GPS and batteries

BlueCoyote

My GPS has an appetite for batteries. In additoin to that it is now 1030pm and realize my son has grabbed the last set of AA for some toy. Need to get some rechargables. starbatteries.com has Nexcell's and a charger for about $40.00 - sound like a deal. Anyone have any experiance with NiMH batteries in a GPS? Some of the web sites say they work good, but some others state that NiMH loose 3% of the charge per day and only deliver 1.2 vs 1.5 volts. Comments?

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

Crayfish

I use Nimh batteries in my Magellan Meridan. They don't last quite as long as akaline but I keep an extra set with me. They last about 10-12 hours without using the backlight.
I bought a 4 batttery charger from Radio Shack and keep rotating the 4 batteries I use for my GPS. I do the same with my digital camera and haven't bought batteries in a couple years.

Good luck

TimHayosh

How often do you use the GPS away from your vehicle?
I don't even use batteries in mine. Hook it up to the cig lighter, and leave it on for weeks at a time.

If you have a Garmin unit, do a Google search for "pfranc". They offer the connector for like nothing $. Mine works great.

My Lowrance hand held was shipped with an adapter cable. I never think about batteries.

An unsolicited $0.02.

Happy motoring, Tim

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I purchased a cig adapter for my handheld Garmin off e-bay. Seller name GPSGEEK, has several makes and modles. i got mine for $10.

i still have the batteries in it but i usually leave it plugged in and on, makes for a good speedo, since mine is way off.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I use the 1800mAh rechargeable AA and they rock. They are NiMH and I picked them up for about $4 a piece and a charger for $30 that came with 4 of the 1800mAh batteries. The cahrger charges NiCd and NiMH with a flip of a switch. If you go rechargabel be sure to buy the proper charger.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

TimHayosh

I bought an external antenna for the Garmin from GPSGEEK. The ant. was $20 and improved reception incredibly.

Happy motoring, Tim

IDRA_CRB

Tim,

Are you able to convert data, like from BFG, for use on your Garmin?

Reese - Lowrance user

TimHayosh

No. Lowrance uses a propietary data compression algorhythm. If you don't have their secret decoder ring, forget it.

I only have Lowrance units in the race vehicles. My Garmin stays in my truck for APRS use. I haven't re-booted it for a couple of weeks now, and it thinks I'm in Mauritania (Click here: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://>http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KD7OLL-1</A>)!

Scott at PCI has tons more info and experience. His data from the B500 was awesome! Looking forward to the 1000...

Happy motoring, Tim

tkr

blank url. try this.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KD7OLL-1>http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KD7OLL-1</A>

you gonna be at the MDR race this weekend Tim?

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Chris

TICHIT MAURITANIA, pretty remote place! What took you there Tim??? I bet you had to get all kinds of painfull shots before you left for that trip.

TimHayosh

It's funny what a couple of misplaced digits will do! For some reason, at the time I posted that link APRS reported my position as in Mauritania. Click the same link right now, and you'll see I'm parked at the airport in Phoenix. Later, when I checked the display on the GPS, the Lat/Long were correct. I cannot explain why it reported me below the equator. Most ironically, that location is on the Paris-Dakar course. Hopefully, this is a sign...

Anyway, JrSyko asked:
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

What does that website mean/do?

<hr></blockquote>

In short, APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) is a means of using the data from a GPS unit, broadcasting it on a HAM frequency, and then decoding it to display the position of that radio.

Hardware: HAM radio, GPS, TNC, cabling, and most importantly: HAM LICENSE!

I put the system in the Coyote car at the Kartek race this year. The crew sat in the trailer, and watched the car go around the course. Yes, it's that accurrate. The website uses a generic background map. When used at the race, I don't use the internet and I imported my own map with the course on it. As long as the cars VHF signal gets out, you will know where it is. All GPS units I know of have this data output capability. Pretty incredible really. The TNC unit used in the Coyote is $30. For use in racing, a HAM license would not be required. You would broadcast on a non-HAM freq. If additional info is desired, contact me. timthedriver@hotmail.com

Happy motoring, Tim

ntsqd

Had an ex missle engineer for a math instructor early in my college career. He told of a missle that did not have a 'reasonableness clause' in it's programing. Shortly after launch the missle made such a hard turn that it tore itself apart. The turn was obviously not programed in and it took them a week to find the problem. Seems it's position reporting system suddenly gave a southern hemisphere location and the course program set about trying to correct the 'error.' Now all guidence code supposedly has the reasonableness clause, as in: "I was there .03 seconds ago, now I'm 1200 miles away ? That's not reasonable, must be an error."

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages