• Forum membership has its advantages....

GPS

mustafa

Does anybody have any good recommendations for a GPS unit? Fry's has a Magellan 315 and a
Garmin etrex for around 130 dollars. I even found one store that had a Magellan blazer 12 for 70
dollars. It will only be used for off-roading (mostly in Mexico). Thanks in advance.

send more money, guns and lawyers

Gabe Lara

Mustafa,
Are you going to mount it in a vehicle or do you want something a bit more portable?
The Magellans are all really nice, but it depends on how you plan to use it.
Be sure and check all the functions you'll need it for, I know alot are very basic, so be careful.

Jimmy8

We have a Garmin portable unit. It works pretty good, but we mostly use it for elevations for jetting our trucks. The Ford guy at the last BITD race, said that the garmins are not very good for entering a lot of data into, and with the amount they have they should know. If you ever go to a BITD race, Ford has a GPS seminar before every one. It is open for everyone, and they give all kinds info to load into the things. I havent been to one, but I heard they are pretty cool. Check it out if you ever go to a BITD race.

pjc

Chairman
I strongly suggest the Lowrance 1600 model. It's not the fanciest by far but it is the easiest to use with the BFG Race Course Plot files that are availble for Baja and BITD races. It also supports an industry standard data output format that many of the PC/Laptop based moving map programs can read. Another nice feature is the ability to drill down to something like a 60' range. You can actually drive by the GPS. Lastly, just about every race car in Baja has one of these isntalled. Once you learn to use one, you'll be a better driver or a more valuable co-driver.

PJCinLV

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
At the last snore race the terribles midnight the officials put a small GPS on one of the race cars as a test . I am not sure of the brand but it was small . The reason for the test they said is that next year all cars will run with GPS units on the cars to keep every one on the course .

mustafa

Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and bought the Magellan 315. Gabe, I will be using it for my motorcycle which leads to another question. Should it be mounted to
my bike, or is better to keep it in my pack or jacket. Pat, I couldn't find a Lowrance anywhere. I tried all the major electronic stores to no avail.

send more money, guns and lawyers

pjc

Chairman
Mustafa,

The Lowrance units can be purchased at PCI Race Radios in Signal Hill, CA,

Thanks

PJCinLV