GPS

michael

I was under the impression that "real time" race car telemetry was not allowed by SCORE and others....anybody know for sure?

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://jmartin.net/goose>jmartin.net/goose</A>

pjc

Chairman
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

2 meter radio from the aircraft every three seconds.

Same can be done with a race car

<hr></blockquote>

I wish it was that easy but it isn't. Consider the following:

1) Some of the most talented HAM radio people are already involved and haven't made this work for off-road racing.
2) Geography.... "Geography". There are very few 2m repeaters in the Nevada Basin and "zero" in Baja.

What you describe can be done via sat phone but, it's damn expensive and such a production will only hinge on the basis of a major sponsor.

Cheers

PJCinLV

Dave_G

Pat,
Didn't say we used a 2 meter in the car....... ;-) Only the sheriffs AC use the 2 meter over the desert.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

IDRA_CRB

Michael,

SCORE rule CR-55 - GPS & Telemetry, was rescinded a couple years ago.

Reese King
CRB Marshal

Dave_G

Re:You're giving it all away!

Naw....the technology that was used hasn't even been discussed here. The previously described is only one way of many to do it. The 2 meter deal is only one of about 5 different ways to accomplish this. There's several teams out there using this new technology and each one does it differently.

Dave

mgobaja

As far as i know Best in The Desert doesnt even give out GPS info. So you might be wasting your money on this item. It would be good if you broke, to be able to tell your crew where you are at , but to use as a guide during the race it would almost be worthless.

TimHayosh

What does BitD have to do with it?

This is not telemetry. Telemetry is transmission (and/or reception) of car data. This is publically available position data.

Anyway, I have done this GPS+Radio+Computer thing. It is cheap, and works well as long as you have line of sight comm. There are ways of doing it with a single radio (the one already in the car), but my preference is to use a second, dedicated, radio.

It is real-time. A repeater would go a long way (no pun intended) in making the system way better. A repeater is not that difficult nor expensive to implement. Currently, there is a nation-wide network of repeaters. If you <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.qsl.net/n9wtm/>click here</A>, you can go to a search page. You can search by call sign (HAM station ID) or by zip code. Put in your zip code, and you will get a list with call-signs and lat/long's. Click on any call sign and you will see the weather in that area and (here's the important part) a map showing the location of the call sign. So, you can do this web-based. Or with the right equipment, (fairly cheap) you can receive the signal directly on your radio and display it on your computer. This has been around for years. The device you put in the car is about the size of a pack of playing cards. The trick is the programming and cabling. I have already built a rig with my a Kenwood 261A. I just haven't had the time to put it in the race car.

You could also do this with a handheld radio for those on motorcycles.

In the big picture, just think of this as a Lojac system.

If there is enough interest, I could build and sell a bunch of these.

Not really spam, but it is Sunday!

Happy motoring, Tim

pciscott

Tim, The problem with using VHF radios to transmit data is your range is half of what your voice range is on the radio. Add to this the amount of VHF radio signals at a offroad race and the limitations grow. There are some teams tracking there cars, but most are using Satellite based systems for added range. I talked with a class one team that will be tracking three cars at the Baja 500, they are using a tracking system that was designed for the trucking industry. I have been researching these systems, but have yet to come up with a bottom line on cost. On another note the price of Sat phones was just dropped to $499, with the airtime in the US .99 cents total and $1.99 per minute in Mexico total. This is good insurance that you will always have communications, even when you are out of VHF range. With my race truck we use VHF for our primary communications, but if we are out of range we goto Sat phone. This works great because now the chase trucks don't have to worry if the car breaks down out of range. If the truck goes down we try VHF first then break out the Sat phone and get the help we need coming. My father the Weatherman loves this because this takes a huge load of his relay duties off his back. Back to the Indy race, looks like Robby is having fueling problems. One last thing, I would like to thank my father for his 25 years of volunteer help as the Weatherman, and for the financial support he gives me in my offroad racing endeavors. Dad your the best!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Bill

Carlos Danger
I too would like to say thank`s to weatherman. Bob thank`s for all the help and time you`ve donated over the years.Thank`s again Bill Markel

Dave_G

Tim,
On a side note here.....the aviation industry now has in development an emergency locator transmitter (ELT) that transmits the lat lon position and N-number of the airplane. Should make finding downed airplanes much easier in the near future thanks to GPS technology.

Dave

Marshall

Jeff,
Did you ever see the old movie ( early 80's) "Time Rider"? The main guy was a desert racer who got sent back in time. Anyway, He had a tape player that he played with pace notes or directions that he had made pre-running. Your idea just sounded simular, just the 2002 version. Poor guy still got lost:) but ended up with a hot chick ( only in the movies)
MW

TimHayosh

Dave, as an Engineer for a major airline, I can tell you that we don't use anything like that. Although, it's something will happen (here) in a while, we still use the old "pinger". The GPS encoded ELT will be standard in the future I'm sure.

Happy motoring, Tim

pciscott

Terrie I suggest you mount it on the passenger visor, remember bigger is better because it is easier for the Co-driver to see. If it still wont fit we have the Globalmap 2400 which is the same size as the 1600, but has the same great features as the MT3000. Hope this helps and call me if you want to exchange it.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

TimHayosh

Terrie, we have our 3000MT mounted on the "dash" just in front of the co-driver in the class 10 that I drive. It is on the supplied mounting bracket. It is not the best place, but it works. Originally, we tried to mount it up in the visor area, but it hung down too far. I just ordered the "sun shade" from LEI. They said it installs into the bezel around the screen and extends about 4" out. It's $15. I'm gonna try it for the B500.

Scott (PCI), Lowrance has the 2.3.0 update on their website, is that the same update you have? Or, do you have 2.2.0?

Happy motoring, Tim