GPS Setup

Kade075

RDC Crypto
I ride a 250 XC-F and I want to race the Vegas to Reno. I do not have a GPS set up on my bike and i was looking for some suggestions. I also have an upgraded stator 95 watt.

Rslhc

RDC Crypto
Garmin Montana is the go to. Another option (not ideal due to ruggedness, screen brightness, and overheating concerns) is to use an iPhone with LeadNav for race navigation or OnX Off-road for trail maps.

with either option, RAM mounts are the o my way to go.

PaulW

RDC Crypto
If you watch the Eu moto rallies you will see they are using the Montana and Ram mounts. The winner usually has two of them, One zoomed in and one zoomed out, which helps to keep the riders hands off the GPS. However even the winner has frequent stops to get orientated., but at least he does not get lost or choose a bad track.

Rslhc

RDC Crypto
Side note, my plan for the 1000 this year is a bar-mounted Montana, and my phone in my pack with LeadNav with navigation and pre-run notes reading to me wired to speakers in my helmet. best of both worlds then. I cannot say enough how helpful LeadNav is for bike guys on these races. Even the V2R without prerunning, going and adding notes on forks in the roads, sharp turns, BITD marked dangers, etc can make you ride some much smoother and more confident.

slim01

RDC Crypto
You sound a bit similar to me when I was planning to do these races. I did the B1K first and then V2R the year afterwards. Unless things have changed since I did V2R in 2015 you will not be needing a GPS. The course was sign posted very well in regards to speed restrictions for road crossings and pits as well as course directions in general, you're not going to get lost.

Because you cannot prerun there isn't really a need for notes and unless you are desperate to know how much further the next pit is, a GPS would just be more of a distraction than help. Also the cars are likely to catch you sooner in V2R than other races and the last thing you'll want to be doing is watching the GPS for whatever reason instead of being aware of the cars coming up behind you. Don't overthink what you 'need' to do this race, its pretty straight forward.

I personally would consider the B1K a bit different as the race is over a larger area, there's bigger gaps between when you're likely to come across other people and there is more chance of course markers going missing or not being seen. If you prerun you can ad your notes for washouts etc (see pic below). The reflective tape placed along the track is easy to see at night but a GPS can be comforting to confirm you are still on the course. Also you can mark your GPS during the race if you come across someone/something that needs to relayed at the next pit or if you need to ditch something on the side of the track and come back after the race to pick it up, (don't ask me why I now know that haha).

Advice given to me but my support crew was to keep it simple. If you don't need it or ride if it regularly, don't race with it. I didn't use a GPS prior to racing the B1K so I spent a bit of time in the months beforehand getting used to having it mounted on the bike and using it. If you are using a GPS with 'normal' batteries like AAs its worth checking to see if the batteries can shake inside and temporarily loose contact resulting in the GPS shutting down. I used a Garmin 62S and ended up jamming some paper folded up behind the cover to hold the batteries in place. It didn't completely solve the problem but did help a lot. One downside to having the GPS was when it did shutdown I felt reliant on it and lost my focus, even when I didn't need it at all. I would also recommend a lanyard tied to the GPS in case it comes loose from the mount. I just used a couple of cable ties loosely looped from the bars to the GPS to allow enough length to remove it to change the batteries etc. They are a great thing but don't feel like you have to have one to race.

GPS.jpg