GPS/baja 500

Giovanni289x

Reaction
Hello everybody, This year I will compete for the first time in the Baja 500 (motocycle), I would like to know which GPS do you recommend, which read the score international gps files.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Lowrance is most common gps. But if on a bike I would use a iphone and LEADNAV app. Learn how to have give you audio notes as you reach the spot of importance.. You wont have to look att he unit just listen to it.

mxben

Reaction
Lowrance is most common gps. But if on a bike I would use a iphone and LEADNAV app. Learn how to have give you audio notes as you reach the spot of importance.. You wont have to look att he unit just listen to it.

No to the iphone, no to the lead nav app, no to voice notes - hes not driving a vehicle with a gatorade in the cup holder hes on a bike.

Get a garmin Montana and the appropriate ram mount. They make a bitchen ball mount that uses a through bolt that goes into your handlebar clamp. Use that along with a short two sided arm to attach your garmin to the bike. Send me your cell phone in a PM and I will text you some pics on what my set up looks like. Also, you will want to run a hard wired power cable from your battery along the wiring and up to your bars to have power 100% of the time. People say you can just follow the arrows but the safety net of following a gps track line is very reassuring when you have been in the desert for 3 hours without seeing anyone and not seeing stakes and arrows for 20 minutes at a time.

Giovanni289x

Reaction
No to the iphone, no to the lead nav app, no to voice notes - hes not driving a vehicle with a gatorade in the cup holder hes on a bike.

Get a garmin Montana and the appropriate ram mount. They make a bitchen ball mount that uses a through bolt that goes into your handlebar clamp. Use that along with a short two sided arm to attach your garmin to the bike. Send me your cell phone in a PM and I will text you some pics on what my set up looks like. Also, you will want to run a hard wired power cable from your battery along the wiring and up to your bars to have power 100% of the time. People say you can just follow the arrows but the safety net of following a gps track line is very reassuring when you have been in the desert for 3 hours without seeing anyone and not seeing stakes and arrows for 20 minutes at a time.
Thanks!!!!!!!

mxben

Reaction
Thanks!!!!!!!

I highly suggest getting it now hooking it up and getting familiarized with it. Go ride with it and figure out how you want it mounted. Figure out the quirks of using it. Screen brightness, screen locking, downloading tracks to it, selecting tracks. Get really comfortable with it.

Rslhc

Reaction
Why no to leadnav? Seems like a iPhone running leadnav + a Garmin gps would be a perfect setup.

Rslhc

Reaction
The new trailtech is great. We have used trailtech for years. Never lets us down. Keep things simple. I
Yeah it seems like a good Garmin alternative. Just wondering why no love for LeadNav. The audio queues would be a huge benefit to handlebar teams I would think.

Ben77

Reaction
I would imagine the iPhone could (keyword could) leave you SOL if it overheats and has to cool down before you can re use it?

My .02

Baja Bryan

Reaction

Really??? Yes I can read he is on a bike.. Have you heard of Rob Mac? He does not look at the leadnav on the phone only listens to siri give the commands he put in the prerun. .. Apparently you dont understand what leadnav can do. As you prerun if you come to a Y in the road you make a note. Dangers or what ever you make a note. Then as you approach It will audio tell you about the warning. Trying to watch a tiny garmin and race at the same time is not efficient and most likely wont be looking when you hit the danger.. But if your just a country clubber cruising only to finish then get a garmin with erector set that way you can slow down every 5 miles to look at it. If you want to win do your homework and decide whats best top make you fast and safe..

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Apple products dont charge fast enough and overheat. Especially at the 500.

They can over heat but lot of teams only run them and make them work. In a car I personally dont like Leadnave only use lowrance mostly becuase of the brightness and the easy to make notes fast. . But for Geoavanni a bike with phone screen off in airplane mode it wont over heat. He can stick it in his backpack. There are also some cases that act as a heat sink. Simple option is have two phones with same map and swap out.

Honda48X

Reaction
Go with the Garmin. I have never used leadnav but what you are saying makes me want to try it with the voice commands.

Zambo

Reaction
The phone ain’t gonna overheat in your pocket or backpack. Do you pull your phone out of your pocket even in the hottest day and find that it’s overheated? Of course not. The audio notes work great, just get a set of good earbuds that you can wear comfortably for hours inside your helmet.

Hurley37

Reaction
I ride with a ipad mini on my handlebars at all times hooked into a simple usb port powered from the bike. Never had any problems with overheating, (I ride in plaster city in the summer) or battery issues. Just have my otter box hooked to a ram mount and its been awesome.