GPS editing software for Mac???

cwarren

Reaction
Does anyone know of a good editing software for GPS that works on a mac? Just want to do the typical editing waypoint symbols, changing trail colors etc. Using Lowrance files. Thanks!

AZ7000'

Reaction
I have been looking for years, if you call Lowrance they will confirm, no. Best I found was parallels for mac then loading windows XP or older. Old and really clunky. Find an old PC with windows XP. I have tried many conversion products and mac programs with no luck. Post up here if you find one...

Mrmrike

Reaction
You can do it via a two step process. Use GPSBabel to convert the file to GPX. Then use Garmin Basecamp. There are many free Basecamp compatible base maps out there too.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Stuck Sucks

Reaction
I'm also a huge fan of GPSBabel. Basically, the free app will convert any GPS file format to any other.

Another handy resource is GPS Visualizer, but it does a limited number of conversions.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Is gps babel the one you need internet to use?

AZ7000'

Reaction
Does anyone know of a good editing software for GPS that works on a mac? Just want to do the typical editing waypoint symbols, changing trail colors etc. Using Lowrance files. Thanks!
I use www.expertgps.com you can download a free trial. I do all what you are looking for. Edit routs, waypoints create routs etc.
expertgps appears to work on a PC, not a mac.

Mrmrike

Reaction
Gps babel works on the computer. Not web based. You just use it to convert the files formats. Use the other software for actual mapping.

PaulW

Reaction
GPSBabel.org
Mac Download available
Works for converting various formats.
Not for editing or viewing tracks
Most all GPS editing and viewing SW is for PCs

vegasloki

Reaction
I have been looking for years, if you call Lowrance they will confirm, no. Best I found was parallels for mac then loading windows XP or older. Old and really clunky. Find an old PC with windows XP. I have tried many conversion products and mac programs with no luck. Post up here if you find one...
Get a current copy of Parallels and Win 7 or Win 10 and you'll be able to run virtually any modern Windows software. I use it for Autocad, Solidworks, Bendtech and others. Expertgps is running on it as well. I was able to load BAP .gpx files and edit them. The response is pretty good though I can't compare it running natively.

Offspring

Reaction
Get a current copy of Parallels and Win 7 or Win 10 and you'll be able to run virtually any modern Windows software. I use it for Autocad, Solidworks, Bendtech and others. Expertgps is running on it as well. I was able to load BAP .gpx files and edit them. The response is pretty good though I can't compare it running natively.
+1 on this, Been using vmware and win 7 for years on a mac, zero issues.

PaulW

Reaction
Of course you can get a very functional, brand new, Win 10 PC for around $200 and it will do fine for the kind of file manipulation we do. Shop around and get one even for less. The main requirement is an SD slot. Memory and other specs can be minimized.

vegasloki

Reaction
Until a few years ago I ran a low cost Win laptop for at the track (off lease Dells from ebay), mostly for Aim Race Studio before you could download the data to a stick. You can get a good reburb, name brand laptop with full warranty for under $200 at Newegg and others. The RAM and disks are slim but the machines aren't bad. Were I to do something like that I'd look at a spending a bit more for a Surface Pro rather than a laptop.

For the SD reader you can get a USB to SD dongle that works well for $10-20.

For Mac users though, if you've got a good machine already and need to run more powerful Win software emulating Win is more cost effective than buying a machine. On my i7 Mac I can get the performance with SW and the others as I did on my i5 tower I built as a design station. Emulator and Win were about $125, I spent about a grand on the tower(the Mac was over $2k...). The only place I don't emulate is on the laser cutter, the connection would drop during cutting though the CAM ran fine. I built a small i3 in a mini atx case, the single most expensive part was the copy of Windows.

AZ7000'

Reaction
I was going to buy a used laptop loaded for $100, I'm going to buy the emulator and can get windows 7 for $120ish total. Then just 1 machine to carry around.

Thx all

cwarren

Reaction
You can do it via a two step process. Use GPSBabel to convert the file to GPX. Then use Garmin Basecamp. There are many free Basecamp compatible base maps out there too.

Will the Garmin symbols load and show on your GPS when you convert back to a Lawrence file??

PaulW

Reaction
USR (either version 0 thru 3 or Version 4) to GPX you must use GPSBabel.org. Then put the file into MapSource where the GPX will reside then save it to the desktop. With a GPX file use GPSBabel.org and convert GPX to USR (either version 0 thru 3 or Version 4). I think the symbols will be there, but not look like the original.
Practice to verify what I just wrote and tell us your pitfalls or success.
Complicated

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I use VirtualBox by Oracle (FREE) <LINK> to simulate Windows for those oddball apps that require it.

vegasloki

Reaction
I use VirtualBox by Oracle (FREE) <LINK> to simulate Windows for those oddball apps that require it.
How is your graphics performance? GPS editing doesn't look like it requires it but in CAD/modeling apps I found it to be a bit sluggish on screen/component redraws. Otherwise it's pretty good. Not quite up to the two big commercial offerings but a great start.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
How is your graphics performance? GPS editing doesn't look like it requires it but in CAD/modeling apps I found it to be a bit sluggish on screen/component redraws. Otherwise it's pretty good. Not quite up to the two big commercial offerings but a great start.
performance is suffering hence I only get into virtual box for specific tasks and then leave the OS.

Jeffers909

Reaction
Adze in the app store. Use Babel to convert USR to GPX and edit away.