Grand Cherokee reah hatch latch broken...?

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Girlfriend has a '97 GC and the rear liftgate won't open, so we're forced to just use the glass opening for now. Seems that this is a common occurance on GC's, but I did a search to no avail. Hope someone knows what I can do...thanks RDC people.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Sorry, but no. I think that program is the biggest joke ever.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
I put over 200k on my first Jeep GC and the second is up to about 165k! Both were 97's, same model and even the same color. The first had the hatch hang up a few times. I finally figured out that I had to push on the hatch then pull instead of just pulling. After the umpteenth time I finally adjusted the latch and it never stuck again. I never knew it to be a common problem though.

Tipracer

Reaction
does it have the latch pin that sticks up from the bottom?

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
My daughters is broken too. Can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
I put over 200k on my first Jeep GC and the second is up to about 165k! Both were 97's, same model and even the same color. The first had the hatch hang up a few times. I finally figured out that I had to push on the hatch then pull instead of just pulling. After the umpteenth time I finally adjusted the latch and it never stuck again. I never knew it to be a common problem though.

GOnna give this a try, and once I can get it open I can answer the question below..
does it have the latch pin that sticks up from the bottom?
...but I am pretty sure it does...
My daughters is broken too. Can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

Once I get it fixed, you'll be the next to know how to solve this stupid, stupid problem!!:rolleyes:

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
Once I get it fixed, you'll be the next to know how to solve this stupid, stupid problem!!:rolleyes:

Thanks. My daughters car rear window does not come down so we are stuck with shoving stuff in the 2nd seat.

06dak287

Reaction
my GF's GC had the same problem. pop the little square access door off from the inside and manually open the hatch. once its open, pop the plastic trimming off and youll see the rods that run every which way...youll notice theres probably one that is just hanging there. the green (color?) clip the holds those rods in is probably broke, or gone. i just zip tied the rod back on the lever... voila. better than factory.

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
my GF's GC had the same problem. pop the little square access door off from the inside and manually open the hatch. once its open, pop the plastic trimming off and youll see the rods that run every which way...youll notice theres probably one that is just hanging there. the green (color?) clip the holds those rods in is probably broke, or gone. i just zip tied the rod back on the lever... voila. better than factory.

cool - I'm going to try this. Thanks

Regarding her rear window - I made it sound like it's broke too. Her model has a solid window. Does not move up and down. If that makes a difference.

Sparky

Reaction
When all else fails... www.jeepsunlimited.com

Go to the GC forums up there and search. You are not the first to have this problem.