Good price for a used Type 4 VW transaxle???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Hey. . .I found a couple of VW Type 4 transaxles for $150 each. . .they supposedly came out of running vehicles that had other problems so the transaxles have no problems.

Is $150 a good price for a Type 4 VW transaxle?

And, would a Type 4 transaxle be a good choice for a Baja Bug?

I'm new to VW stuff and Bugs, but I have "Baja Bugs & Buggies" by Jeff Hillard and I'm reading up on them. . .so I'm learning slowly, but surely.

Thanks!

Wilson

Reaction
Hey. . .I found a couple of VW Type 4 transaxles for $150 each. . .they supposedly came out of running vehicles that had other problems so the transaxles have no problems.

Is $150 a good price for a Type 4 VW transaxle?

And, would a Type 4 transaxle be a good choice for a Baja Bug?

I'm new to VW stuff and Bugs, but I have "Baja Bugs & Buggies" by Jeff Hillard and I'm reading up on them. . .so I'm learning slowly, but surely.

Thanks!

Not sure exactly what you mean by a "type 4" transaxle - the three basic VW type transaxles I'm aware of are "type 1", "002" and "091"...... Typically, the 002's and 091's are "bus" transaxles, those are the ones that would be used in race applications. $150 normally wouldn't buy anything worth using without a major overhaul.

GDRBORETIRED

Reaction
Have you found Type 4 (4 speed) transaxles? If so they are too fragile and rare to try to use offroad. If you like I can suggest a possibility for reselling them. Please contact off RDC.