goodyear wrangler mt directional?

singlehanded

Reaction
Anybody know much about these tires they are like 4+ years old. Can get a set of 6 for 500 bucks brand new from a guy(thats 83 bucks a tire). Are they good? For a mostly street driven ranger that gonna race mdr and goes to dezert often. They are 35x12.5x15.
thanks

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
When I purchased mine new 4 or 5 years ago they cost about $185.00 per tire....I liked them I would buy a set again......They lasted about 20,000 very abusive miles...never got a flat....

Start drinking till you see double and act single

curt

Reaction
For what we're doing they're the best rear tires we've ever put on the truck. The tread pattern when grooved is very soft and pliable so you get excellent traction off the line under hard pack or asphalt like like conditions. We ran them at Vorra's shortcourse and never lost a holeshot all season. I would love to find another set of 31's. For street they should corner well and probably wouldn't develop that annoying whine like the BFG's at the half life of the tire, rotate them frequently. They won't last as long as a BFG since they're softer and in the desert they might have a tendency to chunk. The best price I ever saw them for was 160ea. Curt

VORRA Class 7

jeff

Reaction
A buddy of mine had terrible luck with those on his Jeep - 35's too. Right after he bought them he destroyed two of them and then without his knowledge Goodyear had discontinued them :) He was running one as a spare and he tore the sidewall out of it loading it on the trailer. One of the major selling points of the new MTR is the more durable sidewall - and based on my buddys sidewall shredding experience I'd say Goodyear was smart to redisign those older tires. One thing to be really careful of on those tires is bead condition. I've seen lots of old MT's get destroyed when being installed/removed from the wheel without enough lube - when you install them, or pay someone to install them, LUBE them silly!

Also, if you destroy one (or two) can you easily get another to keep the matched set?

Aloha

singlehanded

Reaction
now I am not sure if its worth getting them. Would you guys buy them for this price.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

mxjeremy

Reaction
I have the 305/70r16's (33") on my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://geocities.com/mxjeremy/tundra/>tundra</A>. I like them very much. They get great traction on and off road. They are way louder than BFG muds. Not quite the level of super swampers, but close. I like it though. They do get flat spots when parked for any amount of time, this goes away in a couple miles of driving. The sidewalls are only 2 ply, and I think this may be what causes the flat spots. Mine do not wear evenly. The backs wear pretty flat, but for some reason my fronts have angled lugs. The lugs are shorter in the front, and lip up towards the back of each lug. Overall a great tire. I got mine from a junkyard w/ 80% on them for $75 each.
late.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"my fronts have angled lugs. The lugs are shorter in the front, and lip up towards the back of each lug."

Thats due to alignment or shock problems and is also responsible for the excess noise.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

mxjeremy

Reaction
Thanks Kris. I've been needing an alignment for a while now. I hope the shocks are still good. I have the SAWs w/ under 20k of road use on them. The suspension feels just fine minus the stock rear. My fronts may be too tow in because the truck tracks straight and doesn't wander. I haven't gotten it aligned in a while because I ride my dr350 most of the time.
late.

leftwing55

Reaction
Riding your DR350?? Sheesh, I thought those were dead already.. Got your dual sport enduro tires on there??

<font color=green> When the GREEN flag drops the BS stops. </font color=green>

leftwing55

Reaction
Uh no.. look out.. DR350 riders unite!!

mxjeremy

Reaction
Yeah I have the enduro tires on it. They have their own hwy whine too. It's a 93 and I got it with only 3600 mi for $1200 in perfect condition. For what I use it for it can't be beat. I just need to lane split down beach blvd (hwy 39), and there's no better vehicle than an enduro. They are nimble, light, and skinny. Don't worry I ride a "real" bike offroad, a cr250.

I apologize for taking the tread in another direction, but isn't that why they are called threads?
late.

leftwing55

Reaction
Then I only have this to say.. RIDE RED Baby!! XR400 here (DR350 for friends to thrash er.. ride).