GPS is not RADAR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironbenderii

Reaction
Okay, so this has been bugging me... This last Mint we were racing our 11 car and having a pretty good race. I wasn't driving this lap but my buddy was. He saw a 1 car on his ass so he pulled completely off the track and stopped to let the car(s) by. Two 1 cars passed him no problem. A third, hauling ass in the dust nailed us hard enough to pretty much destroy our car, take us out of the race and take us out of the points run for the season. The unibody is crushed in the rear, took out a wheel and a tire, engine cover, fender, bumper, and a bunch of other stuff. It launched us into a small tree and wedged us in. The driver of the 1 car didn't stop to see if our guys were ok (which they were). What if somebody was out changing a tire and needed medical assistance? How about stopping by and saying sorry for taking you guys out of the race and potentially ruining your season? We're a low-buck 11 car team that is in the hunt for points and are now trying to scramble to put our car back together to continue our season.

How about coming by our pit to see if everyone is okay? Maybe use that internet thing to find out who's season they ruined?

Before anybody jumps on my back, I know racing is dangerous, expensive, blah blah blah. But tell me why the hell I should pull off the side of the road when every other race one of our cars gets totalled out by somebody when we pull off to let them pass?? Last year at the Mint a 1-car was hit by a class 1 racing in the dust and sent them flying and totalled their car. At least they were cool enough to make things right...

155/Letner, I hope you realize that when you're racing blind it isn't only your life/car that you're putting in jeopardy...

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Okay, so this has been bugging me... This last Mint we were racing our 11 car and having a pretty good race. I wasn't driving this lap but my buddy was. He saw a 1 car on his ass so he pulled completely off the track and stopped to let the car(s) by. Two 1 cars passed him no problem. A third, hauling ass in the dust nailed us hard enough to pretty much destroy our car, take us out of the race and take us out of the points run for the season. The unibody is crushed in the rear, took out a wheel and a tire, engine cover, fender, bumper, and a bunch of other stuff. It launched us into a small tree and wedged us in. The driver of the 1 car didn't stop to see if our guys were ok (which they were). What if somebody was out changing a tire and needed medical assistance? How about stopping by and saying sorry for taking you guys out of the race and potentially ruining your season? We're a low-buck 11 car team that is in the hunt for points and are now trying to scramble to put our car back together to continue our season.

How about coming by our pit to see if everyone is okay? Maybe use that internet thing to find out who's season they ruined?

Before anybody jumps on my back, I know racing is dangerous, expensive, blah blah blah. But tell me why the hell I should pull off the side of the road when every other race one of our cars gets totalled out by somebody when we pull off to let them pass?? Last year at the Mint a 1-car was hit by a class 1 racing in the dust and sent them flying and totalled their car. At least they were cool enough to make things right...

155/Letner, I hope you realize that when you're racing blind it isn't only your life/car that you're putting in jeopardy...
Hey dude, they are plenty of people with Letner's phone number on here. No reason to blast him on a public forum. Harley and Kory are stand up guys. If you want his number to call him about this, just friggin ask.

Take up chess next time you decide you want to do something.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Bummer! It sucks to be in either position for sure and I can tell you from being in an unlimited car it is not an easy thing to weave through other cars but it is something you do with major caution.

I have actually hit a car on the jack when I was a youngster in my 1600 car and have "bumped" slower cars parked on the edge of the course and I have been hit while on the jack....not sure there are a lot of really solid answers.

Can you imagine being out on the track at a NASCAR or IRL race with no caution changing your own tire? Ohh and then turn the vision meter down with some dust.

If a driver can see there is two people still in the car or that the car was just moving aka making a little dust one may assume they are still in the car and safe.

In the one car it may not feel like much of a hit so maybe they just thought they skimmed your car? I can't say for sure but "if the car isn't broken" then they may think the contact was not that bad? I don't know if they "glanced" you or had to back up after bumper contact. Each is a unique issue. One thing is for sure they/anyone never wants to hit anyone.

I know you're pissed so you outed 'em but I'm just gonna say that even if this team seems like a bunch of maniacs they are actually long time family racers and respect the desert community....well they don't like Trophy Truck drivers but that's a story for another day.

flyinbronco

Reaction
Hey dude, they are plenty of people with Letner's phone number on here. No reason to blast him on a public forum. Harley and Kory are stand up guys. If you want his number to call him about this, just friggin ask.

Take up chess next time you decide you want to do something.
Geez lighten up. I don't think he was BLASTING anyone and why should he have to call him. The one that did the hitting should have talked to the one that got hit.

ironbenderii

Reaction
Yeah, it's a crazy sport and the danger is one of the attractions for sure. That's why I like racing in Mexico more than the states... That's also why I didn't take up chess.

To answer your question, the hit was hard enough to take him out of the race as well, although they made it down the course a little ways before they called it due to front end damage. I talked to the guy that talked to them and they say they thought they waived them off. Not sure how that is possible given where they ended up and the fact there was so much dust they could barely see our car. I think after that much contact, taking an extra few seconds to drive over (don't even have to get out of the car!) to make sure everything is ok is warranted. I'm sure they're stand up guys, at least most of the time. This time though... not so much.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Geez lighten up. I don't think he was BLASTING anyone and why should he have to call him. The one that did the hitting should have talked to the one that got hit.
There is a whole back story to this already that was on SNORE's forum. This is already old. Just not necessary to drag this crap over here too. He has said his peace already over there and obviously to the Letners. Let the drivers handle it themselves.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
Isn't this the second or third thread about this. Or wasn't this mentioned in another thread. Maybe the PM function should be used or Phones and emails. Calling them out a second time on a public forum is tedius.

ironbenderii

Reaction
There is a whole back story to this already that was on SNORE's forum. This is already old. Just not necessary to drag this crap over here too. He has said his peace already over there and obviously to the Letners. Let the drivers handle it themselves.
I didn't see those replies on SNORE... I don't see a "whole back story there". I am a driver for this car, and this is my points race too. So the drivers ARE trying to handle this...

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Guys,

I got slammed by a class 1 car at the MINT ( that's on RDC ) and they pretty much banana'd my rear cage, just because they had broke and were trying to make up time is fine with me, but 3 bumps was to much. Theres a nerf idicate, huge difference between a " tap " and a " Slam " ..... I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'd just accept my loss and move on.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I was at checkpoint 6 where Letner came in with a broken steering rack. I know he felt really bad because he mentioned hitting an 11 or 5-16 car when he came out of the dust. He said he did not see you then tried real hard to avoid hitting you guys and did everything he could with a broken steering rack. He asked me to keep an eye out for your car to see who you were but we never saw you come through before we left.
The Letner's are great people and there is no way they did this on purpose.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Where is that thread that was around talking about a super simple, notification system for overtaking slower cars?

Also, one thing that would help, that we practice is to run some form of running lights during the day. In a high-reving 10 car, we can't hear anything, even the crazy siren Rick D runs on his TT but we can see lights behind us.

ironbenderii

Reaction
We're moving on. We're searching for a new car and hoping we can get the car put together before the Caliente race. But if people don't let this stuff be heard awareness won't be raised and there will be no change...

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I didn't see those replies on SNORE... I don't see a "whole back story there". I am a driver for this car, and this is my points race too. So the drivers ARE trying to handle this...
Do you think coming on a public forum like this and airing your dirty laundry is going to help rectify the situation? I don't...

Have you actually talked to Harley? What did he tell you?

Unfortunately, this was a an accident and accidents happen all the time in off road racing. Sounds to me like you are looking for Mr. Letner to buy you a new car because that is what someone else did last year. This is off road racing. This is like asking a sanctioning body to buy you a new car because you hit a ditch and wadded up your car. These are part of the risks associated with off road racing. You don't see Lucas Hand on here begging for people to pay for his damage to his car after about 9 cars crushed the back of his car off the start of the race. I was one of them. And I also got ran into the back of as well. Guess what, I got over it and will get my car fixed.

You think Dale Earnhardt or Jeff Gordon pays for cars they take out in NASCAR? THIS IS RACING!! Stuff happens. Unfortunately, it is part of the game.

Off road racing is dangerous. We all take risks every time we go out there. We all take financial risks as well.

Like I said, if you can't accept these risks, take up chess.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Do you think coming on a public forum like this and airing your dirty laundry is going to help rectify the situation? I don't...

Unfortunately, this was a an accident and accidents happen all the time in off road racing. Sounds to me like you are looking for Mr. Letner to buy you a new car because that is what someone else did last year. This is off road racing. This is like asking a sanctioning body to buy you a new car because you hit a ditch and wadded up your car. These are part of the risks associated with off road racing. You don't see Lucas Hand on here begging for people to pay for his damage to his car after about 9 cars crushed the back of his car off the start of the race. I was one of them. And I also got ran into the back of as well. Guess what, I got over it and will get my car fixed.

You think Dale Earnhardt or Jeff Gordon pays for cars they take out in NASCAR? THIS IS RACING!! Stuff happens. Unfortunately, it is part of the game.

Off road racing is dangerous. We all take risks every time we go out there. We all take financial risks as well.

Fiesty! I LIKE IT! LOL!

ironbenderii

Reaction
Where is that thread that was around talking about a super simple, notification system for overtaking slower cars?

Also, one thing that would help, that we practice is to run some form of running lights during the day. In a high-reving 10 car, we can't hear anything, even the crazy siren Rick D runs on his TT but we can see lights behind us.
Yeah, we can't hear hardly any of the horns. Some of the sirens we can. We watch our mirrors very closely and try to pull over immediately, we don't wan't to hold anybody up. Some kind of special light that you turned on when passing somebody would be great, probably would have saved us and the 11 car from the 08 Mint...

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Yeah, we can't hear hardly any of the horns. Some of the sirens we can. We watch our mirrors very closely and try to pull over immediately, we don't wan't to hold anybody up. Some kind of special light that you turned on when passing somebody would be great, probably would have saved us and the 11 car from the 08 Mint...
Props to 11 guys, everyone 11 car wepassed moved over before we even had a chance to honk the horn

ironbenderii

Reaction

I'm not looking for them to buy us a new car. The $$ isn't the problem, you can buy a bug for $200. Man power and calendar days between races is our problem. My point is that racing is risky and we all acknowledge that risk every time we get on the course. BUT all risks are mitigated to some point, we put cages in, wear helmets, nerf at a reasonable level, etc. When you've got it pinned in the dust with a car that has a broken rack/can't steer properly, at a point in the course when you know there is a lot of lapped traffic, and you nail a car that doesn't have a full cage around them, maybe you should stop to make sure you didn't kill somebody. And you should remember that it isn't only your life/your co-drivers life/your car that you're putting on the line... There are checkpoint people, people that are stuck on the course and people that are trying to be courteous and pull off the track to let faster traffic pass that you're making the decision for as well.

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
I was at checkpoint 6 where Letner came in with a broken steering rack. I know he felt really bad because he mentioned hitting an 11 or 5-16 car when he came out of the dust. He said he did not see you then tried real hard to avoid hitting you guys and did everything he could with a broken steering rack. He asked me to keep an eye out for your car to see who you were but we never saw you come through before we left.
The Letner's are great people and there is no way they did this on purpose.
I was at the same checkpoint at the same time and he did feel pretty bad about it... Maybe he just hasn't gotten your message or had time to call you back?....

100% agreement about the lights - Maybe another light for the slower car to acknowledge they see the faster car behind.... I know I saw a couple cars behind us at the Mint and was waving like a mad-man.... but if it's hard to see them in the dust in the mirrors, I am sure it's hard for them to see you waving inside the cab/cage.... could save a few of those extra tap/slams perhaps though....

clogking

Reaction

Dude lighten up. He is just venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.