-300 VR is fragile and dies in the dirt, the Non VR is more durable. I have a few VR lens and always turn it off as it slows down focus.

57. Faster read write speeds are better, I prefer 4GB 300x cards from Transcend. I would not buy Lexar or Sandisk big namebrand stuff, just overpriced. Check newegg.com for good deals on transcend. Size it up to you.
Ok cool, well I adopted a new D60 from Best Buy, 600 got me the body, 18-55, and 55-200 lense. I should have checked back on the forum before I left though because I bought a Sandisk 16GB 15mb/s card for 60.

Thanks a ton for all your help everyone! I am having blast screwing around with it. I just need 1 more favor, can you guys race continuously around my house while I figure out the best settings? Hope to see some of you at Snowflake first week of Sept.