GoPro SD card Corrupt?

KyleMurray

Reaction
I have a gopro SD card full of my winning heat at BAP on sunday and I tired to upload it to my computer but it keeps popping up with aa error message saying my computer cannot read it, the file may be corrupt, damaged etc... anyone know how to retrieve the data? the memory card is full so I know it is on there, just cannot get to it. Thanks

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
What type of GoPro do you have?

My question is this, I know on my Silver 3 that I can utilize the GoPro to be my mass storage device and essentially my "card reader". If you are putting the card directly into a computer it might not have the ability to read a full 8+gb card?

Other than that I'm not sure what else you can do. I always make a habit of formatting the card with the GoPro before I start recording. This way I know that I'm starting with a fresh card, and it wont have problems later.

PWR MAD

Reaction
You may have to connect the GoPro with the USB cable and mount it as a removable disk to read it. If that works, you can drag and drop where you want it go.

KyleMurray

Reaction
What type of GoPro do you have?

My question is this, I know on my Silver 3 that I can utilize the GoPro to be my mass storage device and essentially my "card reader". If you are putting the card directly into a computer it might not have the ability to read a full 8+gb card?

Other than that I'm not sure what else you can do. I always make a habit of formatting the card with the GoPro before I start recording. This way I know that I'm starting with a fresh card, and it wont have problems later.

It is the hd hero 2, I always format the card (16gig) before using it like you said. I have tried putting the card directly into the computer as well as using a USB cord. Thanks

KyleMurray

Reaction
You may have to connect the GoPro with the USB cable and mount it as a removable disk to read it. If that works, you can drag and drop where you want it go.

I got the footage to copy to my computer, but I am still getting the same error message when I try to open it. Thank you

KyleMurray

Reaction
Oh, misread your first post, sorry. What program are you using to open it?

Just the normal windows programs, and I downloaded QuickTime to try that. What concerns me is that I've never had a problem with uploading in car footage (only thing I use a gopro for) and I just got a new computer and formatted the card with that before it was used in the race. I have tried to upload it to an older pc and a Mac but it wouldn't play.

PWR MAD

Reaction
Bummer, if neither of those programs will open them, it's gonna be tough. Do the videos show with the correct file type, as in .MP4?

PWR MAD

Reaction
I use Windows Live, it's a free download and the Movie Maker program is pretty easy to use and opens all my GoPro videos so far.

KyleMurray

Reaction
Bummer, if neither of those programs will open them, it's gonna be tough. Do the videos show with the correct file type, as in .MP4?

Yes it does show it is a .MP4. Ill have to try windows live, and I use Windows movie maker. I'm thinking maybe it's a bad go pro? I have a 32 gig card I tired to use and the go pro read sd error in the go pro and the card was freshly formatted too

PWR MAD

Reaction
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hope it works out for you. I had to return my first GoPro and GoPro.com wasn't as forgiving as Bestbuy was. I got lucky and they replaced it on the spot, just as we were heading to the dunes.

KyleMurray

Reaction
Ill have to give that a shot, thanks for the help

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
I always make a habit of formatting the card with the GoPro before I start recording. This way I know that I'm starting with a fresh card, and it wont have problems later.

I just got a new computer and formatted the card with that before it was used in the race.

Read above. I have had the same problem, this is why I format the card IN the GoPro

KyleMurray

Reaction
Read above. I have had the same problem, this is why I format the card IN the GoPro

I have always formatted the card alone and never had a problem, but I will give it a shot. Just hook it up with a USB and format it the same way?

PWR MAD

Reaction
The problem with formatting the card in the computer, is that the format is OS dependent and may not be readable by the GoPro. Hope it does work out for you though, be a shame to lose the footage.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
I have always formatted the card alone and never had a problem, but I will give it a shot. Just hook it up with a USB and format it the same way?

Dont format the card right now. try try try to get your data off it first. If you have a second card to use for the time being use it instead.

I unhook the GoPro from the computer and use the GoPro settings to format the card. This is the only guaranteed option that would work time after time. Basically if your "Removable Disk:/ E" on your computer doesnt say "GOPRO" when you read it, then there will always be a chance that files might become corrupt.

KyleMurray

Reaction
I didn't know you could format the card in the go pro, that's way smarter thanks! And yeah Id really like to get that footage off, first race I've won with a couple close calls haha. Thank you!

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
I didn't know you could format the card in the go pro, that's way smarter thanks! And yeah Id really like to get that footage off, first race I've won with a couple close calls haha. Thank you!

No worries. I'm sure you have already, but start googling ways to see if you can recover your footage. In my experience I have never had good luck :/

KyleMurray

Reaction
No worries. I'm sure you have already, but start googling ways to see if you can recover your footage. In my experience I have never had good luck :/

I have looked it up and gave a couple of things a shot and turned up with nothing, hence why I tuned to the good people of RDC. Ill just put that card away for now until I figure it out. Thanks for the help

loufish

Reaction
I have 3 GoPro cameras, and with every one I format the card in the camera...but theses cameras are kind of funny with some SD cards, some just don't seem to work...