GoPro record directly to external hard drive?

Mike321

Reaction
Is there an off-the-self way to record video to an external hard drive vs mini SD card using a GoPro Hero 5?

Thanks,
Mike

dzrt performance

Reaction
why would you WANT to do that?
a traditional hard drive....probably would fail in an off road environment. a solid state drive would be my only consideration. but considering micro SD cards (today) can hold 256GB how much memory do you really need?

Mike321

Reaction
why would you WANT to do that?
a traditional hard drive....probably would fail in an off road environment. a solid state drive would be my only consideration. but considering micro SD cards (today) can hold 256GB how much memory do you really need?
Why? I would like to record more than 256GB of data without changing cards.

chevydude7

Reaction
Unfortunately since Go Pro uses a Micro SD Card you can only have 256GB max memory as of now. Keep in mind you can record 12 hours straight of 4k footage on a 256GB Micro SD. If you need more than that you are going to have to look into a professional camera solution other than a GoPro, as it sounds essential for your particular application.

Mike321

Reaction
Unfortunately since Go Pro uses a Micro SD Card you can only have 256GB max memory as of now. Keep in mind you can record 12 hours straight of 4k footage on a 256GB Micro SD. If you need more than that you are going to have to look into a professional camera solution other than a GoPro, as it sounds essential for your particular application.
Thanks for the response. What about HDMI output recording? Does anyone have experience with this?

Zambo

Reaction
Rather than record hour after hour after hour of footage, do a search for how to use looping mode.

Mike321

Reaction
Rather than record hour after hour after hour of footage, do a search for how to use looping mode.
Thanks for the reply. I should have expanded on my original response and question. The GoPro is in an area where access is difficult, meaning switching cards or pressing buttons isn't going to happen. It is also unlikely someone will use the app to trigger the loop mode (if this is even possible).

But there is still a desire to capture more than 256GB of data.

Zambo

Reaction
There is a remote you can buy so you don't need to reach the camera or mess with the app.