GPS

tkr

Reaction
I have two mapping programs, MapCreate 6, and Maptech Terrain Navigator and have noticed they express GPS coordinates differently than MDR, and possibly other organizaions, publish them. In the programs they use a format such as 34*30'3.0", where the published data is 34*33.630'. Does anyone know why they do this or any way to change the way the programs express the coordinates? Seems waaaayyyy to time consuming to convert each coordinate one by one...

Thanks for the help,

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Crayfish

Reaction
My Magellan mapping software expresses the coordinates the same as MDR has them listed.
I have tried to copy and paste each coordinate separately and it changes to 34*00.00' every time, kinda wierd and it's time consuming as well. I have to type each one in indivdually. At least it can be saved for next year.

tkr

Reaction
ya, I can enter waypoints directly into the Lowrance GPS using the same format as MDR, but the software that goes with it uses the other format. It seems like there has to be a way to change it...

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Matt,

In your example, 34*30'3.0, the coordinates are being shown in Degrees, Minutes, Seconds and Tenths of a Second.

In your example, 34*33.630', the coordinates are being shown in Degrees, Minutes and Thousandths of a Second.

You can change the Coordinate System being used on your Lowrance unit from the GPS Setup menu.

Reese King

tkr

Reaction
Thanks Reese. I actually figured out how to change it in MapCreate last night. Must have looked right past the option a dozen times...
Thanks for help anyway.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing