GOOD LED Flashlights

steveG

Reaction
So I decided I had to have a Surefire light. I've been wanting one for years, but they were always out of my price range. A few days ago I finally dropped the coin on a 6P LED (entry level, I know). I was expecting to be impressed in every way and for it to put the Inova XO to shame. But the truth is it just made me appreciate the Inova even more. At less than half the retail price, I think the Inova is a better light (for me). According to Inova, the XO puts out 65 Lumen max. The Surefire puts out 80 but doesn't seem as bright. Maybe because of the different style reflectors?

So far the most notable advantage I can see with the Surefire is the fact that it fits much better in a "combat-style" fist. The only problem is, I can hardly remember the last time I needed to smash someone's face in... LOL. Oh well, it's still a cool light. Maybe I'll change my mind after using it more?

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction

Triple B

Reaction
Hey Guys,
Target has the River Rock K2 LED headlight on sale right now for $25.00
It is really bright spot beam and works great for setting up camp at night or working on you race car / prerunner.
85 lumens on high

steveG

Reaction
I bought my Inova at Target. Like I said. I love it. If you're willing to drop $40.00 on a flashlight, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. By the way, Target has a 90 day return policy. If you don't like it, take it back!

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
Website
DurkaDurkaPhoto.com
I've got the Surefire 6D, and several Streamlights. It's only been in the last couple of years the the LED lights have been perfected, sure LEDs are plenty bright but for the most part they didn't provide enough light to really be useful....
I've got a great place for Streamlight & Pelican products:
http://www.botachtactical.com/

Perfect example:
http://www.botachtactical.com/stscfl.html

These guys are in LA and ship quick and have great prices and sales all the time...No I don't have anything to do with the company...

The Pelican 7060 LAPD LED light cranks out light...When we got some (actually hundreds...) at work, I had all the guys take them home for a while to play with them...

Use Botach at your own risk. Prices are low but getting your stuff is a crapshoot. Do a search and you will find many customers that got screwed but also some that got stuff no problem. Like I said use at your own risk.

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Website
www.fast-aid.org
love the e2d, and carry it on duty as a last ditch/resort backup weapon, would be even better if it were led..... if you found 200 bucks lying around, the blackhawk gladius is a cool led as well, but only worth it if you're spending someone elses money...

pelicans are awesome too.. a lot of the fire boys use the pelicans too... lightweight, really tough, waterproof...

loufish

Reaction
Use Botach at your own risk. Prices are low but getting your stuff is a crapshoot. Do a search and you will find many customers that got screwed but also some that got stuff no problem. Like I said use at your own risk.

First time I've heard that...I've been buying from them for years, never an issue...They are located here in Los Angeles, maybe that helps...

steveG

Reaction
someone posted earlier that it was not worth it. what am i suppose to do now, good grief

After a bunch of reading I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the conversion. I'm telling you, drop the coin on a good flashlight. You won't be disappointed. There are a lot of new LED lights you can buy for under $30 that put Mag-Lites to shame.

maxyedor

Reaction
someone posted earlier that it was not worth it. what am i suppose to do now, good grief

FWIW I bought a conversion for my 2AA Mag Lite for $8 at Fry's with the push-button tailcap, defeinitely worth the cash. I allredy owned a bunch of AA Mag Lites and the LED conversion is brighter than the standard bulb and makes the batteries last longer, not as bright as my Surefire (which I found in Pismo:D) but for $8, who cares?

MH20

Reaction
The actual Mag-Lite branded LED bulbs are pretty good, the others are junk.

I have a couple LED mags and they are much brighter than an incandescent one, and I have yet to change the batteries on one. Sure there are smaller/lighter packages available, but I kind of like the larger club-like heft that the 3 D-Cell lights have, not to mention you don't have to worry about breaking it.

If you already have a maglite, I personally think its worth the $20 to upgrade vs $50-100 for a new light.

Msquared

Reaction
Website
www.motorsportsquared.com
The actual Mag-Lite branded LED bulbs are pretty good, the others are junk.
I can second that, i got one of the Knock off led conversions with the push button on the bottom, when its on, its very cool and bright. But if you tighten the bulb end all the way, the light stays on and the switch is useless :confused:

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
i just bought a Pelican 7060... that thing is bad@ss as used by LAPD its champion, good weapon if u were forced to use it in that way !

loufish

Reaction
i just bought a Pelican 7060... that thing is bad@ss as used by LAPD its champion, good weapon if u were forced to use it in that way !

Great lights! Hard to believe a LED flashlight can put out so much light, and for a good distance...
Funny part is that they were "designed" not to be used as wepons...

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Great lights! Hard to believe a LED flashlight can put out so much light, and for a good distance...
Funny part is that they were "designed" not to be used as wepons...

well just messing around in the desert.. i whacked my buddy in the arm and he got all butt hurt .. haha that light has a dense body on it... thats what i ment by that :)

ptgarcia

Reaction
After reading this thread I had my wife buy me one of the Scorpions from the site Lou posted for Father's Day. And I must say I am thoroughly impressed by the intensity and color of the light these little torches put out!