Got Worms ??

JeffS

Reaction
Is your Windows XP or 2000 shutting itself down everytime you connect to the internet. Its a microsoft security hole that is being exploited by a couple of new worms including the W32.Blaster.Worm .
I've fixed over 15 crashing pc's just today alone. I'm sure there are some of you that can benefit from this info. Here's the info and patches... do it.. or you won't be able to play on RDC in the near future.

Symantec Anti Virus page : w32.blaster.worm

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980

Win XP Patch

Windows 2000 patch

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Mine at home won't even connect, what should I do as I can't access the Internet off the infected computer?

Jordan

Reaction
You can boot into SAFE MODE and go into your registry and remove the MSblast.exe files in the Windows Dir. Then reboot back into normal windows and run your antivirus.

GFC

Reaction
i had this problem start about a week ago.. only did it once.... but like others, yesterday... it happened shortly after i started up... every time

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Erikh beat me to it, but seriously............there aren't any known viruses like the one in this post out there on the Mac platform. Yes, you can still get a macro virus from downloading a file then opening it, but know where near the CHAOS that goes down on the PC plaforn. If anyone on the board is interested in making the switch, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do......

JeffS

Reaction
What a strange dreamworld you 'apple' guys live in. ?!?

Don't you know that Linux is the ONLY way to go ?

/. /. /. /. /. /.

yotatech

Reaction
We had the worm. I would happen every so often, but last night it did 7 times in an hour. Today when my dad got on he saw and article on the homepage luckily so we were able to fix it and get back to readin rdc.

jeff

Reaction
I hate Mac but that's me and that's my own opinion so don't tell me what I don't want to hear. This is my favorite anti-Mac video... ever!

http://www.peppytree.com/images/mac.mpg

Aloha

PS - watch out for language in this video, it's not for little kids.

mflo

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What a strange dreamworld you 'apple' guys live in. ?!?
Don't you know that Linux is the ONLY way to go ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does an operating system built on top of FreeBSD UNIX count? I mean, OS X is everything Linux wants to be, but with a UI that grandma can figure out.

I also volunteer my services for anyone interested in making the switch.

billymanfroy

Reaction
Josh,

The reason Macs aren't affected by viruses is nobody wants to spend all that time making something that'll only screw up 15 or 20 users at CalPoly, Berkeley, and Cupertino. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

BTW, your daughter looks a LOT less scary in person.

Billy

SDranger

Reaction
yes download the update even if you dont have the worm, you don't need to open anything it downloads itself. But if you are behind a good firewall you have nothin to worry about.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
I got something worse than a worm a few days ago. It was some kind of virus that changed the screen resolution to a minimum (huge icons!) and swapped the mouse buttons. Also, no matter what you try to do to fix the problem, it just poped up an error message to send the error to Microsoft. It also would say "SpOrky Owns yOu." I ended up reformating the beast.

michael_loomis

Reaction
last time i gave my computer a shot , i ended up with plastic fragments all over the place !!

thx rhi , your link saved my ass .

im all about the norton now !!! as soon as my trucks runnin , im drivin down to buy it lol !!

dezdude

<font color="#800000"><b> RDC Photographer</b></fo
Reaction
I also got the worm. But was lucky enough to have anouther pc to log on and download the patch. Been able to warn a few people in advance, pluss able to help some already infested.

sweetdevil

Reaction
I never recieve any junk mail on my pciraceradios account, and today I received about 15 messages from random emails addresses with odd titles, all with an attachment that is a .pif file.

Anyone else getting this?
Here are a few examples of the emails...

sitesales@winzip.com
sceverts@longfibre.com
shane@motec.com
user@emails.com

Subjects:
Thank you!
Re: Wicked Screensaver
Re: You application
Re: Approved

Attachment names:
your_details.pif
document_all.pif
application.pif
wicked_scr.scr

they all say in the message area "See the attached file for details"

It's just kinda weird cuz I never get any junk on that account, and it's all come across in the past few hours...