• Forum membership has its advantages....

GOPro Tethering systems

ColeA

With everyone losing GoPros while racing ( including me) got me wondering on what kind of tethering system everyone uses that works. And also mounting systems? I think if someone shares something that works that we can all save us time, money and frustration on losing cameras that got that perfect shot!

y2kbaja

I think what the OP is asking is once the camera and case are mounted on the car what keeps the camera attached to the car once the mount breaks off. I've seen too many people walking the course looking for their GP because the plastic tab broke whether it be rock impact, rolling or really bad design. That's why I like my drift camera with it's 1/4x16 mounting thread; no plastic mounts.

MALABANAN

I think what the OP is asking is once the camera and case are mounted on the car what keeps the camera attached to the car once the mount breaks off. I've seen too many people walking the course looking for their GP because the plastic tab broke whether it be rock impact, rolling or really bad design. That's why I like my drift camera with it's 1/4x16 mounting thread; no plastic mounts.
Leash it to the roll cage.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
If the mount broke, whatever you're using to tether is probably going to break as well and most likely the camera would be DOA from smacking roll cage for however long until someone removed said tether. At least you get your footage though and not 100% guarantee it'll be dead. Not a horrible idea. If I was going to tether, it'd be some crazy fishing line for like marlin fishing or something designed to be nearly indestructible like that.

However, we use literally hundreds of on board cameras here at the studio for LOORS, BITD and all other forms of motorsports we produce for. We don't tether anything and the only time we lose cameras is in bad crashes. We have gone 100% with the ram mounts as they attach and adjust faster and more easily than anything else and they have an inherent "shock" absorption and resistance to impact in that they will "give a little" because of the ball joint design.

RAM MOUNT STRAP BASE GOPRO CAMERA - RAM-B-108-GOP1 | RAM Mounts

Amxlocal

Get a Replay XD. It's half the cost as a GoPro with better performance and comes with a roll bar mount.
It's specifically designed for motocross and vehicle racing application. It is smaller and looks aerodynamic, so it fits well. Gopro is so goofy looking especially on a motorcycle helmet! The Replay XD is about the size of a roll of quarters and super light weight.. It would be really difficult for one to become detached.

I believe Robby Gordon records with one if you want to see how the quality looks.

Last edited:

johndjmix

Made a tether for mine for 99 cents. A good wrap around the unit and secure tight, like a net.

Works perfect.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com