Website
www.SonoraRally.com

Attachments

• ShaunRandiIII.jpg
    ShaunRandiIII.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 78

michalCCR

RDC Crypto
Not ingorance, simple fact.....He has done nothing of significance in the Dakar Rally in years. As far as beating RG in the Dakar Rally.......that is opinion. To think his vehicle would be competetive in South America and beat the H3 in my opinion is ignorance. RG has been the torch bearer for the two wheeled "buggy" class in Dakar for the past 5-6 years. You can try to dispute that respectfully, but there is really no disputing it from a factual standpoint ;)

RG has brought a lot of excitement to 2WD class in Dakar, that's true.
But talking about facts... In Dakar-style rallies this year (Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Silk Way) JLS has lost only to one of the Minis and beating all others and all Hiluxes as well. That's something RG hasn't achieved for last 4 years. These are the facts.
RG is an excellent driver and car builder and I will root for him as I ever was since his VW debut. But in rally raid JLS is levels higher.

RGFan

RDC Crypto
RG has brought a lot of excitement to 2WD class in Dakar, that's true.
But talking about facts... In Dakar-style rallies this year (Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Silk Way) JLS has lost only to one of the Minis and beating all others and all Hiluxes as well. That's something RG hasn't achieved for last 4 years. These are the facts.
RG is an excellent driver and car builder and I will root for him as I ever was since his VW debut. But in rally raid JLS is levels higher.

As stated, JLS has not raced in the Dakar Rally in years so there is nothing from a factual standpoint to really compare to......No disrespect against the guy and his team. They can flat out race and are flat out competetive. But he does not and has not raced this race in years. He said it is because the Dakar should be raced in Africa. It has been said by all that this race is quite different from a terrain standpoint than anything in Africa or the ME. My understanding is his machines are built for the deserts of of Africa and the ME, not the gravel roads of Argentina. Maybe that is part reason for him not racing in SA as well?

This topic and this post is about the Dakar Rally, not the other rallies. RG does not race in the other rallies. RG has been the 2wd standard for this rally in SA, which is what I stated. It could be said that JLS is the 2wd standard for the other raid style races in Africa and the ME which he has raced.

The other drivers listed earlier did not race JLS machines for this race, they raced RGO cars which was the initial comparison and then went off and attempted to design their own buggies after their experiences with the Hummer for the race in SA.

We can go round and round with this. If RG were to apply and commit himself to the entire series and do other raids, I have a strong feeling we would see a few more wins. But he does not, so were are left to watch him do only the Dakar Rally. I think we can both say both men are competetive and have done a lot for the 2wd race cars in Rally Raid competetion even though we differ on who has done more for this race since moving to SA.

Chase 2

RDC Crypto
"The test mule ran 160mph in the desert unrestricted and mid 130's restricted." Wait...Wot????? 160 mph with a SST body in the desert? JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA!!!!! That pretty much throws any possible credibility out the window right there. (i'm sure Fly will buzz by here any second to inform all of us how they actually do that trick.)

SpeedFreak

RDC Crypto
As stated, JLS has not raced in the Dakar Rally in years so there is nothing from a factual standpoint to really compare to.......No disrespect against the guy and his team. They can flat out race and are flat out competetive. But he does not and has not raced this race in years. He said it is because the Dakar should be raced in Africa. This topic and this post is about the Dakar Rally, not the other rallies. RG does not race in the other rallies. RG has been the 2wd standard for this rally in SA. JLS has not since the move to South America.

I looked up some of these other rallies and the longest 1 I saw was only a 5 day race. The only rally I saw a mini entered in was the rally they won, the other rallies I didn't really recognize any of the names as I do at Dakar. I have total respect for JLS as does a lot of others on here but I don't think we can compare apples to oranges. The only true comparison would be if they compete in the same event. Until then I'm siding with RGFan with Robby at Dakar until JLS can man up and except that the rally is no longer in Africa and come prove us wrong.

Chase 2

RDC Crypto
Yeah 160mph seems a bit fast....unless he was driving a street-version HST, in which case that might be possible then.
On pavement. And would you really run the gearing to go those speeds in the race car??

And JLS doesn't have to prove sheet. He's already won 2 more Dakars than Rubby.

Last edited:

Ferrari333SP

RDC Crypto
On pavement. And would you really run the gearing to go those speeds in the race car??

And JLS doesn't have to prove sheet. He's already won 2 more Dakars than Rubby.

Yeah I don't think you would, so that's why those speeds mentioned seem fishy. But like we've heard about the street-version of the HST, RG wants to take it up to high speeds, so maybe he didn't have race gearing installed, but instead street gearing.

In any case, I'm sure the race HST will be faster in top speed than the Hummer; we'll see for sure when they cross the salt lake on Stage 7.

SkippyG

RDC Crypto
Yeah I don't think you would, so that's why those speeds mentioned seem fishy. But like we've heard about the street-version of the HST, RG wants to take it up to high speeds, so maybe he didn't have race gearing installed, but instead street gearing.

In any case, I'm sure the race HST will be faster in top speed than the Hummer; we'll see for sure when they cross the salt lake on Stage 7.
There are two HST's.

SteveRacer

RDC Crypto

I would bet the gearing is fine to go those speeds. Without the restrictor the motor will make power at significantly higher RPMs allowing it to go much faster while using the same gearing. Not saying the speed claims are true, just stating it could run both of those speeds with the same gears.